Jamie Oliver

forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 22 Jun 09 11:50am

Rubydo

Member since Mon 22 Jun 09

Wood Fired Pizza Oven

I am considering getting a wood-fired pizza oven built at home.  Can anyone help with the do's and don'ts or a good design?  I've seen some that look like an incinerator (not good) but want something a bit more stylish or authentic.  Thanks!

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 22 Jun 09 11:53am

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Re: Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Found a site that might answer your questions.

http://www.traditionaloven.com/

big_smile

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 22 Jun 09 10:41pm

Jay30

Occupation ... basking in the sun....
From Anguilla & Liechtenstein
Member since Fri 17 Jun 05

Hey Rubydo,

There are also several threads on bread ovens or outdoow wood ovens in the forums - for example check out here:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=32610

I know I am always interested in any pizza ovens or outdoor ovens - so let me know how it goes.

J.

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 23 Jun 09 12:29am

CraigJ

From Townsville, Australia
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

You can get a free set of plans from http://fornobravo.com/store/
It may not be the design you want, but can give you a good idea of what is involved.

All you have to do is go to their website and "purchase" a set of plans, the price is $0.00 but they still require you to go through the purchase process, no credit card details or anything, guess its just a way of controlling access to the plans.

We are eventually going to build one, when we finally get around to building a deck to place it on.

Hope this helps.

thumbsup

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 23 Jun 09 6:03am

bimborocks

Occupation Emissions Scientist
From Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Member since Thu 30 Apr 09

I am actually in the process of building a pompei brick dome oven using th eplans from Fornobravo.  They also have a forum attached to the website which is full of information.  Firstly I would have a think about exactly what you want to maily cook in the oven - ie just pizzas and a few loaves of bread or do you want to cook multiple rounds of bread.
The type of oven will be slightly but you can do either in both types of oven it is just that one designed to cook multiple batches of bread will take much longer to heat up but will hold heat for a long time whereas an oven designed for pizza won't have as much retained heat but will heat up much quicker.

Cheers
James

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 23 Jun 09 11:20am

jeremyll33

Member since Thu 21 Aug 08

I am dreaming of my own small pizza oven here in Bavaria but am nervious about neighbours complaining about smoke and whatever.

If one has a small oven how long does the fire remain inside before one cooks one's pizza? Does the smoke cause any nuisance to others nearby? Also how hot does the fire get inside? Can the heat damage trees nearby?

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 19 Jul 09 9:18pm

Dishpanhand

Occupation Man of Leisure (ish)
From Norwich, UK
Member since Wed 11 Mar 09

jeremyll33 wrote:

I am dreaming of my own small pizza oven here in Bavaria but am nervious about neighbours complaining about smoke and whatever.

If one has a small oven how long does the fire remain inside before one cooks one's pizza? Does the smoke cause any nuisance to others nearby? Also how hot does the fire get inside? Can the heat damage trees nearby?

If you check out youtube you will find quite a few videos on what to do when building,  lighting and cooking in a pizza oven. Quite interesting actually. I just searched by typing pizza oven.
We are thinking of getting a brick one built too, probably not as big as Jamies oven though.

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 11 Oct 09 12:13am

cannyfradock

Occupation Builder (bricklayer/ stonemason)
From S.Wales.
Member since Sat 10 Oct 09

Have recently built my own back-yard Pompeii style pizza oven. Have done much research on the subject before attemting to build such a beast. Decided not to buy plans of such a project as I hate parting with money. (the real reason is I have'nt got enough spare cash to afford such a luxery). Made my wood oven with all reclaimed materials including 3 different types of brick in construction. The dome was built using reclaimed "full wire cut clays" using the principle that these bricks have already been fired to a minimum of 1200 degrees in a kiln and I am hoping to achieve only 3-400 degrees to make this wood oven practical in its purpose. I have come across many problems in the construction of the oven but all have been overcome through trial and error and now am the proud owner of a fully functional working Pizza oven. If anybody has any questions on this subject then I would be glad to assist or give relative links to a particular problem. Tried to post pics (mid-construction and finished results) but as a new kid on the block,this was'nt possible

Regards Terry  (C.F)

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 11 Oct 09 12:29pm

magoo3

Member since Sun 11 Oct 09

I have also recently bult my own pizza oven and I love it if you are looking at building one in my blog I have shown how I built it dont put it off it is the best thing I have done for the back yard. I was going to leave a link but im not allowed
cheers  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#10 Sun 11 Oct 09 9:58pm

cannyfradock

Occupation Builder (bricklayer/ stonemason)
From S.Wales.
Member since Sat 10 Oct 09

Have managed to post a couple of pics on my blog. I am still finding it difficult to navigate my way round a new site. Trial and error....I love it!!!!

Am still genuinly interested in anybody who wishes to swap thoughts on the construction of a wood oven.

Regards Terry  (C.F)

Likes (0)