Jamie Oliver

forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 08 Jul 08 10:17pm

Kirsten

Forum champ
Member since Thu 06 Jan 05

Aphids on my lovely basil - any tips?

For the first time ever, I've managed a cracking crop of lovely basil - a couple of varieties, in a decent sized plant pot in our sunny porch.  Today it is covered in aphids.  I've searched the net and got a couple of ideas, but wondered if anyone had a tried and trusted method?  Obviously I want to eat the basil so it has to be groovy and organic. My son adores pesto.

All this after the hours spent picking rosemary beetles off a once fine rosemary bush - and off next door's lavender!  I love growing my own stuff - touch wood, the veggies are all looking well - but am beginning to appreciate that really keen gardeners must face lots of battles with beasties!

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 08 Jul 08 10:48pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Re: Aphids on my lovely basil - any tips?

Excess nitrogen promotes leggy, soft growth that attracts aphids.  Cut back on fertilzing, grow plants that host predators like salvia's and lemon balm (Melissa officinalis) very near the basil.

Edit: rosemeary and lavender are also hosts of predators.

Last edited by MsPablo (Tue 08 Jul 08 10:54pm)

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 08 Jul 08 11:42pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Somehow the rosemary and lemon balm on my balcony never seem to have that positive effect on the plants next to them....
(and the lemon balm is not doing too well this year. Not sure why, as it's a weed)

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 09 Jul 08 12:04am

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Tip your washing up water over the basil plants (as long as the water isn't mucky...........or else just lukewarm water with a small squeeze of wash up liquid in it)...................because the liquid is poison to the little blighters (also being slippy, they can't hang on to the plant so well!). It will take several goes, but after a while it should make a difference

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 09 Jul 08 12:33am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

We use Ivory liquid, one drop in a small spray bottle for aphids.

Thanks so much Minerva, as always, the voice of reason and experience!

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 09 Jul 08 12:42am

Kirsten

Forum champ
Member since Thu 06 Jan 05

Thanks, will spray now and report back.

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 09 Jul 08 2:01pm

Mrs Gibba

Forum champ
Member since Thu 14 Apr 05

Small paintbrush/toothbrush to brush the leaves/stems?  Depends on the size of the problem.

I spent 30mins the other night picking catapillars off my cabbages!

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 18 Oct 10 11:05am

Morrigu

Member since Mon 18 Oct 10

Hi  There, I had aphids on a chilli plant and used some washing-up liquid and water in a small spray bottle to treat the plant. Apparently they breath through their skins so the soap clogs up the openings and they keel over..... problem was that I also managed to block up the underside of the leaves also and leaves dropped off, so watch the concentration of the soap!!

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 18 Oct 10 11:34am

RobinMcaf

Member since Fri 17 Sep 10

Kirsten wrote:

For the first time ever, I've managed a cracking crop of lovely basil - a couple of varieties, in a decent sized plant pot in our sunny porch.  Today it is covered in aphids.  I've searched the net and got a couple of ideas, but wondered if anyone had a tried and trusted method?  Obviously I want to eat the basil so it has to be groovy and organic. My son adores pesto.

All this after the hours spent picking rosemary beetles off a once fine rosemary bush - and off next door's lavender!  I love growing my own stuff - touch wood, the veggies are all looking well - but am beginning to appreciate that really keen gardeners must face lots of battles with beasties!

Thanks in advance for any tips.

I would go with Minerva's advice. Although I use an ecological washing up liquid like Ecover if I'm going to eat the leaves. Also a good idea to rinse off the soapy water after spraying the beasties.

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 18 Oct 10 4:05pm

AliceTwain

Member since Tue 11 May 10

Just stick a couple of garlic cloves in the pot. After a few days the aphids will start resenting the garlicky scent of the basil and will flee it. The garlic is not particularly preceivable when the basil is added in the food, though.

Likes (0)