Jamie Oliver

forum: Chicken

Subscribe to forums RSS

#31 Sun 10 May 09 11:24am

CraigJ

From Townsville, Australia
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

Re: New to keeping chickens in the garden - help needed

Sometimes you can keep roosters even though the council does not allow it. OW is a vet and occasionally supplies hormone supplements to clients who want to keep a rooster.

The hormones cause Mr rooster to act like Mrs rooster, and as such he does not make noise, not quite sure why you would want to keep a rooster unable to keep up his roosterly duties, but some do, I guess for show.

Likes (0)

#32 Wed 13 May 09 7:34pm

leon01

Member since Wed 13 May 09

I moved to Brittany back in March 2006 and part of my French dream was to have a few chickens. My daughter comes out for a 2 week holiday this Friday and I cant wait because on Monday we will be off to a local French market to buy 4 or 6 chickens.

I have already built a run and a  short term coup until the one i bought arrives, Ive started writing a blog and will report each week how the chickens are doing.

Pictures of the run and the birds can be seen at: http://www.brittanyholidaycottagestorent.com

After looking at the prices you can buy young chicks at 3 euros or 6 month old chickens ready to lay at 9 euros....looking to buy the 6 month old, the way i look at it is Im saving 5 months of feed cost, getting eggs straight away and the chickens should be hardier.

Last edited by leon01 (Tue 18 May 10 8:09pm)

Likes (0)

#33 Wed 13 May 09 7:40pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Welcome to the forums.

I'd do the same.

Good luck crossed

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#34 Tue 19 May 09 10:24pm

leon01

Returned to France on saturday with a Bantam Cockrel and my daughter and on Monday bought 4 hens that were ready to pruduce eggs and today was thrilled to find our first egg.

The first night was fun and games trying to get the birds into the coup but after 10 min of chasing them around the run I had caught all the hens and placed them in the coup. The Cockrel had gone in on his own.

This evening i turned up just before sun set to see the last hen walking in the coup and it was just a case of closing the door.....fantastic.

Likes (0)

#35 Tue 19 May 09 11:48pm

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

lovew that... for future reference try yo leep any new chickens in the pen for a day or 2.. after this they always return at dusk.

Likes (0)

#36 Fri 17 Jul 09 12:37am

leon01

The chickens are doing extremly well now, after 6 weeks not a single blade of grass can be found within the run and seeing how many holes they dig I'm glad they are kept in just one section of the garden. For a picture of the birds see: www.brittanyholidaycottagestorent.com

Likes (0)

#37 Fri 17 Jul 09 3:52pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Good news Leon. Are you enjoying their daft ways? smile

Likes (0)

#38 Fri 17 Jul 09 4:42pm

leon01

Buying the chickens has been the best thing I've done in a long time. My daughter loves them as does all the children staying at the holiday cottage. I used to keep Koi back in the UK and could while away time just watching them and like wise I do the same with the birds.

Just keeping my fingers crossed I can off set the cost as a business expense then it would be really perfect.

Likes (0)

#39 Fri 17 Jul 09 4:57pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

I had to look up Koi! but I see what you say, and the eggs should help the cost too! smile

Likes (0)

#40 Fri 13 Nov 09 10:22pm

leon01

Chickens and going on holidays can always present problems, thankfully I have friends down the road that also keep Chickens, ducks and geese. I rounded up my birds using a landing net, so much easier than trying to catch them by hand and less stress for the birds and currently they are on holiday at my friends.

Ive decided to sell the hens to my friends and will just take Spike the cockral back with a view of buying just one hen in the new year with a view of raising my own chickens with the aid of Spike. My daughter is looking forward to raising some chicks and it will be fun to see what they will look like crossing the birds. Pictures of Spike and the run can be seen at: www.brittanyholidaycottagestorent.com

I am also looking to buy a pair of Ducks next year after seeing my friends.

Likes (0)