forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Thu 18 Dec 08 1:48pm

FlameRed

Forum champ
Occupation Finally, gloriously & happily re-married to my old flame....
From Melbourne, Oz
Member since Thu 21 Sep 06

Re: How do you store your spices?

Now that's one thing I've never done - is put a prawn on the barbie!!  Chicken, steak, snags - but never prawns...   hmm

All my spices are in glass jars, sorry

Likes (0)

#12 Thu 18 Dec 08 3:22pm

Lord_Thunda

Occupation Retired
From New England Highlands, NSW, OZ
Member since Sun 26 Oct 08

If you need any Oz recipes using "bush tucker" try googling any of the following ....
Apologies for not putting links but due to my lack of time signed up ....

Piper Creek Grove

Bush Tucker Shop

Lemon Myrtle

Aboriginal Foods

Bush Tucker

The native plants that grow wild here have long been used for food & medicine by aborigines & only now, white man has found long forgotten spices.

Likes (0)

#13 Sat 20 Dec 08 4:18pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

For those spices I like to keep very dry & dark, I save any golden syrup/black treacle tins that have the lever off type tin lids. I wash them in very hot water, drain well & then dry them upside down in the oven (when I've cooked pastry or something very hot), which gets any residue out & dries them completely. I find this sort of tin extends the shelf-life by a fair bit!

Likes (0)

#14 Sun 01 Feb 09 9:46am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

At the outdoor market in Sarlat, France, I found a spice holder made from a wood base with holes drilled in it that holds seven test tubes with corks.  The tubes came filled with various local dried herbs and herb mixtures.  I find it easy to access and use and I can refill it.

I also have larger clear stacking spice canisters (made in France) that I purchased in Tokyo.  That one holds dried red chilis, dried garlic slices, black peppercorns, Italian marjoram, red sea salt, chose those colors so it would looke nice.  The rest of my spice and dried herb collection is crammed into a crowded cabinet, I need a tiered rack to organize them.

Likes (0)

#15 Sun 01 Feb 09 10:13am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

bump!
Madamada:
I answered the question you had on my blog, post 14 on this page. smile

Likes (0)

#16 Sun 01 Feb 09 12:05pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

Please MsP could you take a pic of your french and japanese kitchen super furniture ?

At the outdoor market in Sarlat, France, I found a spice holder made from a wood base with holes drilled in it that holds seven test tubes with corks.  The tubes came filled with various local dried herbs and herb mixtures.  I find it easy to access and use and I can refill it.

I also have larger clear stacking spice canisters (made in France) that I purchased in Tokyo

I can see you going around the world choosing "cose di buon gusto" for us all wink  big_smile

Likes (0)

#17 Sun 01 Feb 09 12:40pm

mrpab

Forum champ
Member since Wed 23 Jul 08

Hi mads! Here are the stacking acrylic jars:

http://www.thestoragestore.com/stacacspicja.html

MsP is looking for a picture of the test tubes!

Likes (0)

#18 Sun 01 Feb 09 12:56pm

AL

From Selby
Member since Sat 19 Mar 05

Like GeoffP, My Husband also built me a spice rack on back of a door, and I found some small brown glass jars in Leeds, but this was a lot of years ago.

Likes (0)

#19 Sun 01 Feb 09 1:05pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

efficientissimi Pablos thumbsup  clap

Likes (0)

#20 Sun 01 Feb 09 1:50pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

Aside from modern test tube spice racks made of metal wire or plastic, one can find antique wood test tube holders, mine is a modern wood version, slightly different, but I can't find anything online that looks exactly like mine and I'm in Copenhagen.  Mine has one solid wood base that flares out at the bottom for stability.  I don't know that it's the best option, but it holds a nice memory for me of having a wonderful time in that most amazing town of Sarlat.

Likes (0)