Jamie Oliver

forum: Chicken

Subscribe to forums RSS

#31 Thu 12 Jun 08 2:51pm

STU-78

Member since Thu 12 Jun 08

Re: Jamie's thoughts on getting the most out of a chicken

Hi All

Does anybody have any idea how long Chicken stock will keep in the fridge after making it? Ive ended up with loads from Sunday!! smile

Likes (0)

#32 Thu 12 Jun 08 3:12pm

Supasec

Occupation Legal Secretary
From London
Member since Tue 10 Jun 08

Hi Stu,

We freeze any excess in ice cube trays and they it's ready for use whenever you need it...   thumbsup

Likes (0)

#33 Thu 12 Jun 08 3:20pm

BiggusDoggus

Occupation Househusband
From UK
Member since Thu 05 Jun 08

STU-78 wrote:

Hi All

Does anybody have any idea how long Chicken stock will keep in the fridge after making it? Ive ended up with loads from Sunday!! smile

It will certainly keep in the fridge for a couple of days. if you plan to keep it longer, I'd suggest freezing it. I usually freeze mine in half litre portions (and I make upwards of 10 litres at a time), but I agree with Supasec, the ice-cube tray method is great for allowing you to use small amounts at a time.

Likes (0)

#34 Thu 12 Jun 08 3:25pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

You can keep chicken stock 3 - 4 days refrigerated.  It thaws easily if frozen, that's the best option for avoiding wasting it.

Likes (0)

#35 Wed 06 Aug 08 1:49am

winlea

Occupation pastry cook
From Willowbank QLD Australia
Member since Tue 05 Aug 08

Hi,
    Im a new member to this site just joined to tell jamie that we have an fowl that dresses out at round the 3kg mark at 18mth to 2 years old, these are table birds.  These fowls are just perfect to eat with great taste hardly any fat as we let our fowls out first thing in the morning and they run all day till dark.  You would love to use them Jamie for the taste and the size.  We have a family of 7 adults(big eaters) and there is always chicken left over for lunches.

Likes (0)

#36 Wed 27 Aug 08 12:26am

Tammi and Nehmo

Member since Tue 26 Aug 08

Hullo from New Zealand .... Im sooo glad you did this .... thankyou Jamie  clap

Likes (0)

#37 Sat 30 Aug 08 4:37am

sarah@cakes

Occupation Mum, wife, baker
From Kaiapoi, New Zealand
Member since Fri 29 Aug 08

Hi
Finally we were able to watch a TVNZ edited version of Fowl Dinners down here in NZ.  It was great watching - after living in the UK for a while it showed all that I had read and heard.
However I am wondering what others think about the human side of the food production line? 
I would be really interested in Jamie doing a similar programme but looking at sugar, coffee, cocoa and chocolate and the human impact...the fair trade issue...
I agree about looking after the welfare of animals and am totally behind any initiative to make the animals life more decent BUT I am just as concerned about the human value of lives involved in food processing.
Jamie used a can of tomatoes in one of his recipes - as I understand it some of the UK/European tomatoes that are grown and picked in Europe use people in horrific conditions...(Please refer to Felicity Lawrence 'Not on the label: what really goes into the food on your plate'.)
What do others think...???
Thanks for reading.
Sarah - (a baker with a fair trade bakery) yummy

Likes (0)

#38 Sat 30 Aug 08 11:27pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

There have been a few instances of people being forced to work in bad conditions for little pay. however, you should note that this is illegal in Europe, and if discovered is punished quite severely. There is much the same problem throughout the world, since greed is, sadly, a very human trait.

It's one of the reasons FairTrade was invented - in Europe.

Last edited by GeoffP (Sat 30 Aug 08 11:31pm)

Likes (0)

#39 Sun 26 Oct 08 1:54pm

johntaylor2

Occupation Runner
From Washington
Member since Mon 20 Oct 08

I recon this is the really tasty way to use up all of a chicken, if it is made with chicken on the bone it's tastier, since all the juice from the bones and around the bones makes the sauce extra meaty.

<a href='recipe-super-search.net/recipes/69355/Chicken-Makhani-(Indian-Butter-Chicken)'>Chicken Makhani</a>

Likes (0)