Jamie Oliver

forum: Chicken

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 25 Mar 08 6:27pm

mutzi

Occupation Wife, mother and jack of all trades!
From Derbyshire UK
Member since Tue 25 Mar 08

Cockerel Noise Nuisance??

Can anyone help us?

Our lovely cockerel is under threat!

We live in a semi rural location in Derbyshire and have kept chickens for over twenty years.
All was well until a new estate was built behind our properties (there are three of us that keep chickens). Suddenly a couple of the new residents have taken exception to our way of life and have complained to the council about our birds waking them early in the mornings. Strange that we don't hear them?? As a result the council is threatening us with a
£ 20,000 fine!! Help!!

We'd like to fight this if it's not a lost cause, anyone got any ideas?
sad

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 25 Mar 08 6:35pm

Captain C

Forum champ
Occupation Sales
From Essex
Member since Tue 05 Feb 08

Re: Cockerel Noise Nuisance??

£20 g's that a bit harsh, buy them some earmuffs, gotta be cheaper.
Seriously though, surely environmental health would need to monitor the situation, they always try to scare you off with letters about hefty fines first. Maybe worth seeking some legal advice, try your local CAB ?
Maybe some of the fellow chicken keepers here will be able to provide some useful advice......

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 25 Mar 08 8:06pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

The threat of a £20,000 fine is a pretty standard scare tactic used by district councils, to find out if you are going to just give up & crawl away (it's a much cheaper first option for them than getting into complex discussions with you, if they can get you scared enough to back off without a fight).

The advice to go to Citizen's Advice Bureau is a good one..........ring them first & find out which day they have their duty solicitor in (a bit of free advice won't hurt), make an appointment & go find out where you stand.

One thing to check first tho': check the deeds of your property to make sure there isn't any mention of bye-laws that may prevent you keeping livestock in the first place.........just because no-one's complained before, doesn't necessarily mean its allowed! If that's all ok, join forces with your other chicken-owning neighbours before dealing with the council alone, & ask around if there is any photographic or other evidence to support the fact that you were keeping livestock way before the estate was built. 

Don't be put off by the thought that the council is bigger & scarier than you are.....................remember, they are public SERVANTS, & through YOUR taxes, they are paid!

I took my council on & won last year. Good luck to you thumbsup !

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 26 Mar 08 7:08pm

mutzi

From Derbyshire UK

Thanks for your messages of support guys, I'll give your CAB suggestions a go. I'm pretty sure we're ok to keep livestock here as the whole area was agricultural before the urban spread (our house is 150 years old), and I'm sure the council would have been quick to point it out if we were keeping our birds illegally. I wrote to them in 2001 and 2002 when it was all at the planning stage so they knew there was a potential problem even back then. Apparently the woman from the council has personally monitored the crowing at 0600 (she must be dead keen!).
Sadly since my last blog our next door neighbour has given his boy away and he's bereft. Our next door but one neighbour however is of the same mind as us but I did feel it necessary to discourage his suggestion that we should all go round there and stick their letters of complaint where the sun don't shine!
It's really horrible to know that we have close to us these anonymous people who want us to change our way of life after 20 odd years of never bothering anybody. Surely if you move to a semi rural area you have to expect that your neighbours may have some good life type habits and just accept it. We've accepted their barking dogs and screaming kids without complaint, what's wrong with these people??
(NB. Our dog has stopped barking now that she's got used to them, and the kids don't scream so much now they're in their twenties!)
Anyway, thanks again you good people, it's great to know that not everyone's against us and you've given me more determination to fight on. The woman from the council is coming to see us on Friday so I'll keep you posted!
Regards,
Mutzi  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 27 Mar 08 2:56am

perfect12386

Occupation Customer Services at the Sage, Gateshead.
From Near Newcastle Upon Tyne
Member since Sat 26 Jan 08

Gosh, I'm sure some people only live to complain about others.  I've lost count of how many time I've been sat on a till and a customer has complained about there being no tomatoes or something equally as lame, as if it's my fault!!! 

Also, there was a woman who lived just behind the stables called the RSPCA to try and get rid of the horses because she didn't like the fact that the muckheap was on the other side of the fence at the bottom of the garden.  If she didn't like the muckheap being there than the stupid woman shouldn't of even bought the house!!!  Stables have been there 35 years.  The house has been there 6 years.

Pleased you're fighting it.  Some people really need to start looking for more interesting things to do other than complaining about other people all the time.

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 27 Mar 08 3:45pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

.........same as the people who move from town to a village & complain that they can smell "cow" when the farmers are muck-spreading!

.........& 2 villages away from us there was a development of 4 "executive homes" (5 bed monstrosities......& that word doesn't even come close to describe the people who moved into them). One of these "newbies" complained that the church bells were keeping her awake on Sunday mornings (she lives opposite the church) & could the vicar please stop ringing them or do it later?.............the bells concerned were to call the faithfull to the 10.30 family service! She suggested anytime after 1pm would be fine as she likes a lie-in on a Sunday! We don't think her family will last long!! clap

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 28 Mar 08 2:19pm

mutzi

From Derbyshire UK

Gosh aren't some people selfish?!!
The woman from the council came to see us this morning and seemed a lot more amenable than we expected, which was nice but made me suspicious!
She explained that she would much rather try and solve the problem amicably and that she had no powers to make us get rid of our cockerel, only to fine us (up to) £20,000 for noise nuisance.
That's ok then!
We showed her our brick built chicken house newly refurbished at great expense to ourselves and further away from the boundary than our old wooden house was, and I have to say she did seem suitably impressed. She said she would report back to the "newbies" and hoped it would be enough to appease them.
Since next door's boy moved on it has been quieter in the mornings but just wait 'til midsummer! As I said before we don't hear him at all, only if we're already awake, maybe they just need more time to get used to him.
We won't be giving him up without a fight whatever happens.
John next door but one is all revved up to start a war but I don't know how wise that is!
Let's just sit tight and see what happens now, we've still got the CAB option.
Watch this space! hmm
PS. D'you think the newbies will complain when my runner bean row is overshadowing their patios? big_smile

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 28 Mar 08 4:51pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

There are some people who will complain about anything.

I used to live in a large Victorian vicarge in an acre of grounds - we had 85 mature trees in the garden, some dating back to before even the vicarage was built.

One next door neighbour was a constant complainer from the moment they moved in. thei constant complaint was that they wanted all the trees to be felled.

1st, they put up a washing line near one of our largest tres - and complained that birds were sh*tting on their washing.

Then, built a greenhouse - and compalined that the trees wer shading it.

Next, they built an extension, right up to the boundary, and complained that the leaves were blocking their gutters.

Needless to say, they got short shrift from me - though they complained to the council, in the local newspaper and even tried to get up a petition. The councils response was to request a preservation order on all the trees to make sure they could not be touched - a request we were happy to comply with :-)

Another neighbour took out an enforcement order requiring us to repair the boundary wall - it was dropped when I pointed out that the previous tenant in their house had pulled down the wall to make a rockery - and they were required to rebuild it at their own expense - I quite enjoyed making sure that they had it rebuilt to the required standard by a proper dry-stone waller  instead of their first two attempts with cowboys :-)

I generally find council officers quite helpful when it comes to disputes with neighbours - though I suppose it helps that I am quite well known to councillors and council official locally with some of my other hats on.

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 28 Mar 08 6:05pm

choc chops

Forum champ
Occupation Restaurant Manageres
From Essex
Member since Mon 24 Mar 08

take your cockerel out on a lead for a walk and let in poo in there garden!!  That will give them something interesting to moan about!!   lol

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 23 Oct 10 9:58am

smiley83

Member since Sat 23 Oct 10

How can you call other people 'selfish' when you own an animal in an enclosed neighbourhood that starts crowing anywhere from 5am onwards! THAT'S selfish! Most of our neighbours have chickens, and that's sweet, productive and a neat hobby. But a cockerel? I think it's the users of this thread that are the selfish ones...

Likes (0)