forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Tue 01 Dec 09 2:16pm

jutta73

Forum champ
Occupation Cook, cleaner, nanny, personal assistant, shopper - all without pay!
From Melbourne, Australia
Member since Mon 20 Apr 09

Re: Could you / Would you run your own cafe / restaurant?

Yes, there is the 'dream' and then the 'reality'. It would be hard work, a financial risk and lots of overheads. I just dream of cafes with good food, doesn't seem like such a big ask.

I am sick of dry muffins, mediocre cakes and eggs cooked in the microwave...I asked alot of cafes in a popular street near where I live and nearly all of them cook the eggs in the microwave. The only one that didn't had the best scrambled eggs I have ever tasted! At one cafe I asked how they cook their eggs, expecting the answer of fried, poached, boiled...the usual possibilities, they looked at me blankly and then said the microwave, as if it was obvious and could be no other possibilty.

So my dream of a nice cafe is my driving force, but it is a dream...

Likes (0)

#12 Tue 01 Dec 09 2:39pm

Earthmum

Forum champ
Occupation HR / mum / jack of all trades
From England
Member since Mon 21 Sep 09

It all sounds lovely, but trust me unless you have done that sort of work then be very careful.  I have been self employed for 11 years, hubby and I own a recruitment agency, before we set up we had both been in HR  and sales since we left school its hard work, and when money is tight it is you that does the extra work and gets no or little income.  Expenses are never ending, we spend over £10,000 a year on advertising alone, accountant fees are over £1,000 and that before we have bought to much as a pen!! or made a phone call !!.

I love cooking, and baking for the family, I made 4 dozen mince pies this Sunday and watched them and their friends eat the lot  yikes , do I want to do that every day .. . no.

But if the answer is yes, then go for it, the rewards can be there and are great, working for yourself is wonderful and if you truly love what you do then the skys the limit.

You only live once, and my father told me I must always live my dream ( I just wish he had paid the bills now and then  lol )

Gem

Likes (0)

#13 Tue 01 Dec 09 6:08pm

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

In reality no but I'm a Canadian and we much rather sit and complain about things and not do anything about it. lol

Likes (0)

#14 Tue 01 Dec 09 6:12pm

Mrs Gibba

Forum champ
Member since Thu 14 Apr 05

would be nice to run a tea and coffee shop, don't know if I would be any good though. oops

Likes (0)

#15 Tue 01 Dec 09 6:19pm

dawnrigoni

Forum champ
Occupation nature addict
From austrian countryside
Member since Tue 24 Feb 09

I think about this all the time. There was even an empty cafè that I fantasized about renovating and opening with all my cakes and cookies, and calling it "The Little Teacup."
Then I realized...what I actually want is someone ELSE to open up "The Little Teacup," and fill it with tasty baked things and good hot chocolate and coffee. I just want to enjoy it all, and not have to run it myself! I have two friends who own small businesses, and it is SO MUCH WORK.
So, I guess what I am saying is, I just wish there were better bakeries and cafès!

...I should also mention, I fantasized about it having bookshelves with wonderful vintage books and country interior design magazines, and a few mini tables and chairs for the children to sit in....fresh flowers every week...and very nice packaging for take-away, maybe white and pink striped. Yes, I put alot of thought into it. Now I just have to get someone else to open it!

Last edited by dawnrigoni (Tue 01 Dec 09 6:21pm)

Likes (0)

#16 Tue 01 Dec 09 6:39pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Dawn, there is a little tea shop in our town like that, I hardly have used it, hope it's still there, the food was very nice.

Likes (0)

#17 Tue 01 Dec 09 7:12pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Cafe/restaurant?.......No!

Bed& Breakfast?.................Oh Yes!
My dream was always to have a 5 or 6 bedroomed house (Georgian/Victorian with high ceilings), with tasteful antique beds etc, each room individually decorated, a comfy sitting room with a roaring fire & polished brass fender/fire dogs..........& a large mahogany dining table laid up with good china.
I wanted to do all the cooking:
the full Victorian buffet breakfast (including coddled eggs!), optional 3-course evening meals, & afternoon teas served either in the garden (summer) or in front of the fire (winter)..............then my dear husband died. It was too big a dream to handle on my own, & now I'm too old to do it.
I can still dream!

Likes (0)

#18 Tue 01 Dec 09 9:39pm

janiz

Forum champ
From Gulgong, Australia
Member since Sun 23 Nov 08

We ran a B&B for 3 tears and it was a wonderful experience however......

as we HAD to make money out of it (it was our only income and we had a bank loan on it) we had to take any and all bookings which made it difficult to get away when we wanted to (all packed and ready to go away for a w/e in Sydney with family and we got a phone call and the guests we at our door yikes ) and we did all the cleaning ourselves and washing. The only thing we sent away were the sheets for washing and ironing but they were never as good as when we had done them.....
The breakfast we prepared was a marathon...
Assorted cereals, freshly cut fruit salad, freshly baked croissants, (the accompaniments to these were almond butter, maple cream and berry coullis), yoghurt, then a hot breakfast of bacon, sausages, eggs (poached, fried or scrambled...your choice) tomato,mushrooms and toast.
The fruit salad and croissants were prepared fresh each morning....we had it down to a fine art but it was a big job exclaim
We met some wonderful people (only one bad lot) and really enjoyed it but after a while being "on call" (or feeling as if we were) was wearing. If we had the money to run the B&B when it suited us and to have a cleaning lady it would have been a different story but after 3 years we had had enough. Time to move on smile
And the money spent on advertising and the utility bills yikes  yikes  yikes plus keeping the beautiful old house up to standard.....
It was wonderful when we did it but we would never do it again unless it was a hobby and we didn't need the money wink ( as if that is ever going to happen lol )

Likes (0)

#19 Wed 02 Dec 09 6:24pm

Beautiful BC

Forum champ
From British Columbia, Canada
Member since Wed 04 May 05

jutta73 wrote:

I just dream of cafes with good food, doesn't seem like such a big ask.

I wouldn't be up for running my own cafe, but I understand the dream of having cafes with good food!  I'll gladly come visit forum member's cafes though.
thumbsup

Likes (0)

#20 Wed 02 Dec 09 6:50pm

jutta73

Forum champ
Occupation Cook, cleaner, nanny, personal assistant, shopper - all without pay!
From Melbourne, Australia
Member since Mon 20 Apr 09

It seems alot of us dream of opening our own 'foodie heaven' but honestly we just don't want the hard work, so we need our own foodie heaven to open just around the corner from each of us and we would all by happy!  big_smile  wink

Likes (0)