forum: Chicken

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Wed 09 Jan 08 6:47pm

chixgbsdg

Member since Mon 07 Jan 08

Re: Comments on HFW's CH4 programmes

Poet

Looked at the Forster website - don't see any chickens though. Interestingly, I just read through their benefits of organic. I would love to go through that item by item with you as most of it is a marketing con, believe me - but that is not the subject of this section.

Likes (0)

#12 Fri 11 Jan 08 11:55am

coe114c

Member since Sun 28 Jan 07

I would just like to comment that Jamie is a huge hypocrite, he comes on and lambasts intensive poultry farming yet every day he is on TV getting paid huge amounts for advertising Sainsbury's.  I've never liked the man, he is an irritating little oik and I see he hasn't even had the decency to respond to people's comments.
At least Hugh F-W (I'm not a huge fan of his either) stuck by his principles and refused to promote Tesco.

Likes (0)

#13 Fri 11 Jan 08 1:09pm

chixgbsdg

Member since Mon 07 Jan 08

coe114c - I wasn't going to be quite as blunt as you, but I know that Jamie will receive a massive amount of press and TV time by this chicken campaign.

I know he is a business man and he is doing an excellent job of promoting himself. Good luck to him. What really annoys me is that on his way to the top he is trying to ruin a very slick industry by using sensationalism and shock tactics and I don't think he has thought of the consequences.

One of which is the fact that world grain prices have doubled in the last 6 months, and other costs of raising chicken are soaring. This means that the price of chicken is rising at the moment but has got a long way to go yet. This will certainly put the free range out of a lot of people's price range and if he succeeded in ruining the Red Tractor type of chicken farming, the imports will come flooding in from Brazil and Thailand, some of which is grown to a standard that even I would object to - I've been there and seen it!

Just watch his programme tonight and check out the shock tactics and sensationalism. I will be watching from a chicken grower's point of view to see if he is being reasonable, idealist or just on another self promotion.

Likes (0)

#14 Fri 11 Jan 08 11:17pm

lisamcginn

Member since Fri 11 Jan 08

After watching HFW's series regarding the 'Chicken Out' campaign I was extremely affected and influenced both as an ex-vegetarian(Yes I know some people will question this but I have perfectly good reasons) and as a mother of an 8 month old child. I myself only ever buy free range and organic meat and poultry from local farm sources, however I was concerned when, out of interest, whilst doing my weekly Tesco shopping, I ventured into Tescos Poultry & Meat isle in a quest to discover the free range chicken options. I was DISGUSTED to discover that the only product available on the shelves was free range chicken drumsticks!!!

I am encouraging friends and family to follow the free range / organic sources of meat & poultry. Yes, it's slightly more expensive but the taste is better and you can at least help promote animal welfare.

Likes (0)

#15 Fri 11 Jan 08 11:32pm

Richard Loweth

From East Midlands
Member since Mon 29 Nov 04

The sad reality of this all is that the problem will simply be transferred. AT worst, or best, intensive rearing of birds in the UK and EC will either be banned OR intensive rearing of birds in the UK will collapse as people don't buy them. What will then happen is as there will still be a demand for cheap chicken is that we will just see these chickens being sourced in the Far East and imported here.

That is what currently happens with the chicken meat in your cheap high street chicken and burger bars. Sometimes all the best intentions only lead to the worst ends. I still find it hard that Jamie Oliver feels it fine to endorse caged farm salmon! For this is an industry with parctices that not only are intensive but environmentally damaging.

Likes (0)

#16 Fri 11 Jan 08 11:36pm

Alex G

Forum champ
Occupation Student/Commis chef
From Brighton/ Bournemouth
Member since Sat 29 Oct 05

chixgbsdg, I take it you work in the industry of broiler chickens? Would it be possible to post some pictures of the conditions of the chickens in which you work?

Likes (0)

#17 Fri 11 Jan 08 11:40pm

lisamcginn

After just watching Jamie Oliver's Show I was appauled to see an advertisement for his next series of cookery programmes.

Was it all just an advertising campaign on the sickest level??

Last edited by lisamcginn (Fri 11 Jan 08 11:42pm)

Likes (0)

#18 Fri 11 Jan 08 11:54pm

Panhandle

From around
Member since Mon 19 Jul 04

You can't seriously be that dim can you lisa?

big_smile

Likes (0)

#19 Sat 12 Jan 08 12:36am

lisamcginn

Well I'm HOPING NOT!!!

I am totally behind HFW & Jamies's quest. I think it is about time that the conditions that chickens have to endure is brought into the public realm.

I grew up within a self-sufficient lifesyle wherein we were thankful for the eggs we collected from rescued battery chickens.

I just hope that things do change for the better.

Likes (0)

#20 Sat 12 Jan 08 12:39am

Pete

Forum champ
From The Office
Member since Tue 18 May 04

Easy panhandle.. remember the rules of the forum  wink

I think it was Channel 4 that put that ad there Lisa, not something that jamie had any control over. it'd have been a bit of an expensive advert anyway!

Likes (0)