Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Fri 11 Apr 08 5:27pm

Wills

Occupation Research Nurse & part time dragon slayer
From Glasgow
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Re: Jamie's thoughts on getting the most out of a chicken

Hi Danny
I actually cooked the poached chicken recipe last Sunday and it was fantastic. You use every bit of the bird and the stock was amazing. I would definitley recomend it
Wills thumbsup

Likes (0)

#22 Fri 11 Apr 08 5:28pm

Wills

From Glasgow

Has anyone any decent curry recipies for chicken authentic and low fat if possible help
Wills

Likes (0)

#23 Fri 11 Apr 08 10:25pm

AskCy

Occupation Engineer
From Lancashire
Member since Tue 11 Mar 08

Wills I found this site years ago to be the best for authentic Indian cuisine - mamtaskitchen Use the search and put "chicken" it will find loads of recipes with chicken.

Steve

Likes (0)

#24 Sat 12 Apr 08 3:10am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Wills, my fave is butter chicken...

It doesnt have loads of fat in if you use low fat cream & yogurt.
You could saute the onion/garlic using spray oil.

Will post if you want it...

Likes (0)

#25 Sun 13 Apr 08 6:39am

Yves L

Occupation I wan't my own coffee shop with good food!
From Canada, Quebec, Montreal
Member since Fri 20 Jul 07

Beautiful BC wrote:

My husband and I always use the entire bird as well.  Sometimes I'm more excited about the soup and stock than eating the actual roast chicken!  yummy

Hello, from the eastern part of Canada!  thumbsup

It's great that we can use the whole bird and make all kinds of stuff with it.
The stock is great for sure and can last for more than one time when you are two people. 

But with the rest of the chicken, we can make lots of recipes. It's great.

Likes (0)

#26 Fri 18 Apr 08 4:04pm

Wills

From Glasgow

Thanks Steve went onto the mamtaskitchen site fantastic, I also got some decent recipies for my daughters 21st that I'm catering for clap

Likes (0)

#27 Sat 19 Apr 08 7:17pm

brunocarotenuto

Member since Thu 03 Apr 08

HI to everybody
my name's bruno, I'm an italian who lives in greece.  yummy

Likes (0)

#28 Wed 30 Apr 08 2:45am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Might be a good idea to transfer the discussion to this thread:-

http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=23

Likes (0)

#29 Thu 15 May 08 6:18am

ChristianK

Occupation construction
From states
Member since Tue 15 Jan 08

I have been messing around with a recipe lately that is fast for a good midweek supper and is hugely satisfying for a turbo fast chicken recipe
First use the best quality bird you can find
...It is made by butterflying a whole chicken...squab...cornish hen..or even a duck. and weighing it in a fry pan with a heavy brick...
I think it is originally from an old italian recipe called something like chicken almatone or something like that.
..It only takes about 25 minutes with a 3 lb. bird...you start skin side up...then after ten minutes or so on medium heat flip it skin side down... it gets really crispy and yummy... and leaves lots of bits in the pan for a good pan sauce...... i use a nonstick pan.....and  my weight is another pan made of heavy cast iron on top...the smaller the bird the quicker the cooking time...just season with salt ,pepper..rosemary.thyme...throw some whole garlic in the pan on the flip..to butterfly...cut the rib bones with a power saw...oops sorry.just.i'm a carpenter by trade..love my power tools...jk......ok this recipe was not that precise...sorry...
I remembered this recipe from a radio podcast of splendid table a while back (I listen while I work)...it may take a little time ,but I will get more info on the recipe with a little more investigation....it's worth trying .. delicious recipe...stay tuned

Last edited by ChristianK (Fri 16 May 08 11:27pm)

Likes (0)

#30 Sun 18 May 08 8:20pm

lindatrunzo

Occupation grocer / artist
From san francisco
Member since Sun 18 May 08

ive only eaten free range chickens for a very long time now. It was easier when
the hoffmans came to the farmers market. i would stand in line and get my alloted
2 chickens on the saturdays i could make it down there.  one would go in the freezer and one would be roasted then we would throw the carcess in the pot for soup. since
they left the market we have not eaten chicken hardly at all. The last one was from
Marin Farms it had its head and feet on. and kinda freaked me out my first memory
is of my italian mother (FOB) chopping the head off a chicken and it running around headless. so we threw the chicken in the pot and its head was bobbing and freaking
me out, but i thought this is how you must eat your meat by confronting it face on
and coming to terms with that.  are u suppose to chop the head off first? thats what
someone told me. anyway it was delicious. but i havent had much chicken since. Mostly because the price is so high and i wont eat the factory farmed one.

Likes (0)