forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Fri 23 Oct 09 5:47pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Re: Which cake / gāteau would you choose for your birthday

Old fashioned homemade chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream frosting and vanilla ice cream.   I haven't had it since I was a kid.

Kye, I had only seen them done as Napoleon's, I could also go for a couple of mocha eclairs. wink

Likes (0)

#12 Fri 23 Oct 09 5:54pm

Stella Heath

Forum champ
Occupation getting along as best I can
From Burgos, Spain
Member since Mon 27 Oct 08

Any of the above, without the vanilla - can't stand even the smell of it, - gives me a headache roll

As a kid, I could never understand all the excitement at the arrival of the ice.cream van, until I eventaually realised that, at least in this respect I'm a "rara avis", to the point where I avoid bought cakes and puddungs, as they almost invariably have vanilla in.

Likes (0)

#13 Fri 23 Oct 09 10:09pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

yes Stella pan di spagna is eggs and sugar and very little flour, you then cut it horizontally and cover  with cream each layer, and about vanilla I was so surprised when I asked my dautgther to buy some vanilla pods in London for me, thinking they are cheaper there (are they??) and she told me she cannot stand it shocked I thought everybody liked it
I usually add grated lemon rind  or juice to give a better taste to stuff with eggs in it

cin cin kye till midnight

Likes (0)

#14 Fri 23 Oct 09 10:15pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I like an apple cake but I do like a coffee and walnut cake ,, lemon cake is also something that I enjoy occasionally.

I am not realy a very 'cakey person' and would rather something savory or a bowl of yoghurt !

Likes (0)

#15 Fri 23 Oct 09 10:27pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

slbeckett wrote:

For me it's always black forest cake - love it!

Mine, too!!!!  I fell in love with them back in Michigan when a couple from the Black Forest in Germany opened up a bakery in our town.  I think it's about my favorite next to a cassata cake.

Eddie

Likes (0)

#16 Fri 23 Oct 09 10:33pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

In the past i've made cheese cake and orange cake yummy I'll have to try them again soon....Black forest was a fav of my mum's, everytime we visited it was black forest, i don't think that i can them eat any more. hmm

Likes (0)

#17 Sat 24 Oct 09 1:40am

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

I would probably choose a mousse cake of some sort... chocolate, raspberry, mango, etc. They are light but full of flavour. I would also love to try croquembouche although usually for weddings I might have one anyways!

Likes (0)

#18 Sat 24 Oct 09 2:40am

Luvmegrub

Forum champ
Occupation Cleaner at The Salmon Arms
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Fri 22 Aug 08

I love chocolate cake but nothing too sweet.  I like it really moist and rich, not an airy-fairy sponge that you don't even know you've eaten a slice.  Cream and berries on the side is always good too.

Likes (0)

#19 Sat 24 Oct 09 2:46am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

chocolate mousse cake

Likes (0)

#20 Sat 24 Oct 09 4:29am

Birdymum

Forum champ
From Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Member since Thu 23 Oct 08

I love sticky date with caramel sauce to pour over the top,
next would be red velvet which is really just a kind of lite chocolate cake until you add the whipped tofu icing.   All dairy free. yummy

What they gave me for last birthday was citrus poppy seed, not too bad but they had to buy it from a limited selection, otherwise I would have had to make my own birthday cake.

Likes (0)