forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 06 Feb 09 9:58pm

abdullahcohn

Forum champ
Occupation Occupied
From My House
Member since Fri 11 Nov 05

Non-seafood in sea food restaurants should be banned!

Do you think non-seafood dishes in seafood restaurants defeat the purpose of having seafood restaurants?
Iím not talking about the chips with the fish, or the lettuce with the prawns.
Iím talking about whole dishes like lamb chops, roast chicken and beef.
Cooked without a single thing from the sea!
Donít you think that should be illegal?
And the same applies to all those fish and chip shops that sell savaloy.
Savaloy is not a fish; it is in no way a fish.
I know prawns and lobsters are crustaceans and clams and squid are molluscs, but they live in the sea, so by definition are sea food! Even though by scientific definition they are not fish, but linguistically the term fish can be stretched to include them, but canít be stretched to include a savaloy!

Do you know of any sea food restaurants, which are truly sea food?
How about fish and chip shops, that actually sell fish and chips instead of something that looks like and is most probably made from a pigís Ö .. .

Last edited by abdullahcohn (Fri 06 Feb 09 10:00pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 06 Feb 09 10:14pm

abdullahcohn

Forum champ
Occupation Occupied
From My House
Member since Fri 11 Nov 05

Re: Non-seafood in sea food restaurants should be banned!

Yes, if I go to a Chinese Buffet I expect Chinese food!
May be they can be forgiven to include the odd Japanese dish, or maybe even Malay dishes!
You might even be able to stretch the dishes to all the countries that border China and include Russian, Mongolian, Vietnamese, Laotian, Burmese, Bhutanese, Indian, Nepalese, Pakistani, Afghanistan, Tajik, Kyrgyz, Kazak and Korean. But not sausages from Vienna! Not Pizza or anything else from Italy!
If I wanted that stuff Iíd go to an Italian or Austrian buffet, if I go to a Chinese buffet I expect Chinese food!

But onion rings can remain, because I like them.

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 06 Feb 09 10:32pm

pennysaints

Forum champ
Occupation "Homemaker" and lovin it!
From Southampton
Member since Tue 10 Oct 06

Hi Abdullacohn,
   I think that to ban one type of restaurant from selling another type of food would be madness, This would exclude many people, and result in groups of friends or family from being able to go out to eat together. Until fairly recently many of my family would not eat fish of any kind, but they might want to eat at a steak restaurant, What would you rather I say, sorry can't go there because I really don't want to eat steak, we had that home yesterday. But you go there and I'll go next door and have salmon, ring me when your finished and we can maybe meet up for a drink in the pub next door. But after gobbling down my salmon so we have time to meet in the pub, the new rule also means I can't buy the cup of coffee in the pub because they have a licence and must only serve alcohol.
   We have had "fish and chip nights" once every couple of months since all our children have been born. In all that time it was only 3 of us that ate the fish. One had saveloy the other had meat pie, all had chips! Maybe I should have been going from one place to another in your world.
   You are a very contentious person, it would be really nice to read a post of yours that wasn't. The argument in this case really couldn't hold water!!!   exclaim

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 06 Feb 09 10:46pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

I don't see how it's different from a normal restaurant having vegetarian dishes. Just because the dishes are mainly meat doesn't mean that they mustn't have vegetarian dishes. If it's mostly seafood I don't see it as a problem. They probably do it because some groups have a person or two who doesn't like seafood and they'd rather get the group going to their restaurant rather than somewhere else.

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 06 Feb 09 11:22pm

DORSETFOODIE

Member since Wed 04 Feb 09

IMy husband is allergic to seafood, but I love fish, if they didn't throw an occasional steak or pork loin on the menu we'd never go to one.  That said you shouldn't have to rely on it being a "seafood" restaurant to get decent fish.  Choose your restaurants wisely and get the best of both worlds.

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 07 Feb 09 6:35am

chocolatl

Occupation mom and writer, in that order
From Illinois, USA
Member since Thu 22 Jan 09

I think we got the point of the rant, but it's just silly.  Except for the Kosher deli, where there are religious restrictions, there should be options for people who don't care for and/or cannot eat the house specialty. 
Choice is a good thing.  If you don't want the lamb chops or whatever, just don't order it.

Last edited by chocolatl (Sat 07 Feb 09 6:36am)

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 07 Feb 09 6:51am

mrpab

Forum champ
Member since Wed 23 Jul 08

well,  at least he did say the onion rings could stay ...  lol

Likes (0)