Jamie Oliver

forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Wed 02 Dec 09 7:06pm

Barrmac

Occupation HSE Manager/advisor
From Murcia Province,Cala Flores
Member since Fri 27 Nov 09

Re: Could you / Would you run your own cafe / restaurant?

I would never open a cafe' etc due to the fact that I like cooking and would never want it to be work, which would remove the fun and adventure of exploring new recipes in my own Kitchen and sharing it with a few friends.
I admire those who aspire to do so, but I am not among them.

Likes (0)

#22 Fri 04 Dec 09 4:20pm

Earthmum

Forum champ
Occupation HR / mum / jack of all trades
From England
Member since Mon 21 Sep 09

jutta73 wrote:

It seems alot of us dream of opening our own 'foodie heaven' but honestly we just don't want the hard work, so we need our own foodie heaven to open just around the corner from each of us and we would all by happy!  big_smile  wink

Oh I'm all for that  clap

Gem

Likes (0)

#23 Fri 04 Dec 09 4:47pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

DebDiMaggio, There's a business that made me think of you what we used in Amsterdam.  It's a little Italian deli with homemade foods, take-out, but it could easily work as a cafe with seating.  They had gorgeous fresh made salads and homemade dressings, homemade breads, lush selection of marinated goodies as you would expect, arancini, great little hors d'oerves for reheating, big, deep tarts, homemade sauces and noodles, lasagne, great sandwhiches made to order.  It was our fallback option when staying there for a couple of weeks, when maybe you are not up for sitting in a cafe, but want to zozz in front of the TV with takeout.

Another cool business in that area, a tiny take-out that was only open for about 2.5 hours through dinnertime, the Thai chef made wonderful Thai/European crossover dishes, very good Thai flavor using what was in season in Holland, cauliflower, lots of duck.  That guy was able to relocate, we still patronized his shop, he partnered with someone who opened a Thai-French crossover themed restaurant, but we still went for the Thai take-out, it was great.

Just a few ideas for those of you who might consider opening a food business.  It's hard work, a huge money risk, even if you're very good, restaurants are hit hard in recessions.  It's also very difficult for non-professionals/untrained cooks to produce consistent quality, especially with fiddly baked goods.  And, most of the baking has to happen at night.  It's not a life I would choose, I'd rather sleep at night, work by day.

Likes (0)

#24 Fri 04 Dec 09 6:43pm

lynnej

Occupation Web Designer
From Netherlands
Member since Wed 02 Sep 09

MsPablo do you have any idea where abouts in Amsterdam these places are? They sound great and  I'd love to give them a try sometime.

Likes (0)

#25 Fri 04 Dec 09 7:45pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

lynnej wrote:

MsPablo do you have any idea where abouts in Amsterdam these places are? They sound great and  I'd love to give them a try sometime.

Tom Yam
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en& … mp;spell=1

Parking is a bear, have someone wait in the car and pull up to the door, one of you can run in, unless you're planning to go by bike.  His old location was on Prinsengracht, very tiny, cool space, just a steam table and barely any space behind or in front of it.

The Italian take out place is on Rosengracht, as you have Prinsengract behind you, continue a few blocks away from the direction of Dam Square and it's on the right side where the Tweede Bloemsdwarsstraat crosses (taking a bow for spelling here, you should see me telling MrP what street we just passed in the car, I've got the first syllable mangled and we're already three blocks from it).
http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid=ie … CAsQ8gEwAA

Now, this place has a sign that says Verse Pasta and one on the window says, Pasta Panini, we've always referred to it between the two of us as Verse Pasta, so let me know if you find out the real name.  Nothin fancy, but Amsterdam has I think some of the best carryout places.  That's a great neighborhood, we always stayed at the Pulitzer and I really like the Koohinoor that's right near Prinsengracht on Rosenstraat or gracht, whatever it's called at that point, just across from the Westerkirck.

There is also a great Algerian place on Prinsengracht just across the street from The Pulitzer Hotel, they can be a trifle severe in their attitude, but the food's great.  The seating area is new.

Last edited by MsPablo (Fri 04 Dec 09 8:12pm)

Likes (0)

#26 Fri 04 Dec 09 8:27pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

I think the Pablos could write a very interesting useful book on where to go to eat and not only .......... all over the planet
if so, I book the first copy to read under an apricot tree  in full summer and dream wink

Likes (0)

#27 Sat 05 Dec 09 2:36am

Tara

Forum champ
Occupation Mother, Best Friend, home trained cook.
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sat 22 Dec 07

jutta73 wrote:

I was thinking about this question today, as I sat in the only cafe on the huge park near our house, eating a mediocre lunch, cake and average mocha, all at over-inflated prices. What can I say, Location Location Location.

I can make beautiful, delicious cakes, biscuits, sweets, and nice meals...better than most cafes I frequent due to being out and about with the kids. And it is no longer picnic weather in the UK!

I thought as far as the food goes I could run my own cafe and I feel confident that people would enjoy the food, but I would need some coffee making training or hire a barrista (I hope that is the right word!).

I am just so disappointed in most cafes, knowing that I could make better food.

Does anyone else feel this way? Ever thought of opening your own food establishment?

I can see now where my dream was inspired, I must have read this thread at some point, but wow there must be something in it.  If you havent already, check what I wrote in the what are you doing right this minute thread Jutta.  smile

Likes (0)

#28 Sat 05 Dec 09 5:50am

lynnej

Occupation Web Designer
From Netherlands
Member since Wed 02 Sep 09

Thanks so much for the addresses MsPablo, I've made a note of them and know roughly where most of them are and will certainly be trying them out, I'll let you know how it goes smile
lol yes Tweede Bloemsdwarsstraat would be a huge task to pronouce but your spelling is great!

Likes (0)

#29 Sat 05 Dec 09 7:09am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

If you want to go broke and start to hate food and cooking, go for it hmm

I ran (still do when not organising funerals) a private catering business- corporate lunches, dinner parties  etc cooked at the clients' home/place of business. Trouble is, my idea of an equipped kitchen is not the same as some others. I'd end up lumping my equipment too and fro. It really isn't worth it and is certainly not "family friendly.

I've started the animal businesses in 2004, thinking "Oh, good, I can cook from home" (unlike cooking for humans). Though some may find it difficult to believe, it is the same hard slog. There's marketing, recipe development, shopping, cooking, selling, cleaning, keeping/trying to keep the books in "the black", packaging, distribution and so it goes ... on and on ...

At the end of the day, the family walk in and ask "What's for dinner?" My initial reaction is to scream, grab the nearest implement and throw it. After being in the kitchen for 16+ hours/day seven days a week, the last thing i want to do is cook.

Ironic, isn't it?

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#30 Sat 05 Dec 09 7:12am

Tara

Forum champ
Occupation Mother, Best Friend, home trained cook.
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sat 22 Dec 07

Thats exactly why I dont want to run a business like it.  Im doing it at more often at work now and the unspoken rule is, if Im cooking someone a meal at work the OH is cooking at home.   smile

We've been eating more take out than usual of late  hmm  evil  this needs a rethink.

Last edited by Mrs_Master (Sat 05 Dec 09 7:13am)

Likes (0)