forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 07 Jun 09 2:07am

goldmundo

Member since Sun 07 Jun 09

What Is the best oil for deep frying??

Hi
I have a restaurant and I've been thinking in increase the flavour of all the deep fry food I make ( Fish and chips, fishcakes, etc...) in a heathiest possible way
anybody got any ideas?

Have you guys ever try with lard,
Somebody told me about lard but I'm not very sure

Thanks

Oscar

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 07 Jun 09 5:59pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Re: What Is the best oil for deep frying??

Dripping or Lard is traditionally used in Fish & Chip Shops, and I used to use only Lard until about 15 years ago. I made the lard myself and clarified it. I certainly think dripping or lard gives the best flavour for Fish & Chips, and it is still used in good F & C shops.

However, in these health conscious times, we now use either sunflower oil or rape-seed oil though neither tastes as good as dripping, and you can only use them two or three times (lard seemed to last much longer).

You need an oil with a high smoke point, so Olive wouldn't really do for fish and chips, and neither would many other oils. Vegetable Oil is a possibility, though sometimes its a bit difficult to find out what goes into it.

Groundnut oil is good - but expensive for deep frying.

Hope this helps

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 07 Jun 09 8:07pm

French_vanilla

Forum champ
Occupation Secretary
From Dublin - Ireland
Member since Sun 01 Apr 07

I like to use sunflower oil....

But I remember Lesieur (French brand) had a mix of 4 different oils into the one bottle... I'll look it up and see if I can find which ones were used.. thought it was a nice and light combo....

Frenchie

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 07 Jun 09 8:12pm

French_vanilla

Forum champ
Occupation Secretary
From Dublin - Ireland
Member since Sun 01 Apr 07

Ok I found it... It's called Isio 4...

It's made of a mix of sunflower oil, colza oil, grapeseed oil and oleisol oil (which is exclusive to Lesieur... not sure what that one is)...

But you could experiment like that, and mix and match.... until you find the combination you like..

Frenchie

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 07 Jun 09 9:14pm

GeoffP

Forum champ

I've just heard from my next door neighbour about a rape seed oil which has been developed in Australia which is said to be better than the standard rape seed / Canola.

Its called "Manola" and should be available quite soon - its very high in monounsaturates, and low in polyunsaturates, and can withstand prolonged high temperature.

Some details here:-

http://www.nuseed.com.au/uploads/downlo … ochure.pdf

He works for the company which developed it - and is trying to get hold of some to try.

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 07 Jun 09 9:33pm

dukegus

Forum champ
Occupation Unemployed,
From Greece
Member since Fri 21 Mar 08

Nice info once again GeoffP. Lard must be amazing for fish and chips, god I would love to try!

Could I ask you in this or a new thread why you stopped brewing beer? I'm just starting and I want to know from someone with experience if it's "worth" it!

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 07 Jun 09 10:01pm

maddimouse

Forum champ
Occupation chatterbox addicted to cooking
From mid-west Germany
Member since Mon 23 Feb 09

Nothing to add to Geoff, am using the same oils now.  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 08 Jun 09 6:00pm

GeoffP

Forum champ

I used to brew both beer and wine - for many years. I think I stopped doing wine about 18 years ago, when we bought a house in France and found really fine wines at low prices from the area. I used to bring back 400 + bottles each year!

I stopped brewing beer about the same time, when decent beers started to become available -  there are so many good beers available now that my efforts seem redundant.

Mind you, it helps that I can now afford good wine & beer smile

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 09 Jun 09 2:55am

dukegus

Forum champ
Occupation Unemployed,
From Greece
Member since Fri 21 Mar 08

smile

I just started, not really really brewing, i brew with beerkits, not even boil my own wort, but once I can afford the equipment I would like to extract brew and eventually all grain...

I ask really, if I can invest in a hobby like brewing.
I love it like all fermentations, but can't afford the equipment yet. I like the fact that you can make good quality and cheap beer, too!

I think it's very important too that,

GeoffP wrote:

Mind you, it helps that I can now afford good wine & beer smile

smile

Thx again for the useful info  thumbsup

Last edited by dukegus (Tue 09 Jun 09 2:56am)

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 09 Jun 09 1:27pm

GeoffP

Forum champ

You don't need a lot of expensive equipment to get started brewing - just a big clean bucket to ferment in, plus some plastic tubing for racking off, some kind of filter, and a load of bottles with caps (screw caps or crown caps and simple capper that you hammer on.

Wine is much the same - a big bucket, plastic tubing, filter and bottles. You can use the same equipment for either.

You will also need some sterilizers - I used sodium metabisulphite (which is cheap).

In Greece, you have a warm enough climate not to need any extra heating smile

Go ahead and get started

Likes (0)