forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 16 Oct 07 4:18pm

AmericanEmu

Member since Tue 16 Oct 07

Wheat Flour Substitute

I am a devotee of Jamie's stuff from a long while back, but have recently discovered that I am wheat intolerant - results in things you really do not want to know about.  However, as a person who loves to cook for herself and her extended family who are lactose intolerant, I was wondering if there was:
1. a substitute for the wheat based flours that Jamie uses that are comparable to end result, eg. potato or buckwheat flours?  and
2. which is easier to use, rice or soy milk for things to cook?
Thanks for your help, I did read through the pages before posting so as not to offend.  If I have, please forgive the newbie.
And Jamie, if you can be of assistance with specific Australian brands that would be great too.
Ta
Thanks
AmericanEmu crossed

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 16 Oct 07 6:53pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Re: Wheat Flour Substitute

AmericanEmu, no idea myself, but don't worry - there are several users who are either lactose or gluten intolerant or have family members with these problems. There have been other requests touching on those problems and were readily answered, so don't worry!

There might be some info in this thread:
http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=25734

Good luck and welcome to the forums wave

Last edited by SusanneH (Tue 16 Oct 07 6:55pm)

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 17 Oct 07 10:36am

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Hi AmericanEmu

My husband and youngest daughter are coeliacs, and all my children are lactose intolerant, so I know very well where you're coming from!!  I'm UK based, so some of the ingredients we use may only be available here.

I use a general purpose gluten-free flour for cooking, which is a blend of soya, potato and rice flours.  If I've been unable to get any generic mix, I've used equal parts of the above with success.  Another flour that is great for puddings and pancakes is, of course, buckwheat, and for cookies/biscuits I find that rice flour gives a nice, light and crisp texture.    For things like pastry and cakes, a teaspoon of xanthum gum into the mix seems to work wonders for the texture as well.

As you are based in Australia, you could search out the Orgran brand (which is an Australian company).  To my mind, they make some of the best flours and substitutes on the market.  Another good Australian company is Laucke, who make some excellent (and edible  lol ) bread mixes.

As far as dairy products go, we use dairy-free margarine or olive or sunflower oil as a substitute for butter and, for milk, we either use a soya milk (generally unsweetened for our palates) or a variety of cow's milk that has been pre-treated with the lactase enzyme to remove the lactose (this was recommended by my daughters' paediatrician, as it's better for calcium absorption for young children than soya or rice milk).  I don't know whether you would get the same kind of thing in Australia.  As a cream substitute I use a soya-based product (AlproSoy), which seems to work fine, and there are many companies that make soya-based substitutes for cheese and cream cheese - I've even found a UK one to replace sour cream/creme fraiche with some success - but I don't know whether you would find that in Australia.

Most of Jamie's recipes work fine with these substitutes, even though they may need a little "tweaking" to make them work properly.

Hope that helps a little bit, and good luck.  Cooking wheat free is a challenge at times, but you'll find it fun in the end  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 20 Oct 07 1:30am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

aaarrrghhhhh...i had written a lovely, informative and at times witty reply last night and then the forum was down for maintenance when i clicked submit....now the whole thing is gone. We'll you'll just have to settle for this poor imitiation:

There is nothing that replaces gluten in cakes or breads. You will not get the same texture or the same results with any substitute. It will seem difficult at first but you will get over it. The below is my list of tips. I will point out that I am ultra sensitive to gluten. I am not coeliac (negative to all tests) but I'm not intolerant to any other food chemicals (see elimination diet thread on these forums). Coeliacs can often get away with things like dextrose, maltodextrin, etc that are derived from wheat but have undetectable levels of gluten (below 5 parts per million; although my belly can detect them, and will keep on detecting them for days). It's generally only the ultra sensitive that need to avoid all those forms of gluten. If you haven't been to a dietician then I suggest you go to one.

The white rabbit's tips on gluten free (sydney, australia centric):

Foods:
*avoid freedom foods gluten free wraps, they are truely the most awful thing I've attempted to eat. Same goes for their chocolate biscuits.
*freedom foods does do a non-wheat contaminated oats, I've not tried them yet as I also have issues with oats (bad, and I mean bad, gastric reflux - I was drinking mylanta like it was water; this may or may not be related to my gluten issues).
*lowan rice flakes are good boiled up like porridge. And if you have to do an elimination diet at any point they are good mixed with a can of heinz baby pureed pears (also good as an easy sauce for pork) and brown sugar. Very filling.
*Julian's gluten free pizza bases are good, MacroWholeFoods sells them. They are much better than pizzas you get from places that do gluten free bases with average toppings that cost a fortune.
*Basco brand muffin mixes are the better ones, but avoid the berry one, it tastes weird and it has little cubes of jelly instead of fruit. The double choc is nice and good if you are feeling lazy but need things to take for lunch. They freeze well.
*Sakata brand rice crackers are the only ones that are truely gluten free (my belly is a good analytical device for gluten presence). The crackers in the blue cardboard box are the best.
*Tamiri is a soy sauce that is not made with wheat - however this comes back to a sensitivity thing, I am sensitive to normal soy
*San Remo gluten free pasta is the best on the market, don't bother with anything else. I'm the only gluten intolerant person in my house and we all eat this pasta (saves doubling up on pots) - the only difference in taste you notice is if it has no sauce with it. They do lasagne sheets too.
*Eskel do some decent wafer biscuits and pretzels which are ok. They also do crackers but they have palm oil in them which is not the best for you but you are hardly likely to eat many.
*there are gluten free beers, but i've never tried any because i never liked beer in the first place
*Coles stocks frozen gluten free bread which is better than the stuff in the bread aisle because it was frozen after cooking. If you get the stuff in the bread aisle freeze it. It all tastes fairly average to awful. It's handy to have for those times in the first 6 months or so when you just need some "bread". The gluten free puddings also in that frozen section (blue box) are terrible. The apple pies of that brand aren't much better either.
*millet puffs - unless you have hippy leanings don't torture yourself with this or any other of those tasteless puffed grains that squeak between your teeth *shudder*

Baking (I haven't done much yet as I've been on an elimination diet and a lot of things were off limits)
*zanthum or guar gum - don't use too much as things go a bit rubbery - avoid recipes that use commerical gluten free flour plus these gums (most commercial gluten free flours already have some in it)
*white wings gluten free flours are good
*not strictly baking but you can make a white sauce using gluten free flour - just do it as normal. We sometimes make it with UHT skim milk as the texture is smoother and it's a bit cheaper
*cake recipes that use nut meals are your best bet
*massel stocks are gluten free or you can be very good and make your own but I don't tend to have time

Websites:
www.taste.com.au look in recipe selections or whatever and it has a gluten free section
use google/other search engine to find gluten free girl (it's a US blogger, with some gluten free recipes)
www.nigella.com - look in the recipes section for a chickpea cake, I've not tried it yet but it seems interesting

Books:
*Tobie Puttock's daily italian has the gluten free, lactose intolerance and IBS conversions or other information at the bottom of every recipes
*There is a cook book by darina allen which i have but have not tried anything from yet (elimination diet), but it looks good.
*Sue Shepard's books are boring; she is in tobie's book but his stuff is much more appealing
*I tend to avoid books that have mains recipes, as most mains recipes are gluten free anyway
*Nigella lawson's books often have gluten free recipes for desserts (that woman knows dessert) - just by their nature; and the books are a good read too

Restaurants:
*Restaurant sojourn in balmain (sydney) has dealt with my gluten issues on several occasions and been great http://www.restaurantsojourn.com.au/
*in general you just ask ahead of time, i find the higher end restaurants are better because they make their own stocks, etc - these places are generally much better value for money in terms of quality of food. Check out the good food guide for your city.

The main thing to remember is that you will get to eat lots more fruit and veg, good meat (if you have a good butcher), luxurious cakes, and you will feel better. You food will be fresher, you will lose all the commercially produced food and it will be cheaper and better. To me gluten was always just filler for more delicious ingredients and now I have an excellent excuse to eat great chocolate, have good cheese with no crackers (you can eat more that way  big_smile ), and have seriously nice cakes. It also forces you to eat less junk food. Overall, I consider myself quite lucky because gluten is the easiest food chemical to avoid. The desire for bread will pass, if it already hasn't for you.

One more thing, if you can handle the small amount of lactose, parmesan is great dipped into balsamic vinegar. Life is decadent when you have to remove gluten  big_smile

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 20 Oct 07 1:33am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

If you are in sydney there are some great places that do gluten free cakes; including a to-die-for chocolate moouse (spelling???) cake at a bakery on redleaf ave. My non-gluten free sister in law actually requested it for her birthday. Like I said, sometimes gluten free just means better.

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 20 Oct 07 1:34am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

One last thing, beware of rice flours from asian grocery stores. I have reacted to it in the past, I believe they are often milled in the same places/same machinery as wheat.

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 22 Oct 07 4:40am

frillylizard

Occupation head inmate
From Canada, eh?
Member since Sat 20 Oct 07

Have you heard about Teff flour...it is primarly used in food from the Sudan and Eratria...It is great for making flat breads especially and there are several cookie recipes for it. My neice is allergic to wheat/dairy/eggs/nuts/spices and much more...we are always playing around and trying new stuff. We use this flour a lot.

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 09 Aug 08 6:45pm

Bazzah

Occupation Software Company Director
From Glasgow, Scotland
Member since Sat 09 Aug 08

I'm wheat intolerant as opposed to full gluten intolerant so I find gram flour and rye flours work well for making bread. I'm only now venturing into home made pasta and thought I'd try substituting rice-flour for the durum. I'll let you know how I get on.
cheers crossed

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 05 Feb 09 5:21am

salad

From Australia
Member since Thu 05 Feb 09

Lifestyle Bakery is one of my favourite brands for gluten free/ wheat free baked goods! They make DEVINE pizza bases, breadcrumbs and the most excellent gluten free bread i've ever tried called Chia Loaf. Its really good for you too! The Lifestyle Bakery bread crumbs are great for when im cooking schnitzels and they are made with real gluten free bread and not rice flour like other GF crumbs. You can buy their products from Macro, David jones and I have seen it in a number of health food shops too. Their GF pizza bases are used by a number of pizza chains and in Adelaide I find that Goodlife Pizzas make THE BEST gf pizzas with them!

I have tried Dovedale breads and I wouldnt even refer to them as bread they are so horrible they are like cardboard!

Orgran products are really good convienience foods too! Love them for a quick snack before hitting the gym

as so far as flour goes, Soya flour and Corn flour are easy to use and I have found that Lupin is good too

Last edited by salad (Fri 06 Feb 09 12:52am)

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 17 Dec 09 1:02pm

YaDa Chef

Occupation Chef/Owner catering/personal chef company
From Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Member since Wed 04 Mar 09

hope someone can help.  We are trying to make a vegan/gluten free soy free sausage and are having challenges with the binding agent as most vegan "meats" use vital wheat gluten....thx for the help

Likes (0)