Jamie Oliver

forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 15 Sep 08 10:04pm

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

When did you start getting interested in cooking?

Jamie,  My love for cooking started in my mother's kitchen.  I started baking cookies when I was just about 7 years old.  I didn't have a recipe.  I would just remember what I saw my Mom put in the cookies she had made earlier in the week.  They always turned out very good.  (At least to me!! lol )  I kind of got out of cooking when I married a man who loved to cook himself.  He took over the kitchen.  I did continue to bake and still do.   At Thanksgiving and Christmas, my hubby, my daughter and I all end up in the kitchen having a blast.   All of us are cooking something different and having a wonderful time.  Great memories!  Thanks!  smile

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 15 Sep 08 10:23pm

Forum champ
Occupation Student , Hobby Chef
From Bavaria, South Germany
Member since Sat 30 Jun 07

Re: When did you start getting interested in cooking?

I've always been someone who was interested in cooking and bakery. My first experiences were baking Christmas biscuits with my mum. When I was 6 or 7 I was given a Cookbook for children. But I was somehow never allowed to cook properly until the age of 13 or 14. That was when I learned to know Jamie on TV. he inspired me and encouraged me so that I annoyed my parents till the let me cook a real meal. Since then I'm cooking as often as I can.

Thanks Jamie, your the one who made me cooking  clap  clap

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 16 Sep 08 12:55am

Member since Mon 15 Sep 08

I was always interested in cooking but was not allowed to cook much..apart from noodles or warming up preprepared dishes. Serious cooking started when I was unemployed for 6 month and offered to cook for the family (6 people) until I could start the new job.
First it was mostly "safe" dishes like spaghetti or roast potatoes..but I practiced and read cookbooks and got better.
I still love cooking, have taken cooking lessons too and try to prepare at least one complete meal  for my own family now. And I teach my children how to cook  big_smile

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 16 Sep 08 1:46am

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

My interest in cooking started when we lived in Sri Lanka, Obviously you could not buy certain western foods and as a teenager that was a bit of a culture shock.

I read lots of recipe books my mom brought over. I especially checked out the cookie and cake sections from The Joy and I think there was a great one bowl chocolate cake from The New York Times cookbook. I was forced to make this flourless hazelnut cake for my mom countless times  lol I wonder where that recipe went?

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 16 Sep 08 5:51am

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

My interest in cooking started when I was quite young as I had to help out in the kitchen because of my mother's  continued poor health.I tried very hard to help out and learn as much as I could. My dad had a big veggie garden so there were always fresh veggies to pick and prepare.

I became much more interested in cooking food and experimenting and entertaining when I left home and lived in a shared house with friends.

My OH was a great cook when I met him and together we have strolled down the culinary road trying out new things and reinventing old favourites, and passing this knowledge onto our children and grandchild.

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 16 Sep 08 7:21am

Occupation A blonde
From New Zealand
Member since Tue 02 Sep 08

I guess I am a late bloomer. Though I did the usual perfunctuary cooking for my family through the years, even for shearers at one stage, my absolute love for cooking started just a few years back after walking free. While I was finding myself, I found a joy for cooking to the extent of pulling a recipe apart and creating my own version, or simply creating something new. My adult children know there is always a home to come home to with good ole nourishing, homely food.
Because we are living on a low income I have learnt that good food can be produced low cost, yet quite a good variety, nothing like the fish pie produced from canned smoked salmon as I was brought up on.
One adult child now works in a cafe kitchen, the other a male is quite adept in the kitchen. Not bad tools for anyone to know.
Food need not be an issue, being diet conscious, and yes I guess at times I do carry a few excess pounds, mind you don't they say 'you can't trust a skinny baker'. lol

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 16 Sep 08 8:09am

Forum champ
Member since Wed 23 Jul 08

my mom was a great cook of the meat & potatoes school although a little too much influenced by the 1950's 'convenience foods', frozen veg being her downfall. Her favorite cookbook: "The I Hate to Cook Book" by Peg Bracken, featuring pot roast with dry onion soup packets etc. -- it was all really good though (except the frozen brussels sprouts puke ) -- but reading that book, which was written with a lot of humor, made me think cooking could be fun.
was encouraged to make breakfast for the family on weekends (suspect it was a way to keep me busy, being the first one awake on saturday) - eggs, French toast, crepes, pancakes etc. - age 10
watched Julia Child, Graham Kerr (for his humor), other early TV chefs.

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 16 Sep 08 9:06am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Standing on a chair at the kitchen bench as soon as I could stand on a chair. Then it progressed to rolling biscuits and flattening them with a fork. Even at 3 or 4 I had the perservence to roll and squash and sprinkle large batches of biscuits. It kind of progressed from there. I am a chemist (a real one, not a pharmacist) and cooking and chemistry go hand in hand.

Oddly, Mr Rabbit does more cooking than I do, even though he came to it later than me he has a certificate in commercial cookery (doesn't work as a cook though) .

Last edited by The White Rabbit (Tue 16 Sep 08 11:00am)

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 16 Sep 08 9:37am

Forum champ
Member since Fri 31 Aug 07

nzhippy wrote:

'you can't trust a skinny baker'. lol

I prefer the adage 'You can't trust a fat baker/chef'

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 16 Sep 08 12:57pm

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

I think I never really started to get interested - I simply was interested in cooking from baby on. As long as I can remember I was left to play with my mom's pots and pans and wrapped in dad's apron and I often sat next to the stove watching. That almost killed me as a three-year-old when my mom tipped over a pot of boiling water. I got burned badly (life threatening), but as soon as I was fine again, I was back spying and trying to help....
Then later (from when I was 12 I think) mom and I had the deal that the one who was home first would cook. (I started that when I came home early one day and was so hungry that I just started cooking, and when mom came home it was ready to be served).

Likes (0)