forum: Chicken

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Tue 08 Jan 08 5:54pm

nicolesa

Member since Tue 08 Jan 08

Re: Jamie's Fowl Dinners

The arguments put forward are the ones I hear every day that are simply not true.  Millions of years ago when humans were closer to chimps, meat still only made up 0.5% of their daily diet.  They only consumed meat when there were no alternatives available as a means of survival.  We no longer need meat to survive and therefore eating meat is simply selfish, there is absolutely no need for it.Have you ever seen a horse's canine teeth?  They're dramatically bigger than a human's and yet they don't eat meat.  Have you seen a tiger's canine teeth?  Now they are meat eating teeth!  Did you know all carnivorous animals have an incredibly short intestinal tract so that meat can pass quickly through?  Humans on the other hand have an unbelievably long intestinal tract which is why all meat eaters have at least 5lbs of rotting animal flesh in their colons...hence colon cancer.  We are not designed to eat meat!!  The human body does not even produce enough lactic acid to digest meat.  We are herbivores by nature, only in cases of starvation are humans supposed to eat meat to survive.  As that's not the case in Western society it seems ridiculous to subject innocent and defenceless animals to unneccessay pain.

All I ask of people is to at least do their research before trying to debate this topic and justify why they actively support cruel and heartless torture by buying and consuming meat and dairy.

Likes (0)

#12 Tue 08 Jan 08 6:03pm

nicolesa

Oh and another random fact for everyone: even dogs are omnivorous and therefore could very healthily live on a vegetarian diet.

In regards to what people feed their children, if it consists of meat and dairy you may as well seal their fate of getting high blood pressure, high cholesterol, various heart diseases and cancers.

Please do your research about what you put into your own mouth, for the sake of your health even if you don't care about any other living creatures.

Likes (0)

#13 Tue 08 Jan 08 6:06pm

Poet

Member since Mon 07 Jan 08

mummza wrote:

I have never and would never suggest that we should behave like dogs. shocked

I also did not state any prefrence in my meat shopping habits.

I too would like to keep chicken but I feel that my tiny garden is inadequate for the purpous.  I realise that chickens can be kept in small spaces but I for one would not do that and so ..no chickens.

I was merely challenging your point about us evolving teeth for the purpose of eating meat.  Not a valid argument IMO.

Likes (0)

#14 Tue 08 Jan 08 8:27pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

nicolesa wrote:

Humans on the other hand have an unbelievably long intestinal tract which is why all meat eaters have at least 5lbs of rotting animal flesh in their colons...hence colon cancer.  We are not designed to eat meat!!

nicolesa, I am sitting here wondering where on earth you got this bizzare information from.

I am amazed that you beleive anyone would regulaly eat 5lbs of meat . I definatly know that I do not even buy that much meat for my family in a whole week, a family , not an individual person!

If that amount of meat as you suggest ....is in their colons at any one time then there is something seriosly wrong with their diet , it can't possibly contain enough cereals, vegetables and fruits , or in other words fiber.

Also the meat in the digestive tracts of a human is being susessfully broken down and digestied

http://www.guam.net/pub/sshs/depart/sci … rition.htm

Likes (0)

#15 Tue 08 Jan 08 8:28pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Poet, sorry I do not undestand your abreviation ....IMO

Likes (0)

#16 Tue 08 Jan 08 8:34pm

Poet

Member since Mon 07 Jan 08

sorry, it means 'in my opinion'

Likes (0)

#17 Tue 08 Jan 08 8:36pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

thanks Poet.

Likes (0)

#18 Tue 08 Jan 08 10:53pm

Dr Friol

Hello All

I just wanted to add my 2p worth in the interests of balance. There seem to be many threads on this topic and unfortunatly I don't have the time to read them all so I'll apologise if the points I make are not new.

I should firstly say that I didn't actually see the TV prog, but it has long been common knowlege that the vast majority of chickens (and eggs)  come from battery farms.

Chicken is a nutitious meat which is low in fat and a rich source of high biological value protein and is a very valuable part of balanced diet. Other meats such as beef, pork and lamb contain a considerably higher proportion of animal fat, which in turn may lead to raised cholesterol levels which is known to be a predisposing factor in cardiovascular disease.

It is also well established that the more socially disadvantaged among us are more likely to have poorer diets. It follows that making chicken readily available by keeping it cheap (no pun intended) is an efficacious public health measure. This is especially relevant in the case of growing children who need a healthy diet to thrive.

Of course there is an emotional argument regarding the conditions in which these birds are kept, but they're chickens for heaven's sake; they still work with their heads chopped off! It should also be pointed out that from the farmer's viewpoint there is little advantage in raising animals of any kind that are unhealthy and do not produce a good yield of meat.

Jamie quite rightly made a big point of drawing public attention to the poor diet of many school children. Surely he doesn't now think that  chickens are more important?

Likes (0)

#19 Tue 08 Jan 08 11:22pm

Dr Friol

nicolesa wrote:

The arguments put forward are the ones I hear every day that are simply not true.  Millions of years ago when humans were closer to chimps, meat still only made up 0.5% of their daily diet.  They only consumed meat when there were no alternatives available as a means of survival.  We no longer need meat to survive and therefore eating meat is simply selfish, there is absolutely no need for it.Have you ever seen a horse's canine teeth?  They're dramatically bigger than a human's and yet they don't eat meat.  Have you seen a tiger's canine teeth?  Now they are meat eating teeth!  Did you know all carnivorous animals have an incredibly short intestinal tract so that meat can pass quickly through?  Humans on the other hand have an unbelievably long intestinal tract which is why all meat eaters have at least 5lbs of rotting animal flesh in their colons...hence colon cancer.  We are not designed to eat meat!!  The human body does not even produce enough lactic acid to digest meat.  We are herbivores by nature, only in cases of starvation are humans supposed to eat meat to survive.  As that's not the case in Western society it seems ridiculous to subject innocent and defenceless animals to unneccessay pain.

All I ask of people is to at least do their research before trying to debate this topic and justify why they actively support cruel and heartless torture by buying and consuming meat and dairy.

Who has told you this utter rubbish? Humans have never been 'closer to chimps'. We both evolved from a common ancestor, but your statement shows a woeful lack of knowlege of basic biology. And some monkeys more distantly related to humans will quite happily eat other monkeys. Alive! For fun! Achieving the necessary balance of essential amino acids the human body needs is virtually impossible without a source of animal protein. A horse's teeth are broad and flat (including the canines) and their size reflects the size of the animal.

Vegan animals spend nearly all their day grazing. They have to in order to get enough of the amino acids (the basic building blocks of protein) to make vegetables into animals. They have more complex digestive sysstems often with several 'stomachs' (a cow has four). Humans have a typical digestive system of an omnivore - which means it has evolved to consume animal and vegetable sources of nutrition. Oh, and lactic acid is produced in muscle during anaerobic exercise. It plays no part in the digestion of protein.

Of course you are perfectly entitled to hold your views, but please don't try to foist them on others by trying to support them with psuedoscientific  arguments.

Likes (0)

#20 Tue 08 Jan 08 11:49pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Welcome to the forums Dr Friol  big_smile

Thankyou for writing such a good post , I am afraid that I had started off this little variation on the theme by suggesting that humans had teeth that were designed to eat meat.

Likes (0)