forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#41 Mon 15 Jun 09 11:38pm

badgersett

Member since Sat 21 Jun 08

Re: Chicken Korma Recipe EVER!

Great recipe, thank you for sharing it. I used it to cook my first korma and I used it last night to do a lamb korma. It will be one of my firm favourites.

David.

Likes (0)

#42 Tue 16 Jun 09 8:25am

runwestierun

Forum champ
Occupation Volunteer
From Oregon Coast USA
Member since Sat 22 Nov 08

Thank you for your testimonial, David.  I will try it, too.  I am trying to learn about curries.

Likes (0)

#43 Fri 04 Sep 09 8:01pm

kiwirocker

Member since Fri 04 Sep 09

For what it's worth, here's my version which tastes pretty close to how I remember kormas tasting in Indian restaurants in the UK in the 70's. It seems to have changed it's flavour in a lot of them since then.

For a change, to finish, when serving, put a swirl of honey on the top in the serving dish. Yum! I had this variation recently in Dunstable.

GInger/garlic paste can be bought in some asian food shops, or can be made by finely chopping then grinding in a pestle & mortar, or liquidising. Youíll need a good thumb size piece of ginger scraped to remove the skin, and about 4 or 5 garlic cloves, skin removed.

Chicken Korma

Ingredients:

500g         Chicken thighs, skinned, boned and cut into bite size pieces
2 Tpsn             Garlic/ginger paste.
150g         Thick (plain) yoghurt (Important! MUST be full fat - no low fat rubbish here, it won't work)
1                 dried red chilli or fresh green chilli chopped and deseeded (add another one for a bit more kick)
1                 large chopped onion
2 Tbsp             Ghee or clarified butter (It's part of the taste and it's healthy)
1 Tbsp             Ground coriander
Pinch         Ground black pepper
1 tsp         Turmeric
1 tsp         Garam masala
water
75g                 Creamed coconut
50g                Unsalted, unroasted cashews (about a decent handful)
1 tsp                Salt (to taste)
50 g                Ground almonds
3 or 4        Sprigs of coriander
juice         1 lime (or lemon)
A dollop             Double cream for a creamier finish to the sauce. (Maybe ľ to Ĺ cup)
Chopped coriander leaves, to garnish

Instructions:

1.    With your hands, mix the chicken with 1 Tbsn of the garlic/ginger paste and a tablespoon or two of yoghurt and the juice of the lime. Cover and marinade for 12 hours or in the fridge overnight.
2.    Add the ghee to a heavy based pan and when hot, fry off the chicken until sealed.
3.    Remove the chicken and reserve
4.    Add the spices for a minute or two over a low to medium heat. Donít let it burn.
5.    Turn up the heat, add the onion, remainder of the garlic/ginger paste and the chopped chilli and stir fry for 5 minutes.
6.    Add the cashews, the coriander sprigs and a little water to not quite cover and cook until everything is soft (about 5 minutes)
7.    Liquidise the mixture and return to the pan.
8.    Return the chicken and itís liquid to the pan.
9.    Add the creamed coconut and bring to the boil, stirring until the coconut is dissolved. Stir in the ground almonds and reduce the heat to barely a simmer, stirring often to prevent sticking and burning. About 10 to 20 minutes
10.    Remove from heat, and add salt to taste, then add a good dollop of double cream. Mix well.

It is ready to eat now with some rice and naan, garnished with the chopped coriander, but to let the flavours permeate through it is recommended to leave the dish overnight and reheat gently, avoiding burning. This can also be frozen successfully.
Most curries benefit from standing overnight.

I should add that you can feel free to adjust quantities to suit your taste. It's not set in stone but this is OK as a starting point. Mine tend to vary every time I make them as I don't always measure but just bung approximate measures of stuff in. crossed

I think that the cashew and almonds adds to the sweetness as well, but there's no harm in adding a little sugar or honey if you have a sweet tooth.

Taste, taste, taste as you go though.

Like all recipes, they vary on who is making them (Mum's is best?).
If you have any variations which turn out OK, please post and let us all know.

You can also substitute oil instead of the ghee, but you should really use some ghee for the taste. Using all oil doesn't taste the same.
On the other hand, I say, use all the full fat options and just don't pig out too often on it!!! yummy

BTW I have also added a recipe for Butter Chicken, a far too rich wink , creamy, mild recipe virtually indistinguishable from those I have ever tasted it in restaurants.

You can find it here.
www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=51125

Last edited by kiwirocker (Fri 06 Nov 09 7:05pm)

Likes (0)

#44 Thu 17 Sep 09 3:52pm

jacdcookist

Member since Thu 17 Sep 09

This recipe sounds amazing, giving it a go tonight!! crossed  crossed

Likes (0)

#45 Thu 17 Sep 09 3:58pm

leeza09

Member since Thu 10 Sep 09

feeling hungry by just reading the recipe. planning to try it very soon.

Likes (0)

#46 Sun 08 Nov 09 1:10pm

okcook

Member since Sun 08 Nov 09

I cooked this last night for my 8year old daughter and we both loved it. I added a little cream for a richer flavor, perfect! thank you i will make this again and again :-)

Likes (0)

#47 Sun 08 Nov 09 1:44pm

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

I make Ginger garlic paste in the food processor. I use 1cm of Ginger root for every clove of garlic. Once finely minced I scoop it into a ziplock bag, flatten out & store it in a plastic box in the freezer. Wheni need it I just snap off the required amount.

Likes (0)

#48 Mon 21 Dec 09 12:41am

JimShortz

Member since Sun 20 Dec 09

Great Recipe, thank you, but I think it still needs a few tweaks...

1.It needs a few teaspoons of sugar or honey to sweeten it up.
2.The addition of a few frozen peas really add to the overall taste (in my opinion!).
3.Cooking time seems a bit excessive - it can be cut back at all three stages and still taste great!
4.I have to use coconut milk as can't get creamed coconut here.

My slightly modified recipe is:

Ingredients:

1.kg Chicken breast or mini breast fillets
1 heaped tablespoon of finely grated fresh ginger
3 cloves of garlic, minced
150g thick (plain) yoghurt
1 dried red chilli
2 finely chopped onions
1 tbsp ghee or veg. oil
1 tbsp ground coriander
Pinch of ground black pepper
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp garam masala
water
500ml coconut milk
some frozen peas
1 tsp salt, or to taste
3 or 4 tsp sugar or a blob of honey
2 heaped tbsps ground almonds
finely chopped Coriander Leaves, to garnish
juice of  1/2 lemon or 2 limes

Instructions:
1. Cut the chicken breasts into largish bite sized chunks
2. Mix the chicken with the ginger, garlic and yogurt. Cover and marinade for 12 hours or in the fridge overnight.
3. Liquidise the chopped onion and red chillies, add a little water and blend until smooth.
4. Heat the ghee/oil in a pan.
5. Add the ground coriander, ground black pepper, turmeric and garam masala and stir fry for about 1-minute over a low heat, taking care not to burn them.
6. Turn up the heat, add the onion and chilli paste and stir fry for 5 minutes, adding water if necessary.
7. Add the chicken and the marinade and continue to stir fry for another 5 minutes.
8. Add the coconut milk and enough water to *just* cover the chicken and bring to the boil, stirring until the coconut is dissolved. Stir in the ground almonds and the frozen peas.
9. Reduce heat to low and simmer until the chicken is tender (15 to 20 minutes). Be sure to stir regularly to prevent sticking and burning.
10. Remove from heat, add sugar/honey, lemon juice and salt to taste. Mix well.
11. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve with steamed rice and a blob of natural yoghurt.

Eat what you must and then keep the rest for tomorrow when the flavours will have fully developed. Lovely!

Likes (0)

#49 Mon 21 Dec 09 12:55am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

JimShortz wrote:

Eat what you must and then keep the rest for tomorrow when the flavours will have fully developed. Lovely!

Yes, as often as possible i do double batches of curry a day ahead... and freeze some for home made ready meals too... most curries adont suffer from the freezer unless they are full of potato..

Likes (0)

#50 Mon 21 Dec 09 1:22am

Irenes

Member since Mon 21 Dec 09

I would cook both recipes without the yogurt - you end up with a slightly middle eastern taste.

Likes (0)