forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 13 Sep 09 12:15am

TiraMisuSH

Occupation Wine Associate
From Delaware
Member since Wed 02 Sep 09

Hot to tell if mussels are dead?

I bought a bag of mussels to make for dinner tonight and made the mistake of looking at the harvest date after getting home. They were harvested 6 days ago. I submerged them in water and half are floating and the other half are at the bottom. None were cracked, broken or open.
But I can't really ignore the fact that half are floating.

Are the floaters dead?

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 13 Sep 09 12:46am

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Re: Hot to tell if mussels are dead?

Yes, generally speaking.  Don't use floating mussels.  OK, it might just be cause they've trapped some air, but in the majority of cases, it's cause they are bad.

If you're doubtful about them, chuck them.  It's seriously not worth it.  The general rule is open when raw, or closed when cooked, means they are off.

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 13 Sep 09 1:53am

TiraMisuSH

Occupation Wine Associate
From Delaware
Member since Wed 02 Sep 09

Thank you for the little motto. I did find that after I had seperated the floaters from the sinkers and set them in bowls I noticed that the floaters alot of them opened and when I picked the bowl up an inch and let it drop they all closed up pretty fast so I used them anyway. and all the mussels opened when I cooked them in the pan so I felt safe.

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 13 Sep 09 2:25am

mrpab

Forum champ
Member since Wed 23 Jul 08

"...this mussel has moved on! It has crossed over! It's pushin' up daisies! It has joined the choir invisible! It is a late mussel! It has ceased to be! It is no more! It's troubles are over! It has merged with the infinite! Slipped the surly bonds of Earth!"

- that's what you say when they don't open up ...

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 13 Sep 09 2:51pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

It is an ex-mussel.

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 14 Sep 09 1:04pm

sergio1972

Forum champ