Jamie Oliver

forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 30 Nov 09 7:31pm

jutta73

Forum champ
Occupation Cook, cleaner, nanny, personal assistant, shopper - all without pay!
From Melbourne, Australia
Member since Mon 20 Apr 09

Could you / Would you run your own cafe / restaurant?

I was thinking about this question today, as I sat in the only cafe on the huge park near our house, eating a mediocre lunch, cake and average mocha, all at over-inflated prices. What can I say, Location Location Location.

I can make beautiful, delicious cakes, biscuits, sweets, and nice meals...better than most cafes I frequent due to being out and about with the kids. And it is no longer picnic weather in the UK!

I thought as far as the food goes I could run my own cafe and I feel confident that people would enjoy the food, but I would need some coffee making training or hire a barrista (I hope that is the right word!).

I am just so disappointed in most cafes, knowing that I could make better food.

Does anyone else feel this way? Ever thought of opening your own food establishment?

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 30 Nov 09 7:38pm

ACDC

Forum champ
Occupation Bewitched, bothered and bewildered Mother
From Ireland
Member since Tue 19 Aug 08

Re: Could you / Would you run your own cafe / restaurant?

I would love to do this Jutta. Not anything huge mind you. Just a nice smallish coffee shop, with good home made cakes, scones, soups, brown bread, good salads, lunches rather than dinners type, nice teas and coffees. My sister claims she would "do" the garden and make it an edible type. Her words not mine. I reckon I'd need an accountant as I'd likely bankrupt the place within the first couple of months.
I know what you mean Jutta, mediocre products and dirty premises. It's pitiful, and such a lack of pride in ones work.

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 30 Nov 09 7:42pm

DebDiMaggio

Forum champ
Occupation Newbie Mamma
From Italy-UK-Spain
Member since Mon 16 Jun 08

I'd like a little Italian place, but with a family café in mind, a lounge area with sofas and comfy chairs where you can have latte and cappuccinos with biscotti and cakes. And a part where working lunches are served, pasta, pizza, panini and antipastis for 2 with focaccia. Nice light wines and typical drinks like Chinotto and other italian beverages.

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 30 Nov 09 7:45pm

jutta73

Forum champ
Occupation Cook, cleaner, nanny, personal assistant, shopper - all without pay!
From Melbourne, Australia
Member since Mon 20 Apr 09

I would like to run an aussie milk bar/cafe, with proper milkshakes, a nice cake/biscuit selection, and two areas, one with toys for kids and suitable seating, and one for non-kiddy people. Not a huge selection of food, but good quality and tasty.

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 30 Nov 09 8:18pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Hmmm...I am not sure , I see this as quite a hard thing to do.
Yes, I can cook well and I can make some pretty tasty cakes , decent coffee and selections of teas etc etc , but ,its another thing altogether making money from this.

Commercial premises in decent areas are very very expensive which I would say puts the scheme at a disadvantage to start with.
Big chain competition...very difficult as they can afford the pricier premises and trade on a brand and reputation.

Equipment , furnishings , licenses , rates , rubbish collections etc etc ,all cost and it is hard to make a good return on your money from a few scones and tea and the like.

Lots of small cafes 'Go Under' , and quite a few of those are from folk who have sunk all their savings / redundancy money or similar into the project.

So I think that I will stick to making cakes etc at home for my friends.

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 30 Nov 09 8:45pm

mr spice

Forum champ
Occupation Working dad...
From Germany
Member since Sat 05 Sep 09

I went to Giraffe in London a few years ago and thought it was a great idea.
Very kid friendly without turning into fast food...
This would be my direction...its a lot of work though, not exactly family friendly work either...you're always working weekends and holidays.
Mrs S is definitely against it even though she's got a fabulous temperament for front of house sad

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 30 Nov 09 9:05pm

Jay30

Occupation ... basking in the sun....
From Anguilla & Liechtenstein
Member since Fri 17 Jun 05

I would love to do just that Jutta.... that is a wonderful idea.

I have been living in different areas in the Caribbean for the last couple of years and during all that time (because I was missing a lot of things from back home) I thought I should open a small litlle place - some sort of eclectic little bakery/coffee shop/specialty store selling nice breads and suits but also sandwiches with fresh prosciutto etc. .... Just a little space with the things I love most... can't be wrong?

The advantag here is that you don't have that much competition - the disadvantage is that your market is limited... Certainly there are still a lot of things missing - not even talking about product quality....

So it has always been a hard toss and as you might imagine I haven't done a thing.....

I have seen many come and jump into niches that I thought... I could have done that, couldn't I - Why did I not come up with that .... that sort of thing....  big_smile

But one of these days I will...... clap

I wonder what it would take - besides a lots of guts - for me to go forward? Does anyone have any experiences to share?

J.  yikes

Last edited by Jay30 (Mon 30 Nov 09 9:08pm)

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 30 Nov 09 9:15pm

Oatcake

Member since Thu 26 Nov 09

It would be hard work and might take the fun out of cooking. I'd like to buy a few places in Cornwall, design the menu, do a bit of cooking but mostly just manage the places. Masterchef and The Restaurant glamorize things - working in your own restaurant means sweating your socks off for 12+ hours a day most days for not much money.

In fact one idea I had, was to open a restaurant where you could have a "holiday" cooking there. They'd be staff to help, but given the popularity of cookery courses and TV shows, I think people would pay a few hundred to have a go at running a restaurant and getting to set the menu. Would make for an interesting place, especially in a nice tourist area.

Feel free to nick this idea - I'll make my millions another way :-)

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 30 Nov 09 10:31pm

janiz

Forum champ
From Gulgong, Australia
Member since Sun 23 Nov 08

In our little town of 2,500 people, we have at least 5 coffee shops/take away/milk bars and not one of them had good coffee and wonderful food. One comes close, good but not excellent.
We have often thought it would be great to run a coffee shop but the hours are long and some days customers can be difficult  hmm . I would like to incorporate a coffee shop with an old fashioned lolly shop...wow that would be great!! but it is too much of a financial risk for us. Done well in the right place i don't think it could lose.
There is a coffee shop/restaurant in the mts that comes closest to what I like...fabulous food and good coffee and a relaxed friendly atmosphere.
thumbsup

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 01 Dec 09 12:31am

mincepie

Forum champ
From uk
Member since Tue 07 Oct 08

Last week 2 girlfriends and I met for coffee in town. I thought the muffins dry, another said "yummy" and other thought mediocre.
I thought coffee delicious, one said too strong.
I guess we cant all be pleased all of the time.
The idea of running the quaint tea rooms is appealing, same goes for pubs, with breweries taking in and spitting out the never ending gullible queue of wannabe landlords.
I could think of many ways of losing money, with a lot less work whistle

Likes (0)