forum: Chicken

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 06 Apr 08 10:15pm

speckle

Member since Sun 06 Apr 08

what the law says about keeping cockerels

I live in a village and I bought 2 hens and two baby chickens. One of the chick has grown into a cockerel. He is a grown up now and has desire to sing his lung out at various times of the day. My neighbours at the rear came to complain today about the noise and said that there is a law that does not allow to keep cockerel in residential areas. We live in a village in the counteryside.

I would like to know if there is such a law and would it apply in the village settings.

Can you advise what to do as I would not like to get rid of him as he is a very beutiful silkyhead cockerel.

Last edited by speckle (Sun 06 Apr 08 10:35pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 07 Apr 08 2:26am

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Re: what the law says about keeping cockerels

Talk to the Citizen's Advice Bureau in your nearest town, they will give you good, free advice.

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 07 Apr 08 4:47pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

There is no National Law about keeping chickens or cockerels in a residential area, unless it is a commercial enterprise.

However, there may be local bye-laws about keeping livestock, or there may be restrictive covenants on your house or land which govern the keeping of livestock. There is also the laws relating to "Nuisance" - whether from noise or otherwise, and the laws relating to cruelty to animals - though I am sure that the latter will not apply in your case.

Consult Citizens advice, or talk to others who keep chickens locally - they may be able to help. Don't let picky neighbours get away with telling you that "they'll have the law on you".

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 14 Apr 08 2:15pm

lesedwards67

Member since Wed 23 Jan 08

hello,
I live in a residential area and the same happened to me, One of my girls went broody, I already had a cockrel but to be honest his crow was quieter than the girls when there were hungry .I let her sit on her 5 eggs, 2 were empty , 3 hatched , 1 chick died and the 2 left wer cockrels,  hmm .I rang our local council (rotherham) and there were no laws to say you could not keep cockrels they just said if there were any complaints I may have to keep them locked up till 8am (only fair ) I have to say I think I am know as the mad chicken woman on the end of the road but who cares really, its a shame some people are ssooooooo narrow minded. mad
Also different breeds have different crows so if you don't mind which breed you keep look for a quieter breed. I have a Brahma who is a good lad.
all the best, Lesley xx big_smile

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 22 May 08 11:35pm

Specky

Member since Thu 22 May 08

"Picky neighbours" , "narrow minded people" - what about consideration for others ? Cockerels are a self-indulgent luxury that aren't appropriate in residential areas.

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 27 May 08 1:23pm

little dog

Member since Tue 27 May 08

Your home is supposed to be somewhere that is safe and you can feel comfortable in - why so dome people have to try and make it as unpleasant as posisble for you??  Narrow minded people - I agree!!  Try living under the flight path of the Hercs that fliy in and out of Lyneham - they are a lot noisier than my 'natural' cockerel, but who moans about them??  Personally I believe in live ane let live. big_smile

I have had various dealings with my local Environmental Health department regarding "noisy boy" - and I have found them to be pretty helpful.  They were very open to meet me (and him!) and acted as 'mediators' when I agreed to move my cockerel from back to front garden, away from the neighbours who disliked his crowing.   thumbsup

Sadly now my hen who lived happily with him has died - I need a new home for my cockerel as it is not fair to keep him on his ownsome  help any body any ideas?  I live in rural Wiltshire, there must be someone out there who has some hens that need some loving!!

Thanks

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 10 Jun 08 6:45pm

beedjay

Member since Fri 30 May 08

i was at  a freinds house on the wknd and the neighbor's rooster crowed from 3am until morning.  i felt pretty tired and haggard the next day and thought that there must be a way to keep him quiet...or quieter.   people need to sleep.  in the old days EVERYBODY got up at 4am to do the farm chores.  life is different now....but as another post says.  it's about consideration for others.  it's appropriate to live and let live-- but if you are not letting me sleep.  WATCH OUT.
bj
p.s.
sorry about your loss and your lonely bird.

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 10 Aug 08 11:11am

MrsChicken1954

Member since Sun 10 Aug 08

I only just spotted this, so hope I'm not too late to contribute. We also have a very noisy cockerel (and a quiet one). I think I should be free to keep a noisy cockerel if I like but I also think my neighbours have a right to sleep a reasonable number of hours. At present we keep him at night in a little double glazed building in the garden where our visitors usually stay and let him out at 6.30 - I think this is reasonable as if you go to work you probably have to get up about then anyway. If you don't go to work then you can sleep when you like really. Anyway, we intend to build a small breeze-block building for him which will hold sufficient air to keep him going all night until 6.30 in the morning and which will contain the noise. I think to "live and let live" you could add "a little give and take".

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 10 Aug 08 6:27pm

adajeannie

From South Africa
Member since Tue 27 May 08

our neighbours have four children and six dogs.... the one is noisier than the other.... but luckily they are only noisy in the afternoon and in the morning at around 7....

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 19 Aug 08 1:41am

ladypup

Member since Tue 19 Aug 08

Hi,
Here in Australia unfortunately there is such a ruling, and we also had complaints from our neighbours and we live in a similar place, small wine growing country village. I could not bring myself to get rid of my cockerel, so what I do each night is he has his own little wooden box with a lid and air holes. We place him in it at 10.30 at night or thereabouts in the hen house, he has straw and is quite happy to go into it now, it is not tall enough for him to stretch up to allow him to crow, and we let him out with the hens at 8am. We now call him chook-in-a-box. He is happy and we have saved his life, and the neighbours no longer complain. thumbsup

Likes (0)