Member since Tue 04 Nov 08

PIZZA PAN-HOW?

I JUST BOUGHT MYSELF A PIZZA PAN!
baking tray with holes

how do I use it? -says non sticky...

do I put it in another baking tray?
or onto the metal ### 
won;t the dough go into the holes?
pls advice me so I don;t totally fail my first time!

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 20 Jan 09 6:08pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Re: PIZZA PAN-HOW?

Get the oven hot, sprinkle cornmeal on your pizza pan and put the pizza right onto it, bake it right away, it shouldn't stick.

edit, if it is a teflon surface, be sure to use the temperature range noted on the packaging so you don't damage it.  A good metal perforated pizza pan doesn't really need a non-stick surface, the dough will come right off of it when cooked.  We have a regular metal perforated pizza pan, works fine, but I do prefer a pizza stone.

Last edited by MsPablo (Tue 20 Jan 09 6:11pm)

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 20 Jan 09 6:22pm

Chrissa SKG

Forum champ
Occupation travel agent
From Thessaloniki, GREECE

yes I wanted the pizza stone but still cannot find it and don;t want to put off my making my own pizza anymore...

pizza pan with holes is non sticky -says...

cornmeal is same for cornflour?

thanks mrs pablo

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 20 Jan 09 6:24pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

cornmeal is ground corn, cornflour is a fine cornstarch, very different.  you can substitute polenta if you can't find regular cornmeal.

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 22 Jan 09 4:48am

runwestierun

Forum champ
Occupation Volunteer
From Oregon Coast USA
Member since Sat 22 Nov 08

I spray mine with cooking oil first (Pam) and then dust with a medium grind corn meal.  I find that the cornmeal sticks to the pizza pan and less falls through the holes onto the floor on the way to the grill.  Do you have a gas grill?

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 22 Jan 09 9:26am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

A pizza pan with holes in doesn't usually stick.

There is no way the pizza can fall through the holes! The pan must be used without anything under it - the whole point of the holes is to help the pizza crust to remain dry - as in "thin and crispy"

Just turn the oven up as high as it will go, pre-heat the pizza pan, put the prepared pizza on the pre-heated pan, it will be ready in just a few minutes.

runwestierun - are we talking about the same thing? - a non-stick pizza pan with holes in the bottom is for use in the oven - its a substitute for a pizza stone. I can't see where a grill fits in to the equation?

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 22 Jan 09 9:42am

Chrissa SKG

Forum champ
Occupation travel agent
From Thessaloniki, GREECE

GeoffP wrote:

A pizza pan with holes in doesn't usually stick.

There is no way the pizza can fall through the holes! The pan must be used without anything under it - the whole point of the holes is to help the pizza crust to remain dry - as in "thin and crispy"

Just turn the oven up as high as it will go, pre-heat the pizza pan, put the prepared pizza on the pre-heated pan, it will be ready in just a few minutes.

yes Thank You Thank You that was what I hoped for when I bought the pan!(cause I could not find a pizza stone) I am so happy can't wait for weekend to try my first pizza!

Last edited by Chrissa SKG (Thu 22 Jan 09 9:44am)

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 22 Jan 09 10:01am

runwestierun

Forum champ
Occupation Volunteer
From Oregon Coast USA
Member since Sat 22 Nov 08

GeoffP,
The best pizza I make is on the gas grill.  Electric ovens, even with a stone, can't get as hot as a commercial pizza oven but the grill can.  Now I feel stupid because I missed the part about the pan being nonstick, because certainly the teflon surface wouldn't survive a grill. 

I spray the aluminum pizza pan with holes with nonstick spray, dust it with cornmeal and assemble the pizza.  I place the metal pizza pan with holes in it on a wok ring on the grill that is preheated with all burners on high.  It takes 4 minutes, the pizza is fantastic.  You have to get the pizza off the pan immediately and onto a board or peel because the pan is so hot it keeps on cooking.  One of my pizza pans has smaller holes.  When I use that one it takes 7 minutes.

Placing the pan on a wok ring (or tin can with both ends removed) is essential.  If you put the pizza pan directly on the grill the pizza will burn before it's done.

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 22 Jan 09 10:09am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

Runwestie, that's a nice trick, also how very neat of you to find a method for keeping the cornmeal from spilling by putting spraying the pan with oil.

I would exchange the pan if it is teflon coated and get a regular metal perforated pizza pan.  The metal perforated pan is handy to have even if you later buy a stone as a good back up if your stone or ceramic pizza pan cracks.

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 22 Jan 09 7:59pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

If you can't find a pizza stone, use unglazed terra cotta tiles in the oven, they work just fine.
Eddie

Likes (0)