forum: Chicken

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Wed 01 Oct 08 5:03pm

nicolcaplin

Member since Wed 01 Oct 08

Re: Vegetarians

Hmmmm. I did the Peta pledge to go veg for 30 days. Did it, and my first meal after the 30 days was a huge paella with gorgeous prawns, succulent chicken and some chorizo. I missed meat too much, and I didn't feel right. After all, what are our canine teeth for  wink

Likes (0)

#12 Wed 08 Oct 08 6:50pm

craftyash

From Alberta, Canada
Member since Tue 16 Sep 08

My 2 bits...
Peta sucks... and I'm a vegetarian.  I hate their campaigns.  they use women's bodies to further their cause, which I think it equal to taking atleast 2 steps backwards in terms of "progress".

anyway, the production of meat does take a lot more resources than cereals, vegetables, etc.  I think with cows its something like 10 lbs of grains equals 1 lb of meat.  Right now, everyone is getting the connection with biofuel, but somehow not with meat.

I think its great that Jamie has exposed the dark world of factory farms. But also I think everyone who wants to eat meat should have a go at killing it themselves, and then see how they feel.  But at the very least people can purchase ethically raised meat.  If I could, I would raise chickens in my backyard myself, and then maybe I'd think about eating chicken (if I could kill it myself- not so sure about that one!)

but each to their own, I'm glad people are becoming aware of factory farming, and how disgusting that meat is for you.

Likes (0)

#13 Sun 19 Oct 08 12:21am

louisewomble

Member since Tue 07 Oct 08

Typical omnivore responses here!

ie: ignorant and defensive!!

I am veggie and have NEVER tried to convert anyone - so kindly don't ridicule us veggies! - It's our choice!!!!

But you can't change the fact that you can feed more veggies per acre than you can meateaters!

If you are going to eat meat - do it responsibly - care for the welfare of the animal and don't eat it without thinking or caring how it has arrived on your plate!

......climbs down off of soapbox!!!!!

Louise

Likes (0)

#14 Sun 19 Oct 08 1:00am

TheBeast2

Forum champ
Member since Fri 31 Aug 07

Your riposte is both a generalisation and, as a result, ironic.

Likes (0)

#15 Thu 23 Oct 08 11:17pm

louisewomble

Member since Tue 07 Oct 08

TheBeast2 wrote:

Your riposte is both a generalisation and, as a result, ironic.

.....exactly.......

Likes (0)

#16 Fri 24 Oct 08 9:38am

Golden Locks

Occupation student
From Slovakia
Member since Fri 10 Oct 08

Good morning everyone! smile

"To my mind, the life of a lamb is no less precious than that of human beign." Mahatma Gandhi

I am aslo vegetarian and I have not convinced anyone that a vegetarian diet is better or beneficial....From my point of view, a vegetarian diet is heplful for the environment it prevents the killing of animals and fights hunger thought efficient use of resources. Farming animals pollute water, grain and it leads to a terrible disaster. To make it clar, meat needs 441 gallons of water which is enormous wasteful but wheat needs just 14 gallons of water.

By being a vegeterian is an enormous benefit. It is wonderful feeling to be healthy and save the Earth.

Kristina

Likes (0)

#17 Fri 24 Oct 08 9:42am

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

Unless everything you eat is organically grown then it has probably been sprayed with chemicals, these chemicals also end up in water supplies and poison rivers and destroy eco-systems. whistle

Likes (0)

#18 Fri 24 Oct 08 9:50am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

If we are going on use of resources then there are insect protein choices that actually use less resources.. the insects have a higher conversion rate when eating the vegetation than regular livestock or humans  ..the protein from them is then easier and better metabolized by humans than vegetation..   I say we should be instectatarians..  thumbsup

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#19 Fri 24 Oct 08 10:19am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

louisewomble wrote:

But you can't change the fact that you can feed more veggies per acre than you can meateaters!

May be in one way, but don't forget that crops have growing cycles, they deteriorate quickly and so have a limited life.

A cow, for example , does eat plenty of vegetation but can be farmed all year round and provide food where and when nessersary.

and before you say anything  wink  I know that a cows emmisions will add methane to the ozone layer where as vegetation helps the ozone layer  big_smile

Likes (0)

#20 Wed 29 Oct 08 1:08pm

Plank

Member since Wed 29 Oct 08

Ummmm.....Beef Cattle actually do have "growing" cycles and optimum times for slaughter, dependent on the intended quality and usage of the meat.

The crops that are considered staple meat alternatives, such as beans and legumes (lentils, chickpeas, beans etc) can all be preserved either by drying or canning directly after harvest, so they are actually way less perishable and more accessible than meat products.

I think some people are mistaking their opinions for facts?

Last edited by Plank (Wed 29 Oct 08 1:12pm)

Likes (0)