Jamie Oliver

forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 04 Feb 09 5:08pm

Chica

From London
Member since Mon 21 Jun 04

OPRAH SHOWING THE CRUEL WAY OF RAISING PIGS, CATTLE, CHICKENS

Hey on Oprah today her programme is focussed on issue of animals kept in tiny pens/cages that amounts to cruelty just like her friend Jamie has been showing the GBP all this time!!

Good on ya Oprah!

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 08 Feb 09 11:37pm

ljbritt50

Occupation Gluten Free Cooking Coach and College Cooking Instructor
From Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Member since Sat 03 Jan 09

Re: OPRAH SHOWING THE CRUEL WAY OF RAISING PIGS, CATTLE, CHICKENS

Last year I watched a show on Canadian TV that was from the UK. It featured a man called Hugh Fearnley-Wittingstall at his farm in Devon called The River Cottage. It was a wonderful series, although short ( to my disappointment ). On the very first episode I watched, they slaughtered lambs and showed the entire process in graphic detail. I was never so impressed with anything and it certainly made me re-evaluate where I buy my meat. I now buy directly from the farmer where possible. I get free range meat that has been humanely raised on natural feeds and slaughtered thoughtfully. The rest I buy from my butcher with careful consideration for the same issues. I just couldn't ever buy my meat from a super market again, after seeing those shows. Some people say they can't afford to eat organically raised meat, but my response is simply to eat smaller portions. If I am what I eat, then I want to eat critters that were treated with dignity and respect. I want to be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 09 Feb 09 12:48am

jamie

Chef
From Fifteen Restaurant, London
Member since Wed 24 Mar 04

wow i didnt know that the O was doing it on her show was it recent or a rerun?? if you from london then i guess it must have been a rerun on sky question

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 20 Feb 09 3:54pm

Lord_Thunda

Occupation Retired
From New England Highlands, NSW, OZ
Member since Sun 26 Oct 08

Here ya go Jamie  wink A write up about the aforementioned show ....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kerry-tru … 34830.html

Complete with graphic video  puke

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 20 Feb 09 3:59pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

ljbritt50, HFW did quite a few series.  Have a look here  http://www.channel4.com/food/on-tv/river-cottage/

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 20 Feb 09 6:30pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

We just passed a propositon here last Nov that outlaws the use of cramped cages for farm animals.  Particularly laying chickens which are not allowed to stretch their legs or wings because of the size of the cages.
Eddie

Likes (0)