#171 Sat 12 Jul 08 2:57pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Re: your favourite regional recipe, please

Note to Anna (& anyone else that is interested!):

The Rose/Violet jams we were talking about a few pages ago were brought to mind y/day when I was in Lakeland Ltd's store in Nottingham.........................they have started stocking Rose/Violet Jelly (made in France..............for a massive 6-odd!), which is expensive, but to buy a real treat to "try, before you make", might be a good idea if you aren't sure you will like it enough to go to the trouble of jam/jelly making.

I can't believe that something so easy to make & so traditionally "English" has to be imported, & at such expense!  shocked

Likes (0)

#172 Mon 14 Jul 08 1:37am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Here is the recipe from 'Culinaria Hungary' amended with tips my sister uses for making it at home.

Chicken Paprikas and Hungarian Dumplings

1 chicken
1 large onion
2 1/2 tbsp oil
1 heaping tbsp  ground paprika (sweet, Hungarian, not smoked)
Salt
2 Large Red Bell Peppers, seeded and diced
1 Large Tomato (you can use canned or boxed chopped tomato, use equivalent, you need a bit of the liquid if using the canned), peeled and seeded, chopped
1 2/3 cups sour cream (my sister uses 1 1/4 cup, says it's plenty and she sometimes uses creme frache)
1 - 2 tbsp flour

Cut up the chicken into pieces, leave skin on.  Salt the chicken.  Finely chop the onion.  Heat the oil, in a large Dutch oven that has a lid.  Add the chicken and brown it, remove the chicken to a plate.  Drain most of the excess fat, leaving a couple of tablespoons to cook the onions.  Add the onion and paprika, fry until onion is soft, add the chicken, bell peppers and tomato.  Immediately cover the pot and simmer until the chicken is tender, about 30 - 40 minutes.  Remove the chicken to a large serving bowl.  Using a stick blender, puree the rest of the cooked ingredients (you can do this in a heat-proof blender or food processor).  Reserve 1/4 cup of the sour cream or creme fraiche.  To the remaining one cup of sour cream, add the 1 -2 tbsp of flour and stir well.  Add the flour and sour cream mixture to the sauce over heat, stirring until it comes to the simmer and thickens slightly.  Pour the sauce over the chicken.  Swirl the reserved sour cream over the top.  To economize, you can reduce the sour cream to 8 ounces if that's the typical container size sold in your shops, it's plenty for the sauce and garnish.  The original recipe calls for 1 2/3 cup of sour cream, my sister said she has never needed the whole amount.  It's a generous amount even cutting it down a bit.

Hungarian Dumplings (noodles or spaetzle)

2 eggs
Pinch of Salt
About 3 1/2 Cups/400 g Flour
3/4 - 1 1/4 cups water
3 1/2 Tbsp. oil

Beat the eggs with the salt, and 3/4 cups water together.  Add enough flour to make a smooth, viscous dough.  Your flour may take more water.  My sister uses the larger quantity of water, King Arthur flour.  The dough should be very sticky, somewhere between dough and batter in consistency, don't be afraid to add more water if you feel you need it.  Beat well with a wooden spoon.  This is key because you want to develop some gluten so the final product has some 'tooth' and is not mushy and too soft.  Push the dough through a dumpling strainer into a pot containing a generous quantity of salted boiling water.  Pushing slowly creates larger noodles, faster creates smaller noodles.  They will puff up a little when cooked, so try make them just a little smaller than what you want as a final product.  The dumplings will cook in less than a minute.  Remove them with a slotted spoon when they rise to the surface and rinse briefly with lukewarm water, drain well and place in a bowl.  Drizzle with a few drops of oil, toss lightly - this will keep them from sticking together. You could refrigerate the noodles at this point if making them in advance. When you have cooked all the dough and you are ready to serve, heat butter in a skillet and sautee the noodles until hot.  You can opt to let them take on a little color or not, it's up to your personal preference, my sister prefers not to let them take on color.  Serve the hot, buttery noodles in a separate bowl along with the hot chicken paprikas.  Any leftovers can be gently reheated.

Last edited by MsPablo (Yesterday 9:11pm)

Last edited by MsPablo (Mon 14 Jul 08 3:27am)

Likes (0)

#173 Mon 14 Jul 08 10:09am

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

lol Very good! lol

Likes (0)

#174 Mon 14 Jul 08 11:00am

cookinlovebird

Forum champ
Occupation working
From West Midlands United Kingdom
Member since Wed 05 Dec 07

Here in the BlackCountry its Faggot n Peas I have gluten free faggots poached in gf gravy with loads of Leo mushy peas.. yummy  yummy

cookinlovebird smile

Likes (0)

#175 Tue 15 Jul 08 5:53am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

I have a similar recipe Mrs P, but I guess its the cheats version.. this I think is from the '70's or maybe a bit earlier... from back in the days of "chicken ala king" made with canned cream of chicken & corn soup.

My MIL has a similar recipe they call "beef strips" it has green capsicum instead of paprika, and beef steak cut in "stirfry" strips.

Chicken Paprika

500gm chicken fillets
1 onion
oil
1 tbls ground paprika (whatever one you like)
1 can condensed tomato soup
300ml catron sour cream
2 potatoes : peeled, diced & boiled until tender

Dice onion finely, fry in a little oil until well softened & light golden brown.
Add diced chicken, stir until sealed
Add soup, simmer 10 minutes
Add potatoes & sour cream. Simmer 10 minutes
Serve with rice or toast

You can see this coming from a "ladies home journal" type thing back in the days of aprons...  shocked  lol

Likes (0)

#176 Tue 15 Jul 08 2:59pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

Frizz, that takes me back to the 70's!  I never had any success with recipes that called for packets of dried onion soup or canned soups.

Last edited by MsPablo (Tue 15 Jul 08 3:09pm)

Likes (0)

#177 Wed 16 Jul 08 10:25pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

cookinlovebird wrote:

Here in the BlackCountry its Faggot n Peas I have gluten free faggots poached in gf gravy with loads of Leo mushy peas.. yummy  yummy

cookinlovebird smile

Oh my! shocked

Likes (0)

#178 Wed 16 Jul 08 10:36pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Heehee.  Sounds, err, yummy!

Minerva, thanks for the heads-up re the jellies.  I've bought both from Fortnum & Mason in the past, hence wanting to try making them myself as back here at my parents' place we've got tons of lavender sprouting all over the place.   smile

Likes (0)

#179 Wed 16 Jul 08 11:13pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

All this talk of eating 'Faggots' had me running to Wikipedia where I found this:

Pictures of the product are a popular joke in some Western countries due to additional meanings of the name. Faggots were used as the subject of an infamous 2004 radio advert by the UK supermarket chain Somerfield[1]. The commercial featured a husband challenging his wife's repetitive routine of a set meal for each day of the week. While he wanted lasagne, he was told that, as it was Friday, he was to have faggots. He responded: "I've nothing against faggots, I just don't fancy them." This advert was subsequently deemed to have breached the rules on Good Taste, Decency and Offence to Public Feeling of the Advertising and Sponsorship Code, and was banned from future re-broadcast by the industry regulator,

Last edited by MsPablo (Wed 16 Jul 08 11:36pm)

Likes (0)

#180 Wed 16 Jul 08 11:29pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

I know we should be above this, as educated and worldly folk, food names such as  spotted dick will never, ever stop being funny. 

whistle

Likes (0)