forum: Chicken

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Tue 08 Jan 08 7:35pm

chixgbsdg

Member since Mon 07 Jan 08

Re: Battery Farming

Poet

I'm very pleased you get pleasure from your chickens.

I would assume they are egg layers and not the type bred for meat that the free range and organic growers would use.

When we had chickens wandering about the farmyard many moons ago, they would have a clutch of chicks in freezing weather and as long as the little ones kept running back to mum for a warm up under her wing, they were fine. Compare that to a modern organic system that broods the chicks at 30 deg C for the first 3 weeks in a shed exactly the same as an intensive one, then they are moved to outdoor arks. They have to be encouraged out by putting their food and water outside.

A different scenario to the farm yard fowl, but necessary to get the right sort of breed to grow commercially.

Likes (0)

#12 Tue 08 Jan 08 7:45pm

Poet

Member since Mon 07 Jan 08

chixgbsdg wrote:

Poet

I'm very pleased you get pleasure from your chickens.

I would assume they are egg layers and not the type bred for meat that the free range and organic growers would use.

When we had chickens wandering about the farmyard many moons ago, they would have a clutch of chicks in freezing weather and as long as the little ones kept running back to mum for a warm up under her wing, they were fine. Compare that to a modern organic system that broods the chicks at 30 deg C for the first 3 weeks in a shed exactly the same as an intensive one, then they are moved to outdoor arks. They have to be encouraged out by putting their food and water outside.

A different scenario to the farm yard fowl, but necessary to get the right sort of breed to grow commercially.

my chickens are rescued ex batts, another industry that appalls me.

Our girls had to be encouraged out at first as they'd never been outside before, poor things.  However, they love it now.  Digging, dust bathing, running around, being chickens as nature intended!  big_smile

Thank you for an interesting debate, I'd still like to see your set up for myself, maybe that would sway my opinion but until that happens, sorry I still will be going down the free range route.

Last edited by Poet (Tue 08 Jan 08 7:46pm)

Likes (0)

#13 Thu 06 Nov 08 6:02am

miryam

Member since Tue 28 Oct 08

I encourage all you guys to stop buying bad quality chickens, they only suffer in those cages, and at the end is our health who pays consecuences, buy organic chicken!!

Likes (0)

#14 Sun 02 May 10 3:17pm

scottjade

Member since Sun 02 May 10

just over a week ago I became the proud adoptive mum to 4 rescue hens.  After watching them for a couple days, taking note of their natural behaviour (I hadn't taken much notice before), realised how cruel sitting in a small cage for 18 months is for them.

It was sad to see bare flesh where feathers had rubbed away and no feathers on their wings.  New growth has started so in a couple of months they should look totally different.

If anyone can direct me to an ongoing campaign to make this farming illegal I will be most grateful.

Likes (0)

#15 Sun 02 May 10 4:20pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Good for you, Scottjade.  I really miss my girls and plan to get some more as soon as I get back home and refurbish the old coop.

Likes (0)

#16 Tue 18 May 10 4:50pm

kiprosewood12

Occupation Student
From South Wales
Member since Sat 20 Feb 10

sick, i dont know how thair concience lets them do it angry  mad

Likes (0)

#17 Tue 18 May 10 9:49pm

cannyfradock

Occupation Builder (bricklayer/ stonemason)
From S.Wales.
Member since Sat 10 Oct 09

I am a carnivore by choice and although many vegetarians and vegan's put us down for choosing to eat meat, I still respect their opinions and beliefs.

I would love to be able to choose between organic/free range chickens and intensively farmed chickens, but unfortunately my income only allows me a limited budget when I go food shopping. So to meet the family's healthy daily diet of occasional meat and vegetarian dishes, I buy a plump chicken on the weekend, which provides 2 good meals for a family of four, for 5.

If I was afforded the choice, I would buy free range, but that would still not give me the right to condemn other people who were not as fortunate as myself, as people who exist on tight budgets can very seldom buy meats with the comfort of choice.........

Terry  C.F)

Likes (0)

#18 Thu 10 Jun 10 8:01pm

kiprosewood12

Occupation Student
From South Wales
Member since Sat 20 Feb 10

puke  that really explains it all

Likes (0)

#19 Tue 22 Jun 10 9:30pm

cannyfradock

Occupation Builder (bricklayer/ stonemason)
From S.Wales.
Member since Sat 10 Oct 09

I feel guilty now....... oops for what I said...........

Terry

Likes (0)

#20 Tue 22 Jun 10 10:05pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

You could always edit your post then and remove whatever makes you full of guilt Terry.
( would that make you feel any better ?)

Likes (0)