forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 07 Nov 08 8:08pm

janesofos

Member since Fri 07 Nov 08

Roasted chestnuts?

Does anyone have the recipe for roasted chestnuts that Jamie and Gennaro did on the Christmas programme. Would be really grateful.......

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 07 Nov 08 8:38pm

AskCy

Occupation Engineer
From Lancashire
Member since Tue 11 Mar 08

Re: Roasted chestnuts?

didn't they just stick them over the fire ?

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 07 Nov 08 9:19pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

I cut mine horizontally and put into a skillet cover them and let them go for at least half an hour at very low heeat, shaking the skillet now and then or just making them go upside down to get roasted all around. I have a special pan with holes express for chestnuts but your kitchen will be covered with burnt stuff and I remember they were never well cooked.
I hope this helps you

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 07 Nov 08 9:45pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

If you have an open fire, the really traditional way is to get a good fire going, remove the Ash Pan and give it a good brushing out. pierce the skin of the chestnut with a fork, throw them into the as can and put it back under the fire, and wait for them to pop.

Snatch them from the ash pan, (burning your fingers of course) peel them and eat, with perhaps just a slight sprinkling of salt.

Thats the way we used to do it 50+ years ago, when there were coal fires in every home.

These days, I reckon the best way is to heat a large dutch oven or cast iron casserole in the oven on its highest heat. When scorching hot, throw in the pricked chestnuts and proceed as above.

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 07 Nov 08 9:58pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life

I often see already cooked chestnuts being put into a tea towel  and wrapped up for a while, I do not know if this is to let them cool a little or do damp them.

I have a closed by a glass caminetto and the ash is collected under the fire in a sort of casserole , do you mean that Geoff, and would you put the chestnuts there under the griglia? not at all in contact with the fire??

Last edited by madamada (Fri 07 Nov 08 9:59pm)

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 08 Nov 08 4:48am

Murkar

Occupation Hermit
From Newcastle, Ontario (Canada)
Member since Thu 22 May 08

I do mine in the oven...slice a cross in the top (makes them really easy to peel if you use a cross instead of just one cut I find), preheat to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, bake for 25 minutes on a cookie sheet. I usually wrap them in a damp towel to cool.

Last edited by Murkar (Sat 08 Nov 08 4:50am)

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 08 Nov 08 2:37pm

janesofos

Member since Fri 07 Nov 08

Thanks for all that! I remember they put some kind of brandy/spirit over them but can't remember what...

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 10 Nov 08 2:03pm

AskCy

Occupation Engineer
From Lancashire
Member since Tue 11 Mar 08

I through some in the oven last night to try them... crosses in the top... opened as they cooked... ...
can't say I was taken by them !. Was a bit like eating a lump of wall paper paste !...

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 13 Nov 08 3:03pm

westcoast_richo

Occupation University Student
From Perth, Western Australia
Member since Wed 12 Nov 08

hahah depends which chestnuts you get and on the variety, however some can be really sweet and delicious especially on a cold night. Coming from an Italian background we do have chestnuts every now and then and just cut them on top like an "X" mark horizontally and then vertically a few millimeters deep on the top so they don't explode in the oven. Just putting them in a roasting tray with the cuts on top at about a high 230 degrees will only take around 10 to 15 minutes. Then's the fun part of peeling them whilst juggling the heat :P Enjoy!

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 13 Nov 08 3:13pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life

I make only an horizontal cut side the flat surface, not to let them dry too much and put them in the skillet on the fornello for half an hour at minimo. I bought marroni, the big ones, last time I did them with two cuts they dried and did not cook inside, and they did not peel either

Last edited by madamada (Thu 13 Nov 08 3:14pm)

Likes (0)