forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 07 Jan 09 9:39am

leftchef007

Occupation Apprentice chef
From Perth, Australia
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

Benny's 'Hotcity' Tomato Relish

I think i have personally perfected my spicy tomato relish recipe. This is about the 6th batch and i am happy enough to put it on here now. I had issues with getting the heat just right but I sourced some beautiful little Orange Habanero chillies this morning and its just what this recipe needed.

Its a long and slow process but its bloody worth it in the end, you have my guarantee.

INGREDIENTS.

3kg vine ripened organic tomatoes (seriously your wasting your time with anything other than vine ripened)
500g castor sugar
250ml white vinegar (malt vinegar also works well)
15g crushed fresh organic garlic
7g chopped fresh organic green ginger
30g freshly ground sea salt
A good pinch of cayenne pepper
3 Orange Habanero's (finely chopped)

In a spice bag place;
7g whole cloves
7g whole black peppercorns
15g whole pimento's (allspice)

METHOD.

Wash your tomatoes in a sink filled with cold water, remove top core bit and quater.

Roughly blend your tomatoes (NOT PUREE) in batches in your food processor. This saves ages doing it with a knife. Then place in a large, greased casserole pot or similar. The wider the pot the better it will be for evaporation.

Add all of your ingredients including your spice bag and set it onto a medium heat. If you have too high a heat it will burn onto the bottom of the pot and put black burnt bits all through the relish. This i found out on the first attempt.

Once it is up to heat and simmering away nicely (NOT BOILING) just let it do its thing. You will know its ready when virtually all of the liquid has evaporated and you have a nice jammy texture. This may take up to 4 hours. Stiring every half an hour or so.

Take your spice bag out, sterilise some jars in boiling water for 5 mins and spoon in the relish. You should get about a litres worth.

This should last for weeks if not longer in the fridge. A friend told me ages ago that he leaves out onions in his relishes as it keeps longer. Not sure why but i ran with it.

Thats it. You can use this in heaps of different ways but my favourite way is getting some toasted fresh ciabatta with a light layer of goats cheese on top smeared with the relish to finish it off. Its awesome.

NOTE - If you dont have a spice bag handy you can just throw it all in and either pick it out at the end or deal with it although i would advise against it. There is nothing worse than chomping into a whole clove. Yuk. Alternatively again you could just use powdered varieties.

Enjoy!
yummy  yummy  yummy
Cheers thumbsup

Last edited by leftchef007 (Wed 07 Jan 09 10:08am)

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 11 Jan 09 10:53am

Sensenable

Occupation Retired
From Harrogate
Member since Sun 11 Jan 09

Re: Benny's 'Hotcity' Tomato Relish

Hi
This sounds delicious but just a couple of points:
1. Organic tomatoes I agree are better tasting but why vine ripened? All tomatoes ripen on a vine, it is just when they are picked that matters
Is this term just a supermarket con?
As I understand it - people will pay more for them than normal tomatoes, because they're special, and since they don't cost much more to produce, supermarkets make more money out of them. There's no difference in quality.
Vine ripened signifies that the tomatoes had been left to ripen on the vine - ie, rather than being picked when their texture and flavour had reached that of damp
chipboard, they were, shock horror, actually allowed to sit there on the
plant for longer, to actually reach ripeness, before being picked. The
vine was left attatched purely as a symbol that this had been done.
However, at some point, the supermarkets twigged that if they picked the
tomatoes at their usual stage of unripeness, *but left the vine attatched*, people would still pay a premium for them.
2. Again whilst I do not fully disagree with your choice of tomatoes the fact that you are spicing them up will disguise the real taste of the tomatoes.
Look forward to trying this recipe.
Cheers whistle

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 12 Jan 09 6:45am

leftchef007

Occupation Apprentice chef
From Perth, Australia
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

Hi Sensenable. Thanks for the reply.

I find the store bought vine ripened tomatoes have without a doubt the best taste out of any of the readily available tomato varietys getting around grocers and supermarkets. This is my experience anyway. I do agree that quality would be the same but it all comes down to taste for me and that is where the difference lies.

But of course any type of tomato will do in this recipe.

Let me know how it turns out. I cant stop eating this last batch...i'm addicted.  yummy  yummy  yummy

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 22 Jan 09 9:13pm

Sensenable

Occupation Retired
From Harrogate
Member since Sun 11 Jan 09

leftchef007
You swine It's delicious, like you keep dabbling putting on weight

Likes (0)