forum: Chicken

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 16 Jan 09 5:37pm

janeymacd

Member since Fri 16 Jan 09

chicken and wine

Hi everybody  help
I'm cooking Chicken chow mein tomorrow (Saturday 17th Jan 2009) and I'm wondering what wine / beer to serve with it.
Does anybody have any suggestions?
Jane xx

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 16 Jan 09 8:00pm

john_lee

Occupation Teacher and Writer
From Wales and Italy
Member since Mon 10 Oct 05

Re: chicken and wine

Wine is quite hard to match to Chinese food. German Reislings are generally considered a good pairing with Chinese food, but I find them a bit sweet, so would go for a big, buttery chardonnay, or even a champagne! Hope this helps.

Just a little edit, after reading Emily's comment below. Why don't you try some Tsing Tao Chinese beer, which is available in larger supermarkets? I've been to China twice, and apart from a meal in a French restarant, all we drank was cold Tsing Tao, and from what I could tell, so did the Chinese (along with loads of green tea).

Last edited by john_lee (Sat 17 Jan 09 12:30am)

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 16 Jan 09 10:42pm

Mr Grumpy

Forum champ
Occupation Sh*t Finder
From Coventry
Member since Sat 22 Dec 07

Gewürztraminer is usually recommended for “spicy” foods, but my own feeling about Indian/Chinese/Thai food is that it’s better with beer as an accompaniment, with a really crisp Sauvignon Blanc afterwards.  Sancerre, NZ or some of the better Chilean examples should do the job.  JL's suggestion above of a Chardonnay may work with one of the old style rich, buttery smack in the gob Aussies like Penfolds Clare and Eden Valleys or Wyndham Estate

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 17 Jan 09 12:11am

emilyx78

Occupation office manager
From witney, oxfordshire, england
Member since Wed 24 Dec 08

I prefer a beer with asian food, but its all about personal taste, a medium sweet white would ok.

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 17 Jan 09 1:09am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

You might like to try something like a "Great Wall" "half dry" white with chicken - but thats a bit obscure - a dry reisling would be more accessible, and should complement the chicken nicely.

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 19 Jan 09 11:02am

janeymacd

Member since Fri 16 Jan 09

Hello all,
Thanks you all, John, Mr Grumpy, emily and Geoff for your suggestions. I decided to go for beer with dinner (I'm so classy!) but my sister brought along a bottle of Merlot. It was nice, but probably not the best with the Chow Mein!
I think the next time I make it, I'll have a look for the Tsing Tao beer, hope I can find it! I'll keep the other wines in mind though, I'm terrible at matching wine and food, so this will be good reference for me in the future. Thanks guys  clap

Jane xx

Likes (0)