forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 04 Feb 09 2:28pm

sandslane

Member since Wed 04 Feb 09

hi there im hoping to join you all and pass it on

hi im new to these forums usually too busy running a two acre nursery growing food, we are passionate about providing our local people with good quality whoesome produce . four years ago we grew cucumbers for Tesco( I know its a swear word in our house too)but found their increasing demands for cheeper produce of particular shapes and sizes and a huge quantity of good food going to waste nopt to mention them telling us how to grow it spraying routinely etc we decided to get out and diversify after a hard four years we now grow solely for the public picked freshly and sold direct through farmers markets, our own farm shop or as pick your own where we let our public come and harvest their own produce. all going great . i am totally behind what Jamie does and stands for and am full of admiration for both Jamie and Hughin their quests to get good wholesome food into the british people and especially children. to this end as we are opening a cafe on site this year at easter we intend to use as much of our own produce to provide good healthy food . We grow Vegetables, salads, and lots of different soft fruits we have our own hens for fresh  real free range eggs.one of the plans i have is to offer cookery demonstrations on an evening when working mums would have more time to attend also to encourage local schools to come and let the kids see how food goes have taster sessions and maybe even teach the kids some simple stuff about how to cook the things we grow. i am therefore looking for any help and advice healthy easy recipes etc,  thanks Sue x

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 04 Feb 09 2:34pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

Re: hi there im hoping to join you all and pass it on

ciao from Italy Sue, I can only wish you good luck for all what you have already done and what you are going to do. Sometimes in life we face a bivio/crossroad and if we are able to choose our lives change, according to what you believe is most important for you.
I find you have chosen the best way you could, go on now and I hope you find lots of people who support your entusiasmo

ciao maddalena big_smile

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 04 Feb 09 2:59pm

rhianna899

Forum champ
Member since Mon 02 Feb 09

Hi Sue this sounds great, I really admire what your doing, it must have been hard to get to where you are!

An easy recipe I often do as a quick and cheap dinner ( for four) is:

4 potatoes, washed peeled and cubed (whatever is in season)
8 tomatoes chopped as finely as possible
peas (usually frozen)
500g good quality sausage meat
mushrooms, quartered
2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
fresh rosemary
fresh basil
pinch of brown sugar
sea salt and pepper
olive oil

Season the sausage meat and roll into golf ball sixed balls. Put into the fridge to firm up.
Cook tomatoes in a saucepan with a pinch of brown sugar, salt and pepper and the torn basil leaves. I also mash them a bit whilst cooking. If seeds and other bits of pulp and skin are not wanted you can sieve this mixture.
Boil potatoes for ten minutes.
Cook garlic lightly lightly with the rosemary in olive oil, before putting these into the tomato mixture.
Brown off the sausage meat balls in the same pan.
Then drain the potatoes and add these with the peas, sausage meat balls, mushrooms and potatoes into the tomato mixture, give it a good stir and simmer for 20 mins. Season as required!

This is such a quick, easy dinner and really cheap.

Good luck with everything, I can't wait to hear your updates!  smile

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 04 Feb 09 3:37pm

sandslane

thank you very much for the recipe and encouragement just popped back into office for a warm up been sowing Khol rabi for an early crop in the greenhouse ,sun is shining here todaya lovely day for being outdoors . smile

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 04 Feb 09 3:44pm

rhianna899

Forum champ

I'm jealous, I'm stuck indoors in the office, sun is shining here too!  smile

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 04 Feb 09 3:49pm

sandslane

yes but i was envious of people in warm offices on monday boy was i cold all daywe were weeding our blueberry crop some 1800 bushes not fun hmm

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 04 Feb 09 3:55pm

rhianna899

Forum champ

I can imagine with the weather like it was on monday! Ooh blueberries, when do they come into season? Hard work but it hopefully will be worth it  smile

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 04 Feb 09 4:31pm

sandslane

we have blueberries from may till late september three different varieties and we produced about six tons last year made loads of blueberry conserve and they freeze well too open for pick your own from may for blueberries  smile make absolutely fab muffins burst withjuicy berries and fab pies etcyummy

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 04 Feb 09 4:34pm

john_lee

Occupation Teacher and Writer
From Wales and Italy
Member since Mon 10 Oct 05

Hi Sandslane, welcome to the forum!

Rhianna, I like the sound of your recipe!

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 04 Feb 09 4:38pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

where are you on the planet, Sue?

Likes (0)