forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Fri 14 Nov 08 1:23am

westcoast_richo

Occupation University Student
From Perth, Western Australia
Member since Wed 12 Nov 08

Re: Roasted chestnuts?

hmm well i guess it may depend on the variety for if they dry out too much as ours are generally fine but also for how they peel, some can be very easy.... others can be a real pain when you want to eat them! The bigger cuts is (hoping) generally to try make them a bit easier to peel smile

Likes (0)

#12 Fri 14 Nov 08 4:40am

Luvmegrub

Forum champ
Occupation Cleaner at The Salmon Arms
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Fri 22 Aug 08

I've been trying without success to introduce roast chestnuts to our Aussie mates on winter camping trips.  They just can't seem to acquire a taste for the dry, furry tasting things and they moaned about sore burnt fingers  roll   I won't give up though  crossed

Likes (0)

#13 Sun 16 Nov 08 4:22pm

westcoast_richo

Occupation University Student
From Perth, Western Australia
Member since Wed 12 Nov 08

hahahaha good on ya for trying. Dont give up! It'd be a great idea around a fire to cook them  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#14 Tue 02 Dec 08 9:08pm

DebDiMaggio

Forum champ
Occupation Newbie Mamma
From Italy-UK-Spain
Member since Mon 16 Jun 08

does anyone have any recepies for turning them into something nice?? marinate, preserve, stewed???? Want to make something of a nice/original starter for christmas!!!!!!!

Likes (0)

#15 Mon 15 Dec 08 4:50am

Duo

From Up your nose.
Member since Sat 26 Jul 08

Somewhat related, does anybody know where I might be able to procure one of those metal bed heating pans that Gennaro uses to roast the chestnuts? It definitely seems like a cool way to cook stuff over the fire.

Likes (0)

#16 Mon 15 Dec 08 4:53am

Beautiful BC

Forum champ
From British Columbia, Canada
Member since Wed 04 May 05

Duo wrote:

Somewhat related, does anybody know where I might be able to procure one of those metal bed heating pans that Gennaro uses to roast the chestnuts? It definitely seems like a cool way to cook stuff over the fire.

ebay or antique stores or flea markets I'd guess.

Likes (0)

#17 Mon 15 Dec 08 5:34am

Duo

From Up your nose.
Member since Sat 26 Jul 08

Beautiful BC wrote:

Duo wrote:

ebay or antique stores or flea markets I'd guess.

Yeah, I was afraid of that. I was just hoping that maybe somebody knew a reliable place to pick one up at. It'll probably be even harder to find them here in Canada.

Likes (0)

#18 Mon 15 Dec 08 6:04am

Beautiful BC

Forum champ
From British Columbia, Canada
Member since Wed 04 May 05

You never know......I don't think they're that uncommon to find.  Probably one of those exercises in patience we all love to hate  wink .

Likes (0)

#19 Wed 17 Dec 08 2:11pm

jillster

Member since Wed 17 Dec 08

janesofos wrote:

Does anyone have the recipe for roasted chestnuts that Jamie and Gennaro did on the Christmas programme. Would be really grateful.......

Ok Jane.....here is how they did it.  There were 2 ways - one was in a roasting container fashioned out of a Victorian bed warmer.  Place in coals of fire.

The other - and the one I think you want the recipe of was......

Put chestnuts in a saucepan or similar.  Add cold water, salt, wild or dried fennel and a good chunk of orange peel and boil the lot on a fire.  He didn't cut them or anything beforehand.  They just split.

Jamie also suggested putting the boiled chestnut in some mashed potato with bacon......

If you ever see a show that you need some info from, go to YouTube.com.  Type in the description i.e. Jamie Oliver Christmas Special and it comes up with the show in segments - fyi, the chestnut roasting segment is in segment #5.

I hope this helps you - have a wonderful season!! smile

Likes (0)

#20 Mon 17 Dec 12 4:59am

gaviota_uk

From London
Member since Sun 08 Aug 04

If you ever see a show that you need some info from, go to YouTube.com.  Type in the description i.e. Jamie Oliver Christmas Special and it comes up with the show in segments - fyi, the chestnut roasting segment is in segment #5.

Does anyone know the name of the Christmas Special it was featured in? I cannot seem to find it... Thanks to all! smile

Likes (0)