forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 02 Feb 09 3:07pm

rasher

Occupation Structural Engineer & father of 3
From Brighton
Member since Mon 07 Mar 05

Milk is really weird, isn't it

Personally I can't stand milk.  The very idea of using it in it's basic form as a drink, in coffee & tea, and on cereal is just so strange.
Drinking breast milk as an adult is weird enough, but drinking breast milk as an adult from another species is just, well...pervy. 
I also believe that the calcium thing is overstated too as we get enough of it from a proper diet anyway.  Am I alone in thinking like this?

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 02 Feb 09 3:18pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Re: Milk is really weird, isn't it

You must have a huge aversion to eggs, then.
Eddie

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 02 Feb 09 3:19pm

john_lee

Occupation Teacher and Writer
From Wales and Italy
Member since Mon 10 Oct 05

Well, I'm not sure that we'd get enough calcium naturally in the West without dairy. An ex was lactose intollerent, and she had to take calcium supplements. In parts of Asia, where dairy is not really part of the culture, they actually eat the bones and shells of pountry and seafood to get their calcium intake up. I'd rather have some cheese! Mmmm, cheese! And I refuse to put soya milk in my tea or on my cereal!!

Last edited by john_lee (Mon 02 Feb 09 3:32pm)

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 02 Feb 09 3:31pm

dukegus

Forum champ
Occupation Unemployed,
From Greece
Member since Fri 21 Mar 08

You must have had something like an accident(psychological) that made you dislike milk, the first food a mammal tastes.

Milk, yogurt, cheese(from most mammals) with or without live probiotics is on of the best things, tastewise and nutritionwise, to eat.

I hate picky eaters  tongue

Kostas

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 02 Feb 09 3:37pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

There are many non-dairy sources of calcium, Google and you'll find loads of charts.

True John.  My friend in Japan always brings us cookies that are made with crushed fish bones, you'd never know, they taste just like buttery French Elephant's Ears.

None of the children in our family would drink milk, although we liked other forms of dairy.  We ate sardines whole, including bones,  my father would crush up the small salmon bones into the salmon cakes so we'd get more calcium.

Last edited by MsPablo (Mon 02 Feb 09 3:38pm)

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 02 Feb 09 3:50pm

cupcake

Forum champ
From Cambodia, eh?
Member since Tue 09 Nov 04

rasher wrote:

Drinking breast milk as an adult is weird enough, but drinking breast milk as an adult from another species is just, well...pervy.

I don't think it's "pervy", so much as an anomaly. We're the only species who continues to drink milk past infancy, and the only one that drinks the milk of another animal, with some believing it to be essential to our survival. Personally, I've never liked the stuff straight up, but use it in baking and when added to tea. I'm all over yogourt though - gallons of it, it seems, and some cheese. I've never worried about the scare tactics (of the Milk Marketing Board) that tell me I've got to drink the stuff, and how often I have to do it. Fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts and seeds contain plenty of calcium.

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 02 Feb 09 4:12pm

DebDiMaggio

Forum champ
Occupation Newbie Mamma
From Italy-UK-Spain
Member since Mon 16 Jun 08

I worked for a Chiropractor for some time, and there is scientific proof that milk actually produces a type of calcium that solidifies the bones and causes problems like arthritis, it is actually NOT the best source of calcium and this is recognised in many cultures. The western  world is a bit obsessed by it and medically quite behind in that respect.
There is as much calcium in soya or citrus fruits as there is in milk. I drink milk in coffee and tea, but must admit that I find it sickly and am generally not good with digesting it.
I have met parents of kids who have never given them milk products and swear that they are healthier and have more defences than other kids at school. Milk produces more phlem when you have a cold or flue and with kids it makes them have snotty runny noses all the time. I bet if we experimented and stopped giving them milk and replaced it for multi fruit juices they would have less colds and bronkitis, as this stores phlem in the chest.

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 02 Feb 09 4:18pm

DebDiMaggio

Forum champ
Occupation Newbie Mamma
From Italy-UK-Spain

dukegus wrote:

You must have had something like an accident(psychological) that made you dislike milk, the first food a mammal tastes.

Milk, yogurt, cheese(from most mammals) with or without live probiotics is on of the best things, tastewise and nutritionwise, to eat.

I hate picky eaters  tongue

Kostas

lighten up man!!
After all the first food a mammal eats is the milk from it's OWN species, no other mammals other than humans go on to need calcium from other mammals!!
There's no need to phycho analize people, in most cases the dislike for lactose is a sign of intolerance any way!!
How many mammals milk have you tasted???

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 02 Feb 09 4:50pm

john_lee

Occupation Teacher and Writer
From Wales and Italy
Member since Mon 10 Oct 05

I don't mean to be offensive, but I feel a bit sorry for the kids who miss out on cheese, butter, chocolate, yoghurt, milkshakes, cereal with milk, ice cream, sundaes, custard, etc. etc. Here, Junior, enjoy a lovely rice cake! Hmmm. What's life all about, after all?

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 02 Feb 09 5:07pm

DebDiMaggio

Forum champ
Occupation Newbie Mamma
From Italy-UK-Spain

I know, I have a nephew alergic to gluten and it's really tough because he can't eat cakes or cookies. But it is a cultural issue, one thing is eating dary products out of choice another is thinking that we wouldn't have calcium if we didn't, which isn't true!

Likes (0)