Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Tue 03 Feb 09 1:18am

Luvmegrub

Forum champ
Occupation Cleaner at The Salmon Arms
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Fri 22 Aug 08

Re: Milk is really weird, isn't it

I can't drink milk by itself and I'm certain this stems from being forced to drink those little bottles of milk in infants school (England, early '70's).  I remember trying to sneak over to the sink in the classroom and pour mine out because it was always lukewarm, must have been delivered by the milkman a few hours earlier and not refrigerated puke

I don't think that milk's weird though and I use it all the time in tea or for baking and cooking.

Likes (0)

#12 Tue 03 Feb 09 7:27am

FlameRed

Forum champ
Occupation Finally, gloriously & happily re-married to my old flame....
From Melbourne, Oz
Member since Thu 21 Sep 06

I could drink milk without a problem until I had my appendix out at 15.  Since then drinking milk makes me feel sick.  Doctor at the time wanted me to drink milkshakes after the op and as I felt sick,  puke  he had me add malt to the drinks and somehow this made it ok.

Anyhoo, since then I only drink milk in coffee, tea and mashed spud etc.  Occasionally I crave a glass of the stuff but I can control myself.

Milk's milk, if you can cope with it, fine - if you can't, that's fine too.... personally I prefer cheese...  yummy

Likes (0)

#13 Tue 03 Feb 09 9:54am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

I love milk. Used to drink about a litre a day when i was a teenager.

Fortunately most kids grow out of lactose intolerances.

Deb, there are loads of gluten free cake and biscuit recipes, check out the gluten free thread in recipe swap.

Likes (0)

#14 Tue 03 Feb 09 10:03am

cookinlovebird

Forum champ
Occupation working
From West Midlands United Kingdom
Member since Wed 05 Dec 07

If you cannot take milk but want to use something in your drinks try Taam-Tov  Instant Creamer

cookinlovebird smile

Likes (0)

#15 Tue 03 Feb 09 10:20am

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

Luvmegrub wrote:

I can't drink milk by itself and I'm certain this stems from being forced to drink those little bottles of milk in infants school (England, early '70's).  I remember trying to sneak over to the sink in the classroom and pour mine out because it was always lukewarm, must have been delivered by the milkman a few hours earlier and not refrigerated puke

I don't think that milk's weird though and I use it all the time in tea or for baking and cooking.

Eww LMG I remember those days, our milk was left out in the sun and had usually turned before we got to it. I used to sneak into the nun's garden next to the milkshed and give mine to the cat lol

I don't like milk on it's own and the smell of warmed milk on its own makes me puke

Likes (0)

#16 Tue 03 Feb 09 10:24am

FlameRed

Forum champ
Occupation Finally, gloriously & happily re-married to my old flame....
From Melbourne, Oz
Member since Thu 21 Sep 06

Oooohh, I remember that horrible milk in the tetra packs and luke warmish every morning, yuck - it was enough to put youngsters off milk for life!!!   puke

Likes (0)

#17 Tue 03 Feb 09 10:38am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

I used to have the job of finishing off the milk before we went on holiday, it would be often close to 2L. I love it plain, it has a lovely taste. I can detect it going off before anyone else, it gets a creamy taste. Needless to say i've never had any fractures and my teeth are excellent.

Likes (0)

#18 Tue 03 Feb 09 10:41am

DebDiMaggio

Forum champ
Occupation Newbie Mamma
From Italy-UK-Spain
Member since Mon 16 Jun 08

cheese and yogurt are better options, milk had to be freezing cold for me to even try it, but then my stomac will start churning anyway! puke

Likes (0)

#19 Tue 03 Feb 09 10:46am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

I prefer the flavour of milk when it's warmer, it's has a very interesting taste and it's nice closer to room temperature where you can taste that. But not everyone is like me. Gluten intolerance suits me fine, lactose intolerance would have been a disaster.

Likes (0)

#20 Tue 03 Feb 09 10:50am

AL

From Selby
Member since Sat 19 Mar 05

Luvmegrub wrote:

I don't rememder it been luke warm, but I do rememder it been frozen, we still had to drink it this was the 60's

Likes (0)