forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 05 Jan 09 11:42pm

ClareBear80

From Sheffield, UK
Member since Mon 05 Jan 09

Using Jamie's recipes while following Weight Watchers

Hi

I'm thinking of joining Weight Watchers but I would like to still use the recipes in Jamie's books. Can anyone advise if they have been able to convert his recipes to points easily and if they are pretty low on points? I appreciate that small adaptions may be required.

Please don't reply if you are going to advise not to use weight watchers and that healthy eating on it's own is enough to loose weight. I appreciate what you are saying and although you are not wrong, sometimes the extra support and motivation helps which is something that works for me.

Thank you

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 06 Jan 09 1:15am

CraigJ

From Townsville, Australia
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

Re: Using Jamie's recipes while following Weight Watchers

Any of the recipes in Jamies books can be "tweaked" to have a little less fat and energy in them, however, some may not be as good or flat out not work, experimentation is the key.

Having said that, there is no great secret to weight watchers "off the shelf" food products, they are just smaller and cost more. I have compared them to other brands of similar products, and have noticed that they have the same fat content and energy (kj/calories) to most.

Which means it is all about portion control. I am not knocking weight watchers, for some they have a good method of reducing the portion sizes, and introducing increased activity to burn the energy.

I have tried several "diets" and recipe modifications, and have found that I prefer to eat good food, only less of it, and have taken to riding my bike and walking with the kids more often.

I don't mean to sound patronising, or to have all the answers, its just that its all about energy in vs energy out.

You need to find out your daily energy requirement and to reduce it by a small amount to see weight loss occur, and by that I mean that you can easily lose 5-10 kgs, over a year or so.

Do you consider yourself active? You need to find execise that suits you, jogging is not for everyone, but riding a bike or even walking for 40 minutes a day 3-4 times a week will lead to significant weight reduction, also you will become more energetic and feel a lot better.

Perhaps having a go at weight watchers is a good idea, as long as you can carry it on after.

Best of luck. I hope my post does not fall into the "Please don't reply" catgory you mentioned, just thought I would share what has worked for us.

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 06 Jan 09 3:33am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

I have used Jaime's recipes when I was on weight watchers. It is easy enough (but time consuming) to convert them.

To work out the points you need to figure out the points per weight/tb/cup etc of each ingredient to get the total points of the recipe.

Divide the recipe by the amount of serves eg 4 and then you will have the points value of each serve. If you wanted to go a bit further, you can weigh the completed recipe to get a final weight and then divide it by the amount of servings to be able to have a final weight.

To adapt some of Jaime's recipes further, I often cut down the amount of Olive oil or other fats used, although EVOO is very good for you.

I also found that most of Jaime's recipes were actually within the points range of weight watchers

I hope this helps.

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 06 Jan 09 4:02am

LindaJ

Member since Tue 06 Jan 09

If you belong to Weight Watchers online, you can use a tool to enter in a recipe and it will tell you the points per serving.

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 06 Jan 09 12:37pm

ClareBear80

From Sheffield, UK
Member since Mon 05 Jan 09

Thanks for your help guys.

CraigJ, I totally agree with what you are saying and if I had the willpower to go alone it would be great, not to mention cheaper......lol. My problem is a need a huge kick up the backside, I only have myself to blame. I can't join WW yet as I am just about to move house and then I am away for a weekend. However, maybe I will give it a bash on my own before joining and see how I do. I do love walking, my cousin and me try to get out at the weekends and where I am moving to there is plenty of walks, fields, woods etc. I've also got a Wii Fit which I do try to go on in week after work. Wish me luck and thanks  smile

Likes (0)