Jamie Oliver

forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#31 Fri 19 Feb 10 5:16am

mrpab

Forum champ
Member since Wed 23 Jul 08

Re: Pancakes !

a "savoury pancake", as discussed here, ranges from a sweet American style pancake with a savoury side-dish like bacon or sausage, to a French crȇpe-style thin pancake filled with savoury fillings such as meat, cheese or vegetables.
Come now people, you've never heard of a pancake with savoury filling or side?
Example: we had the greatest crȇpes in Madrid, called "crȇpes Catalan", filled with spinach, cheese, raisins, etc., in Amsterdam we had fantastic huge crȇpes filled with ham and cheese, egg, curry, all kinds of stuff! - so how come this is so strange to you?

Likes (0)

#32 Fri 19 Feb 10 5:49am

dmfootycoach

From Ontario, Canada
Member since Mon 11 Jan 10

As simple as it may sound a pancake was always just a pancake! Its the beauty of a forum like this. I remember being at a "pancake house" in Europe and being appaled at the fact you were even offered to eat them with anything but Canadian Bacon, maple syrup and sausages, with maybe eggs and a toasted english muffin with melted cheddar. A very typical Canadian pancake meal. Dont forget the coffee and milk seperate on the side.
To me crepes are always filled with unique things. Maybe I'm confused crepes are always thin and easily rolled with goodies yes? Whereas pancakes (flapjacks) are thick round bready things covered in whatever your choice is. I've listed mine above.
19 years later I'm now willing to be educated. big_smile

Likes (0)

#33 Fri 19 Feb 10 5:51am

mrpab

Forum champ
Member since Wed 23 Jul 08

well there you go DM, you already knew about savoury pancakes and didn't realise it!
I am sooo hungry right now ...  roll

Likes (0)

#34 Fri 19 Feb 10 6:07am

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

This truly was a terrible thread to read when sleepless at 5am.  Peckish, peckish...

Likes (0)

#35 Fri 19 Feb 10 6:38am

dmfootycoach

From Ontario, Canada
Member since Mon 11 Jan 10

I feel kinda cheated now. So savory pancakes describes the add ons? I was expecting something added into the mix! So i've been eating savoury pancakes weekly and not even knowing it? Man I feel silly! Thanks for the enlightening!

Likes (0)

#36 Fri 19 Feb 10 9:11am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Ha! DMfc,
I especially like pancakes used almost like cannelloni, wrapped up around ricotta and spinach with tomato sauce over and baked for a little.
But I do make savoury pancakes where herbs and grated cheese are added to the pancake mix, maybe a little chilli too, finely sliced spring onions and so on.
And I think savoury pancakes reach their culinary heights with those southern Indian pancakes made from rice and urad dal (dosas) and have chilli, curry leaves and so on in them. O yum, I love them so much! clap

Likes (0)

#37 Fri 19 Feb 10 9:21am

jutta73

Forum champ
Occupation Cook, cleaner, nanny, personal assistant, shopper - all without pay!
From Melbourne, Australia
Member since Mon 20 Apr 09

dmfootycoach wrote:

I feel kinda cheated now. So savory pancakes describes the add ons? I was expecting something added into the mix! So i've been eating savoury pancakes weekly and not even knowing it? Man I feel silly! Thanks for the enlightening!

Not so silly...I recently made Okonomiyaki which is japanese savoury pancakes and the goodies are mixed in with the batter...well when I make them they are! Here they are on my blog:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/bloggers/vie … p?id=58051

http://www.jamieoliver.com/bloggers/vie … p?id=58050

I added prawns and salmon to this one. But you can add what you like, that is what Okonomiyaki means, 'as you like it'.

Likes (0)

#38 Fri 19 Feb 10 9:10pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

whitedog wrote:

Minerva, you are pulling our collective leg, no? Never had sausages or bacon and pancakes with maple syrup? Sweet and savory like turkey and cranberry sauce or curry and chutney, leg o lamb and mint jelly....barbeque sauce???!!! Its not that strange, and in US its traditional. The sausages or bacon are on the side, get just a little stickiness on their edges, or not if your careful.... it could be a whole new thing for you, maybe wait till your feeling calm and even bored   shocked  yikes  might be a while.

Done it, tried it, hated it!

Sweet OR savoury................& ne'er the twain shall meet on my plate.

If you like it, I wish you joy of it...........but for me.......... puke

Likes (0)

#39 Fri 19 Feb 10 9:31pm

minerva

Forum champ

MsPablo wrote:

I regret that we didn't try fairy cakes and British pancakes on the short trips there.  Next time we'll be sure to ask all of you what and where. 

big_smile  Min: I will always take a "Fairy cake"over a "Cupcake".............because it's the sponge cake that I like, not all that ghastly frou-frou (sugar/butter junk that i would have to scrape off before I could eat the cake) piled up on top...........a nice bit of simple lemon flavoured glace icing & a smartie on top, or a few jellytots, or even 1/2 a cherry & a bit of angelica. Lovely!

MsP: Some things I might add to American style pancakes and this would be a typical jet-lag dinner:
- fresh squeezed orange juice, dash of Cointreau

big_smile  Min: OJ/Cointreau combo works on our thinner pancakes too.

MsP: Flavored maple syrups:  melt butter and maple syrup with:  blueberries, strawberries, orange juice, blackberries.  Using these helps cut down a bit on how much butter and syrup you need to use.

big_smile  Min: I never feel the need to add butter to my pancakes. Because I use free-range eggs in the batter, adding butter gilds the lily........you can no longer taste the egg.

Likes (0)

#40 Fri 19 Feb 10 9:37pm

minerva

Forum champ

dmfootycoach wrote:

pancakes (flapjacks)

Ah, now you see "Flapjacks", opens a whole new can of worms!!!!

A teatime biscuity/cakey thingy made from: butter, oats, golden syrup/honey, demerara sugar, possibly coconut, maybe spice.

If you want a recipe for a proper Flapjack.............just ask!  whistle

Likes (0)