forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 08 Apr 08 2:47pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Freezing Fresh Homemade Pasta

How doe anyone feel about freezing homemade pasta and ravioli?  Is the ravioli breaking because the water is boiling too rapidly or am I rolling the dough too thin?

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 08 Apr 08 3:16pm

Hadleigh

Occupation family support practitioner
From suffolk
Member since Wed 17 Oct 07

Re: Freezing Fresh Homemade Pasta

Hi Ms Pablo,
Freeze quite a lot of my own fresh pasta. Only draw back is that it needs quite a lot of freezer space.
I tend to make portions of taglionlini/taglitelle and place them in a high sided plastic container and then cover with foil.
To cook just pop frozen pasta in the boiling water for 3-5 mins (depends on thickness) and transfer to your sauce.
Could be lots of reasons why your ravioli splits, like you say, water to aggresive, pasta too thin. Could also be your recipie.
Have a great one that I use from a chef called giorgio locatelli. Will post if you like.
What he explains in the book is to keep trying different ways, and recipies until you find your perfect combination.

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 11 Apr 08 5:28pm

Jamie

Chef
From Fifteen Restaurant, London
Member since Wed 24 Mar 04

Ok tiger stick with the pasta making as you will get really good at it and I always say 100 grams of flour to 1 egg, mix it all up in a food processor or by hand with a fork and a bowl and give it a good old kneading. Then whether you are rolling it out by hand or putting it through a pasta machine you can make all of those lovely different shapes of pasta. Now freezing, allot has changed in Italy over the years and yes of course there is still wonderful cooking going on but they also freeze their pasta as well. I have been to some incredible restaurants where they will have a “pasta day” where the staff make wonderful tortellini and ravioli’s and they still fill them with wonderful ingredients but what they actually do is that they will lay them very carefully on a little tray of flour. Then what they do is as soon as they have done a little tray some of them use those little reusable tinfoil take away tins, they put flour in the bottom and then they put a portion of ravioli or tagliatelle in there and they freeze it straight away. Now if you do freeze it straight away it won’t stick and it will last for months and months in the freezer and if you have made the ravioli not too big (ie: the filling never being bigger than the thickness of your thumb) then what will happen is that you can actually put frozen pasta from the freezer into salted boiling water and instead of cooking it for one minute if it was fresh you cook it for two minutes. Thne you can drain it and put it into your sauce or into your flavoured butter and slowly toss it and heat it through for another little minute. The reason probably that your pasta is snapping and breaking is because maybe the pasta has stuck to each other. So you may want to flour it more efficiently on the top and bottom or you may also be putting too much pasta into the boiling water so it is all hitting each other, or maybe the pasta when you first made it was too dry. Try making a slightly wetter dough by adding a little less flour or a bit more water so that it is not fragile and snappy. As soon as you finish making your pasta you want to freeze it as soon as possible. I have done loads of experiments with this and it works fine but always remember that if the pasta has stuck together before it is frozen then it will stick together when it is put in hot water. Good luck, hope that was helpful and let me know how you get on.

Love Jamie O xxx

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 11 Apr 08 5:40pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

Thanks very much Jamie!  Cheers!

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 12 Apr 08 3:06am

chacha1103

Occupation High School kid
From Ottawa, Canada
Member since Tue 23 Oct 07

Personnally.... I make the dough and freeze it in a ball. If I decide to fill it then I thaw the frozen dough THEN fill it. I dont freeze stuffed pasta. Dont know why, I just do tongue

Cheers,
Chase

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 12 Apr 08 3:15am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

I have been freezing pasta for years so basically follow what Jaime said with freezing the pasta on a tray, then you can transfer the tortellini, gnocchi etc into a freezer bag so they take up less space..

If freezing fettucini, spaghetti etc, once made, allow it to dry for a few hours, then wrap in plastic wrap, place in a freezer bag and pop in the freezer.

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 12 Apr 08 5:27am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

I freeze ravoli on trays then once frozen put them in boxes or bags. When they are frozen they don't stick together, then cook from frozen.

For the gluten intolerant, the recipe for gluten free fresh pasta (using corn and potato flours) in Tobie Puttock's Daily Italian freezes as well as normal pasta.

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 12 Apr 08 10:36pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

It's a bit different in the handling and I've written a bit up in the gluten free thread (in recipe swap). Only thing to be careful of is to make sure no wheat flour or wheat products are present at the time and use a rolling pin to roll out not a pasta machine that you have used for wheat flour.

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 17 Apr 08 12:38pm

Hadleigh

Occupation family support practitioner
From suffolk
Member since Wed 17 Oct 07

Hi Ms pablo,
sorry for not posting the recipie before, but as you had the man himself reply I guess all is not lost lol
If your still interested this is my way (adapted from a great book called made in Italy, food and stories by Giorgio Locatelli.) Has a fab restaurant in London that I treat myself to a visit once a year.
Makes 600gr
500gr of '00' flour
3 large eggs plus two yokes.
salt to taste

Sift your flour and salt into a large bowl and then transfer to a large work surface.
Make a well in the middle and crack your eggs in.
Start to make little circular movements in the well, first splitting the yolks and then gradually bringing the flour in and mixing with the flour.
I have a bowl of cold water to wet my hands as this is a very dry dough.
Keeping working at the dough, usually for about five minutes until it all comes together and begin to knead with the heel of your hand, until a smooth dough is formed. Divide into two portions.
The dough will feel hard, but if left to rest covered in your fridge for about an hour it will be easier to handle.
To roll the pasta,
Roll your dough portion with a rolling pin until it will go through your machine at the widest setting.
I put through my dough about 3 times on each setting, and then fold it up and turn the pasta 90 degrees and put through the other way starting with the widest setting again, taking it down to the thinnest, and then repeat this again. I find this will strengthen the pasta and is less snappy.
All machines are different and trial and error will find the best way.

My daughter made some for the first time the other night and finished it off in her food tech lesson with a trapanese sauce. I was so proud of her,
it was fantastic.  thumbsup
We will make a Siciliano out of her yet.
It was a shame as most of her class mates did not like it (perhaps it didn't look like dolmio)

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 17 Apr 08 4:18pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

Thanks Hadleigh!  I'm interested to try the Locatelli recipe you shared because it sounds more classic than the dough I was using.  I also will try your rolling techniques.  I'm using a pasta attachment on the KitchenAid mixer.

Jamie may have perfectly nailed the problem I was having.  After considering what he said for a few days, it dawned on me that the temperature in my self-defrosting freezer fluctuates too much and might have caused the frozen ravioli to stick together.  I will do what he recommended and to combat the freezer problem, I'll wedge ice packs around the pasta so that it stays solidly frozen through the defrosting cycles.  I almost wish I could turn that feature off!  I use up what is in my freezer within a week or two.  I haven't had less delicate things show signs of defrosting, but ice cream is a problem.

Congratulations to your daughter!  That's wonderful! clap

Likes (0)