forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Sat 03 Jan 09 10:21am

RCP

Occupation Information Technology
From South Yorkshire
Member since Fri 02 Jan 09

Re: Page 165 Bolognese Sauce

Thanks for the idea's, I think if I try it without the water it will be fine, but I just wondered if I had done it wrong, I wonder why he has this receipe in the book if it does not work, anyway I have tried others and they are fine. The Lasagne (p169) and the Mini Shell Pasta with a creamy smoked bacon and pea sauce (p52) are both very good and easy meals that works sraight from the book without modification.

Likes (0)

#12 Sat 03 Jan 09 12:48pm

alfierules

I agree with RCP, this book is supposed to be for people who have never cooked before so the last thing you want is a recipie that doesn't work.  It could put someone off for life.

Likes (0)

#13 Sat 03 Jan 09 5:30pm

JoolsBro

Member since Sat 03 Jan 09

I found it a bit watery too so I just cooked it for a little longer and added some tomato puree to thicken it up a bit & it was absolutely delicious! I have made bolognese a million times before but have never put the mince in without browning or added parmesan at the end as with Jamies recipe.  I think just changing these two things made a real difference & would definately use this recipe again  yummy

Likes (0)

#14 Sun 04 Jan 09 2:47am

TheBeast2

Forum champ
Member since Fri 31 Aug 07

Well, you're not really using the recipe, because you had to change it.

Why would you not brown the mince? You're losing several hundred flavour compounds by not browning it!

Parmesan will boost the flavour of the tomato and the meat, though, since it shares many non volatile flavour compounds in the form of glutamates, which reacts with taste receptors able to detect 'umami', or savoury tastes, in food.

Likes (0)

#15 Sun 04 Jan 09 10:17am

JoolsBro

I didn't brown the mince because Jamie said not to in the recipe smile ! It seemed to make a difference to the texture of the meat but hey maybe it was my imagination, I enjoyed it anyway & I'll be doing it again!

Likes (0)

#16 Sun 04 Jan 09 11:47am

RCP

From South Yorkshire

JoolsBro wrote:

I didn't brown the mince because Jamie said not to in the recipe smile ! It seemed to make a difference to the texture of the meat but hey maybe it was my imagination, I enjoyed it anyway & I'll be doing it again!

Its not your imagination, my wife and I always used to brown the mince for bolognese and lasagne but Jamie's receipe's tell you not to and it does make a differance to the texture and flavour of the mince. We really enjoyed the lasagne and will be cooking the mince that way again, but not the bolognese as it was far too watery (it really was swimming in water).

Likes (0)

#17 Sun 04 Jan 09 12:53pm

JoolsBro

Glad it's not just me!! Try the bolognese again but with half the water & a bit of tom puree, it really was good!!  big_smile

Likes (0)

#18 Sun 04 Jan 09 12:55pm

RCP

From South Yorkshire

JoolsBro wrote:

Glad it's not just me!! Try the bolognese again but with half the water & a bit of tom puree, it really was good!!  big_smile

How much puree would you suggest? And I will give it a try.

Likes (0)

#19 Sun 04 Jan 09 1:07pm

JoolsBro

I would suggest use half the water & add a tablespoon of puree at a time let it cook for a few mins to thicken & add more if you need it.  Good luck!!  crossed

Likes (0)

#20 Sun 04 Jan 09 4:02pm

wkdlass

Member since Tue 30 Dec 08

when i have made a bolognaise in the past i put in the water last and keep topping up with water depending on how long i have it on the stove for to how much the sauce reduces.  If i end up with a lot of water it just means that my partner has to wait a little longer for his dinner than he normally would as i have to wait for the water to evaporate whilst on the heat. 

I find the key to a good bolornaise is a good none stick wok i can leave for periods of time without it sticking to the bottom and burning.  I make most of my sauces in woks instead of pans i just find it much easier to handle than a pan.

Likes (0)