Jamie Oliver

forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#2671 Thu 09 Oct 08 10:52pm

Joey1

Member since Thu 09 Oct 08

Re: Welcome to the forums!

Hi Denise,

I've just been through this and I didn't realise that gluten seems to be in everything even liqourice!!  A friend of mine has coeliacs disease and says there are very good websites where you can basically buy anything you want but in the gluten free version, even garlic bread!!

Good luck

Jo

Likes (0)

#2672 Fri 10 Oct 08 6:01pm

janem255

Member since Fri 10 Oct 08

Hi Jamie,
Just bought you "Ministry of Food" book, it's fantastic! I've been cooking from scratch for about 10 years, after i realised i was killing my kids with junk. I am now training others to do the same, and your book will help me in my quest. We dont have TV so i haven't seen the program but i did see the school dinner one and that was great.

Thanks for caring
Jane thumbsup

Likes (0)

#2673 Fri 10 Oct 08 8:06pm

cazzarose

hiya everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!have just joned today and can't wait to start cooking!! have bought the book and am now looking for the tee-shirt!! here's to cooking, help

Likes (0)

#2674 Fri 10 Oct 08 8:39pm

FLAMINGPASTRY

Occupation PLUMBER-PIPEFITTER
From BIRMINGHAM

SO MR OLIVER THE MISSUS CHRISTINE AND JOSH
RECKON YOU MAY HAVE A CHALLENGE ON YOUR HANDS
SO IM GONNA TAKE THEIR CHALLENGE AND TRULY MAKE THEM
EAT THIER WORDS
THE MINISTRY OF FOOD BOOK IS JUST THE SORT OF BOOK I,VE
BEEN LOOKING FOR  I SPENT EIGHT HOURS THE OTHER MONTH
LOOKING FOR A BOOK SUITABLE FOR A OK COOK THAT WANTS TO MOVE UP THE LADDER
AND CAME HOME EMPTY HANDED SO WAS DELIGHTED WHEN CHRIS AND JOSH RETURNED FROM THE SHOPS WITH MINISTRY OF FOOD
YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
SO AS QUEEN ONCE SANG
DONT STOP ME NOW IM HAVING A GOOD TIME 
TO YOU JAMIE  thumbsup
                                          BRIAN AND JOSH

Last edited by FLAMINGPASTRY (Fri 10 Oct 08 8:40pm)

Likes (0)

#2675 Fri 10 Oct 08 8:48pm

FLAMINGPASTRY

Occupation PLUMBER-PIPEFITTER
From BIRMINGHAM

ANY OF YOU COOKIES OUT THERE WILLING TO HELP ME INCLUDING YOU
JAMIE
WHAT I COULD DO WITH IS A GUIDE TO HOW MUCH FLOUR YOU NEED
TO MAKE PASTRY FOR
1 A EIGHT INCH FLAN DISH
2 A NINE   INCH FLAN DISH
3 A TEN     INCH FLAN DISH
4 A TWELVE INCH FLAN DISH
ALL THE BOOKS SEEM TO BE EIGHT OR SMALLER
I JUST WANT THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF FLOUR SO I DONT STRETCH THE PASTRY SO MUCH IT SHRINKS
WAITING ON YOUR REPLIES EAGERLY
                                FLAMING PASTRY help  whistle

Likes (0)

#2676 Fri 10 Oct 08 9:39pm

osb

Hello jamie, read in farmers guardian, about new programme Saving Jamie's Bacon.
Just to say thanks for your support , the british pig industry realy needs it and we appreciate it. smile  smile  smile

Likes (0)

#2677 Fri 10 Oct 08 10:23pm

geminigirl81

wink Hi Jamie,

I have been glued to you new programme -Ministry of Food and I think it is great what you are doing (pass it on) what I admire the most is that you put other people before yourself.
Travelling up and down the country must be difficult for anyone but you have a young family and I bet it can test you at times.
You are a very talented and inspirational chef and if anyone can do it then you can.
Keep up the good work. clap

Thanks Jamie
Look forward to next weeks programme. smile

Likes (0)

#2678 Fri 10 Oct 08 10:30pm

mumandson

Hi Jamie
This is the first time that i've logged in, loved the show the other night, so did my 10 year old son.  Can't wait to see the next show and were both looking forward to trying out those recipes.
Thanks for inspiring so many people to cook.
Beverley clap

Likes (0)

#2679 Fri 10 Oct 08 11:07pm

sandysausage

Hi Jamie & Everyone,

How can I help with the Ministry of Food? I'd like to offer to be a centre...

I started making sausages 7 years ago and then my husband (the romantic devil) built me a smokehouse for my birthday 4 years ago. I have become so excited about "real food" that I jumped for voluntary redundancy earlier this year and set up a shop retailing our produce. We are attached to a gift shop which has a number of staff  (of all ages, tastes and culinary abilities) and I am on a mission to get them to cook and eat real food and I am winning!!! My kitchen opens onto our tea room and our customers are encouraged to come in and see how we make our dishes! We even provide some of our recipes to visitors and customers to encourage them to recreate the dishes at home.

In the four weeks we have been open we are starting to attract some attention: We have a tea room which features home made produce and I am doing everything possible to source all my ingredients locally ( along with the bits that I don't have time to make). We have just linked to a small brand new provider locally who is producing free range animals and are working with them to help develop their business and their markets.

I have already planned "University Learn To Cook" Programmes satrting next July (at a very token cost to cover ingredients), to teach the basics of how to cook to Young People heading of to Uni for the first time.

Having spent 15 years in "corporate world" I am loving every minute of of my new life, even though every penny is ploughed back in to the vision! I have two little ones aged four and six, both of whom can crack eggs and make pancakes! Cooking with my kids is one of the greatest pleasures that I have. It has encouraged them to be adventurous, to try new flavours, textures and cooking for themselves (with help and guidance). (Before I am shot down in flames and criticised, I worked five days a week, was Chair of the village pre-school, ran a small business on the side, and spent weekends getting our local sailing club to serve good real food, so don't bother responding about having TIME to get involved in food!)

As a nation we seem to have become too used to convenient non-seasonal ingedients and lost the will to take seasonal local ingedients and use them create wonderful fresh foods. If this note achieves nothing more then PLEASE wander to your local allotments or fields (if you are lucky enough to live in the country), see what is growing, go buy some at your local market (or forage if it is wild harvest), and turn it into a fabulous meal! Rise to the challenge: the feeling of satisfaction at seeing empty plates and happy faces is irreplaceable! Cooking on a budget is not that difficult (Newly self employed, trust me, I am an expert!!) but as Jamie champions, share your successes, pass them onto to friends - food is one of the greatest pleasures we have in life. Explore different cultures in your neighbourhood, Swap recipes with friends who hail (or have roots) in different countries - it is a marvellous adventure open to all of us!

I will now relinquish the soapbox and hand it to the next respondent (who will probably shoot me down in flames but.....!).

Good luck, keep cooking, and most importantly take pleasure in what you do: Life is far too short!

Sandy
smile 
The Waddesdon Deli Company

Likes (0)

#2680 Fri 10 Oct 08 11:31pm

mandyshiv78

Occupation Stay at home mum
From Minnesota Mineapolis

Heya Jamie:) & everyone!
Just popping in to say hi & introduce myself. I'm in the US (Minnesota), but am an aussie who moved here to live with my guy. Look forward to gabbin with you all & swapping some recipes. Thankyou Jamie for being so down-to-earth & someone we can all relate too & not some stuck up celebrity chef- you are an inspiration to us all & a lovely person. Catch ya later guys (and gals)

Mandy xox

Likes (0)