Jamie Oliver

forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#41 Thu 31 Jul 08 10:06am

jenlemmer

Occupation Writer
From Capetown
Member since Fri 01 Feb 08

Re: Vegetables and fruits that we have forgotten about....

hi Jamie
I have been cooking with seaweed ( sea vegetables) and we  have Nori
to make laverbread in the traditional celtic style, there are lots of recipes on internet for  nori fritters with oats.We dont have irish moss but something similar that produces carragheenan, for blancmange and puddings. its really delicious in ice-cream! can be used instead of eggs for egg-free cooking.  gelidium is abundant but the method of extracting it is complex.
Kelp that lies on the beaches here makes excellent Jam , sliced and boiled with ginger and apples or grapes to a good consistency. leftover, dry kelp
feeds the soil in the garden organically. its also a natural tenderizer, so kelp
pieces go into the pot w hile cooking beans.

Please let me know if you would like to see and use
any or all of my recipes for a future book! I have published a few copies but
as yet it seems like the market isnt big enough for a publisher, locally.  smile

Likes (0)

#42 Fri 01 Aug 08 7:49am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

I am a novice to veggie gardening, but Im interested in veg I cant buy as Im not very happy with the range I can get.

We only have major supermarkets to buy from & live in a  country area that is not very multicultural. I find it very hard to get decent asian veg & when I can get it, its really expensive.

Last week I saw Okra so I grabbed some and the cashier didnt know what it was, same tthing a few monthes ago whren I bought artichokes.  shocked

I am also intested in growing old varieties, so  Im going to join The Diggers Club.

Just yesterday I saw a seed packet with their logo on it for heirloom variety tomatoes. (Fothergills)

Will put up links as other Aussie forum members might be interested to join as well.

http://www.diggers.com.au/

http://www.diggers.com.au/HistoryOfDiggers.htm

Likes (0)

#43 Fri 01 Aug 08 11:46am

chrisandy

Member since Fri 01 Aug 08

Hi Jamie

Here in rural Spain, Cardoon's are a local vegetable that is used whenever it is in season. 

Our neighbours gave us some, and we have tried to use it the way the locals do -  string them,  as they are a very fiborous vegetable, they then boil them and place on top of other steamed vegetables and meat, or boil and then cover them in local olive oil (cold pressed olive oil which is wonderful).

Eaten raw is not good.

Have to say, they are tasteless, and  probably better covered in a sauce, as least then you have some flavour.

Sandy

Likes (0)

#44 Fri 01 Aug 08 2:14pm

huxter09

Occupation Semi-retired antique dealer/now farmer and cheese maker
From Northern Victoria,Australia
Member since Thu 12 Apr 07

Friz1974

there's heaps of online seed companies with plenty of great heirloom species  , Diggers being only one of them  .Have a look at

www.edenseeds.com.au
www.greenpatchseeds.com.au
www.newgipps.com.au
www.kingsseeds.com.au
www.4seasonsseeds.com.au
www.theitaliangardener.com.au
www.thelostseed.com.au
www.greenharvest.com.au

I've bought seed from all of them and the variety is amazing ! And you'll help food diversity and save a species maybe  .Save the seeds too and pass them on

Huxter yummy

Likes (0)

#45 Sat 02 Aug 08 3:51am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

Hi Jaime,
I know its a bit late but my dad used to grow cardoons and my mum used to steam it and then fry it off in a little butter and garlic, or make a cheese sauce and make it into a gratin. Though she just called that cheesey thistles.

Likes (0)

#46 Sat 02 Aug 08 10:36am

Janeyb

Occupation Garden Designer
Member since Mon 17 Mar 08

I believe they used to lightly boil the stalks of the cardoon - it's supposed to be quite bland... but I've never tried it... Meddlers used to be used in jelly (weird little fruits that look like a cat's bottom) The fruit of the Crateagus monogyna (hawthorn) can be eaten - that would have been eaten thousands of years ago - the young leaves of our native Hesperis matronalis (sweet rocket) can be eaten in salads - very strong though.... green gages you don't hear of much anymore.... sloes and loganberries.... I can't think of anymore at the mo but there must be loads of stuff that we don't eat anymore that we could... i did eat a conker once... that was surprisingly nice really - not sure if they are edible in large amounts though... smile

Likes (0)

#47 Sun 03 Aug 08 1:16pm

phiona

From Brisbane Australia
Member since Sat 11 Nov 06

The choko vine that hangs off the traditional Aussie paling fence is native to Central America, Mexico and the West Indies called chayote. Grows like crazy, very subtle flavour, best eaten when approx. 10cm (4 inches) or the larger ones chopped up added to stewing green apples and/or rhubarb. Absorbs the flavour of the other fruit. They are probably used in bought/pre-fab'd apple pies.

The fruit I want to eat and enjoy more of is the Cape Gooseberry. Fantastic beautiful taste. I can never have enough.

Likes (0)

#48 Sun 03 Aug 08 2:12pm

amberpamba

Forum champ
Occupation Registered nurse
From Australia
Member since Thu 24 Jun 04

I was thinking of the choko too phiona!! Last time I bought some home my fiance said "what the f is that!?" I love it boiled, steamed or best of all roasted. It is very plain, but I love it like that. I find it quite refreshing.

I also remember when I was very young we had a huge wild rasberry bush in the front yard. We thought nothing of it back then, but now when I think about it I would love one in our yard now. They were so delicious and sweet. Im sure they are a rarity now with the ever expanding building industry.

Another thing I love is the bush lemon. I dont know anyone that sells them and its a shame as they are just lovely. The 3 trees that were growing at my parents have now died which Im pretty mad about! I think they were just too old, or were lacking in attention. They were planted with the house which is almost 100 years old. We now have to stop on the way to pick them from trees on the side of the road in the neighbouring properties.

Likes (0)

#49 Tue 05 Aug 08 2:06am

JENNY G

From GREECE
Member since Tue 18 Oct 05

yes, that' s right my friend!!
in greek the cardoon is called "agkinara"!
and my grandma also has some very good recipes with that!
I' ll post them in a few days!
cheers! thumbsup

dukegus wrote:

Cardoon here in greece is called something like wild artichoke or something.

Other "forgotten" vegetables that I have tasted are the wild versions of parsley, celery, radish, fennel and that kind of stuff. I have tried a vegetable/herbal pie from my granny with these wild veg and they taste amazing and I could say much better.

But they are wild so I don't no if you can plant and cultivate them. I will ask my granny today and she would surely now some stuff that people don't eat anymore!

Likes (0)

#50 Tue 05 Aug 08 2:07am

JENNY G

From GREECE
Member since Tue 18 Oct 05

and for the history: The earliest description of the cardoon comes from the fourth century BCE Greek writer Theophrastus. The cardoon was popular in Greek and Roman cuisine. I read it in wikipedia!

Likes (0)