forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 29 Apr 08 8:03pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Vegetable leftovers

To get the last out of my veggies I keep an empty 3 liter freezer bag in my freezer. All vegetable leftovers go in there:

the woody bits of kohlrabi, asparagus etc.
the stalks of cabbages, broccoli etc
the dark part of leeks, if very tough or not used in a recipe
the peels of veggies that don't need to be peeled, but often are for texture or looks: carrots, zucchini, asparagus etc.
the seedy, watery bits of tomatoes, zucchini etc if not used
any veggies that got forgotten or not used up (we are a small household with irregular schedules - so every now and then that happens), when they start to lose their crunch (or so that they don't).
the "end" of veggies that I could not safely hold when grating
you get the idea.
I chop them very coarsly and chuck them in that freezer bag.

When the freezer bag is full I cook vegetable stock:

I slowly fry a coarsly chopped onion (brown skins included, but washed) in a glug  of olive oil until just before it takes color. Than I add the vegetables from the freezer bag and cover with water. Bring that to a simmer and simmer for about 45 minutes.
Discard the vegetables.

I freeze the stock in half liter portions. I do not salt it until I want to use it, to adjust saltiness to what I want to do with it.

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 29 Apr 08 9:39pm

Marigold

Occupation Purchasing & Part Time Therapist
From Nr Colchester, Essex
Member since Sun 16 Mar 08

Re: Vegetable leftovers

Fab idea - thanks - from now on - I will also adopt this -cheers honey x

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 30 Apr 08 8:42am

tracwy

Occupation housewife
From melbourne australia
Member since Mon 28 Apr 08

great idea thanks

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 30 Apr 08 10:57am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

We are a family of 6 , but as 3 are now away at uni / working in London we do not have the quantity of veg peelings that we used to.

I do often make a stock using  the veg peelings and the odd bits of trimmings as Susanne mentions , but unlike Susanne, I do this as I cook the meal and then I freeze smallish portions of the stock.
I do not do this as frequently as I used to as I am trying to get some compost going in the garden at the moment and so most peelings go in there. But when we are all together and there is a larger quantity of veg peelings than I generally make a stock.
I never put cauliflower peelings or sprouts, broccoli in the stock as I find that it makes the stock a bit bitter.I do not use potato peelings either as I find that they do not enhance the flavour.

Last edited by mummza (Wed 30 Apr 08 10:58am)

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 30 Apr 08 1:43pm

Monna

Occupation High school, senior year Student
From Alexandria, Egypt
Member since Wed 16 Apr 08

thnx guys for those helpful tips  clap

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 30 Apr 08 3:43pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany

I do use cauliflower and broccoli (it never turned bitter), but also don't use potato peelings - don't want the starch in a stock, and they don't have much flavor.

Would make stocks as I go like Mummza in a larger household. My idea is only good in a small household where not so many peelings come in one meal - the three liter bag is easily full at once when I cook for a group of guests too. wink - thanks Mummza thumbsup

Depending on the season the stock will taste differently because of what goes in it: lots of cabbage stalks, leeks, and carrot peel in winter - in summer more tomatoes, zucchini etc.

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 30 Apr 08 5:48pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

All good stuff. SusanneH - you are a woman after my own heart smile

I make stocks from everything, whether veg or bones, and freeze the stocks in ice-cube trays to make them easier to use. The only things that go in the compost bin are starchy veg peelings, and bits that are too rough even to make stock from.

I work on the principle that nothing potentially edible leaves my kitchen, unless it goes for compost - can't stand waste of any kind. Means that the wheelie-bin men have it easy here - can only fill a bin every two or three weeks!

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 30 Apr 08 7:04pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany

I am not as successful at saving waste as I would like to. But I keep trying.

The ice tray idea is very nice! Now that you mention that: my Mom has done that with wine and with cream if either wasn't used up - just pop into a sauce when needed.

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 30 Apr 08 7:46pm

Eilen

Forum champ
From Oregon
Member since Fri 23 Sep 05

Also the stems from mushrooms, we use shiitakes a lot and I can't bear to throw the stems away, so I chuck them in the freezer and make a mushroom stock with those and some dried porcinis when I have enough.  It's just the two of us most of the time so I have to do as Susanne does and save scraps.  What doesn't get saved gets composted, we have a nifty little bucket with a charcoal filter to keep in the kitchen and it gets emptied once a week or so.

Also dogs generally love veggies so if you have leftover bits you can always cook them up for your canines.  You may not want to eat carrot peel but it's a real treat for your dog. smile

P.S. great topic Susanne

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 30 Apr 08 8:07pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany

Thanks, Eilen!

Likes (0)