emmadrew

Member since Wed 18 Mar 09

Re: Food foraging around the UK

Only just seen this. Very funny!

Likes (0)

#12 Wed 10 Mar 10 1:13pm

TerryKay

Forum champ
Occupation Beer Reviewer, Freelance Writer and Pole Dancer at Peppermint Hippo.
From London
Member since Sun 06 Dec 09

emmadrew wrote:

I've just read on someone's blog about the top ten food foraging trips

Who's blog?

Likes (0)

#13 Wed 05 Oct 11 4:48am

AliceG

Member since Wed 05 Oct 11

Cattails are really versatile plants -- they provide something edible during most parts of the year such as cucumber-flavoured young shoots, cattail pollen that can be used as a flour substitute, or the roots, which are also edible. If anyone is interested, I've posted some more information on cattail as well as a recipe for Cattail Dilled Yogurt Soup on my Wild Green Smoothies group on Facebook
... sorry I'm not able to provide a link, but if you type Wild Green Smoothies into the search field at the top of the Facebook page, it should come right up.

Likes (0)

#14 Wed 05 Oct 11 3:02pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

mr spice wrote:

My mum reckons Morrisons does great food for aging.
Both my parents are pensioners and they are in there about 4 times a week for the 2 for 1 bargains lol  lol  lol

Quality, well done Mr Spice

Likes (0)

#15 Wed 05 Oct 11 3:06pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Hughs the Man. Worth checking: nature groups,forestry comision, National Trust and others. Most of them have Mushroom Fungi guided tours. Usualy done with expert knowlege of Fungi and the area. We were pointed to a superb spot by one 2 weekends back. Now is the time for Mushrooms.
Good luck!

Likes (0)

#16 Fri 07 Oct 11 7:03pm

regulo9

Member since Fri 07 Oct 11

We've got a local wild raspberry patch. The weird thing is, you never see anyone picking them.

I seemed to spend most of my childhood picking blackberries and elderberries, but it seems to have died out as a hobby.

Likes (0)

#17 Fri 07 Oct 11 7:44pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

People have become either lazy or have frightened themselves half to death with horror stories of how they can poison themselves.

There is plenty of fruit that can be foraged without harm or poison.
More than a few herbs & fungi (with proper instruction, due caution & a d*mned good guide book).
Freshwater fish (& sea fish on the coast) if you have a rod & patience (though beware of poaching!)

...............& game if you have a Shotgun, a license & a good eye!

All hail that other wild-food hunter............the Fridge-forager!
I am one, the OH is the other!
Guess which is which.  lol

Likes (0)

#18 Fri 07 Oct 11 8:22pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I love those willow structures that sprout leaves in spring.  I've always admired natural fences and baskets.  I have a neighbor who is quite an expert basket-maker, but she doesn't grow her own materials.

eta:  Oops, meant to post this on another thread.

Last edited by MsPablo (Fri 07 Oct 11 8:27pm)

Likes (0)

#19 Fri 07 Oct 11 8:28pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

I heard/read of a story of two women that planted vegs in their village, the side of roads, town hall grounds, round abouts, any free land was planted with lettuces, carrots, tomatoes..was it in France or in GB?...

The thing was that even when they publicised the fact that anyone could help themselves, none did, so it may have been in GB as i rememer them as so reserved. 

These two women accompanied the habitants to literally dig out and offer the produce.

Likes (0)

#20 Fri 07 Oct 11 8:39pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

North of England somewhere, I seem to recall it on the news..............people wouldn't pick stuff if they thought it belonged to the Council as part of a display.......that's theft!

Likes (0)