Jamie Oliver

forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 09 Feb 10 1:14pm

emmadrew

Member since Wed 18 Mar 09

Food foraging around the UK

I've just read on someone's blog about the top ten food foraging trips (ranging from a couple of hours to a weekend), and I really fancy learning more than the basics I already know....especially as we get into Spring and summer - excited about wild garlic already!

The top ten listed are great, but I'd like to see who else is out there. Does anyone know of anyone who they've heard of or recommend?

Thanks!

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 09 Feb 10 4:08pm

Earthmum

Forum champ
Occupation HR / mum / jack of all trades
From England
Member since Mon 21 Sep 09

Re: Food foraging around the UK

Hi Emma, I have never got much further than picking blackberries and elderberries.  Would love to learn more now I have moved more to the country found this website http://www.wildfoodschool.co.uk/.

I grow a lot of my own fruit and veg already and am itching for the spring to arrive !!.

Gem

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 09 Feb 10 4:15pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I spent a lot of my childhood wandering about the countryside and collecting / eating what I knew to be edible.
I was always taught to avoid picking mushrooms as you really have to know what you are doing .

We always made jam from the blackberries. and apples collected from the hedgerows. or ,rather my mother did ..not always the best consistency buy tasted ok !(she was not a great cook !!).

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 09 Feb 10 8:51pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Been a rural forager for 60 years.................if it's not poisonous I'll have a go!

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 10 Feb 10 6:43pm

westcoast_richo

Occupation University Student
From Perth, Western Australia
Member since Wed 12 Nov 08

Yeh it sounds really exciting! I've just been watching River Cottage, and i love all the foraging done by Hugh and John, its really interesting and the idea of free food just lying around is very exciting smile

Wonder if there is that much to find over here in Australia, might have to keep an eye out! :P

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 10 Feb 10 9:45pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

As the ever present voice of caution, do try to avoid getting food from areas that are or were industrial sites or near farms that do a lot of spraying. Roadsides are also not terribly nice places because the exhaust pollution is really rather nasty.

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 11 Feb 10 4:37am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

westcoast_richo wrote:

Yeh it sounds really exciting! I've just been watching River Cottage, and i love all the foraging done by Hugh and John, its really interesting and the idea of free food just lying around is very exciting smile

Wonder if there is that much to find over here in Australia, might have to keep an eye out! :P

There is HEAPS of foraging to do in Australia! A lovely mix of discovering native foods and finding the feral introduced things. I am also inclined to count the fruit trees that lean laden over fences or the basket of lemons the guy up the street puts out with a 'Help Yourself' sign! big_smile

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 11 Feb 10 4:50am

westcoast_richo

Occupation University Student
From Perth, Western Australia
Member since Wed 12 Nov 08

Hmm true white rabbit, would have to possibly stay away from those areas. Sounds great joy, i guess i just need to know where to look smile that lemon guy sounds fantastic haha, how cool, a great idea!

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 21 Feb 10 6:51pm

kiprosewood12

Occupation Student
From South Wales
Member since Sat 20 Feb 10

i live on a farm and have found it amasing how much you would usualy ignore is eddible and tastes realy nice. yummy

if you go on ebay and type in wild foods it comes up with a great selection of books i would post a link but it wont let me bacause i havent been a member for over a week

Last edited by kiprosewood12 (Sun 21 Feb 10 6:51pm)

Likes (0)

#10 Sun 21 Feb 10 7:15pm

mr spice

Forum champ
Occupation Working dad...
From Germany
Member since Sat 05 Sep 09

My mum reckons Morrisons does great food for aging.
Both my parents are pensioners and they are in there about 4 times a week for the 2 for 1 bargains lol  lol  lol

Likes (0)