Jamie Oliver

forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Fri 12 Mar 10 3:58am

SanAntonioMom

Member since Wed 17 Feb 10

Re: We need a food revolution in Texas!

I am doing what I can but this state and particularly San Antonio are difficult.  We are the 3rd "fattest" large city in the country and also high on the list (also third I believve) of least educated we have a huge immigrant population that is low income - it is a bad combination.  I participate on the Nutrition Committee for our District (Boerne ISD) - we have agreement that obesity is an issue but people are actually arguing that what you eat doesn't matter - only how much you eat.  Several of us are passionate about nutrition - we want our kids to eat fresh, whole, healthy foods - yet we are fighting a battle of budgets and resources and excuses.  The schools argue that "their" pizza is low fat with whole wheat crust so serving it every day is acceptable.  Nearly every food on the menu coudl be served at the state fair - so even if the nutritional content has been modified to make these fair foods "healthy" - the kids learn that eating corn dogs and pizza and burgers every day - with no salads or fresh vegetables - is ok.  We have people on the committee who actually argue that eating pizza every day IS perfectly ok - HELP!!  The school actually had a garden last year - but they no longer have it because they say they "can't afford it" - since when is buying vegetables cheaper than putting some seeds in the ground?  I know they can't grow ALL their produce - but surely some is possible and can teach the children where real food comes from?  Honestly - unless we have high profile exposure I don't think the few of us here who fight for this can win.  We have so many local farms - some organic some not - but partnering with them could bring fresh foods into the schools and help the local economy - how can that be wrong?

Jamie - this is my plea to you - to please please please come to San Antonio (and Boerne and Austin and Dallas and El Paso and Houston and Corpus Christi - the entire state - while you are in the neighborhood) to help these adminsitrators and Gov Perry understand that it is our responsibility to teach the children what is healthy and even to give the children the tools to teach their parents - because many of them just don't know what is healthy or how to cook real food on very small budgets. This state needs a wake up call in a huge way and we need to stop giving lip service to farm-to-school programs that aren't utilized.

We need BIG change!

Likes (0)

#12 Tue 16 Mar 10 5:16am

gurumandy

Member since Fri 12 Mar 10

It is so sad that it is acceptable to feed our children the crap that the school systems do!  I am so thankful that I can provide healthy meals for my child to eat every day, every meal.  But there are so many that do not eat anywhere except school.  It also angers me to no end that I see so many parents who will prepare healthy meals for themselves, and convenient ones for their children!  I get ridiculed endlessly by family members and "friends" for knowing exactly how much sugar my kids eat daily and regulating it!  My children do not get soda and will not as long as they live with me!  I am so grateful that Jamie is man enough to take a stand against this epidemic!  I will do everything I can to back you, advertise you, promote you and support you.  Tell me what to do and I will do it here!  I am in Granbury, TX. mad

Likes (0)

#13 Tue 16 Mar 10 6:59pm

jojorab

Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

I think Texas is in dire need of some food makeover. We are literally killing our kids with the food we eat. I've been battling my weight all my life and had lost over 100lbs before I came down here 10 years ago, and then the Texas way of eating happen. I'm having such a hard time finding good fruits and veggies that dont' coast and arm and a leg. My husband is addicted to sauces, gravy, potatoes, meat bbq, etc.
And the kids are growing up that way.  We can buy the best oils and gas in our cars, but we are feeding are kids the worst foods in the world. I am part of the Health department here in Rockport and when I told them the other day that the food in the schools were awful their answers, were, it was worst before. I don't care about before i care about now.  Nachos, fish sticks, pizza, cheeseburgers, fajita meet??????where's the healthy food in that? I send the petition link to everybody I know thsi morning for them to sign. Wouldn't it be nice if Texas was known for being the Biggest Healthiest state in the US???

Likes (0)

#14 Tue 16 Mar 10 7:53pm

kitkat6976

Occupation Paralegal
From Houston, TX
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

Being from Houston - I see much of the same issues with Farmer's Markets and with my friends' frustrations about their kids' lack of interest in anything outside of hotdogs, mac and cheese, and pizza.   I have no kids, but believe that it takes a village to raise a child.  Engage your friends (even ones without kids) to help advocate and become active in promoting a healthy lifestyle. 

For suggestions on projects:  My office is developing a community garden in a lower income area.  We petitioned the city to takeover some long-abandoned property and demolish the structures for the garden.  We've just started building the hardscape as a part of a six month project.  Now that we've started on one small thing, I am interested in keeping this one-time volunteer project running by checking up on the garding and providing education on proper nutrition and providing a mechanism for the community to continue on it's progress away from processed foods. This project started as one that our Mayor attempted to launch, but couldn't follow through because of the lack of government representative support.  I thought it was a great idea, so we are pushing forward without waiting on them to approve a city-wide practice.   

The best advice I can give on getting involved is to determine the resources you can contibute, and start it yourself.  Don't wait for someone else to start a group, organization, or project - it may never get done otherwise.  When you start something, others will support, and it will grow.  If you find resistence, keep looking elsewhere.

Likes (0)

#15 Wed 17 Mar 10 4:43am

mhaskell

Member since Wed 17 Mar 10

I live in Austin and currently have a small business called "Be Groovy Be Green!"  Our mission is to inspire generations of children to be friendly and eco-active through stories, songs and play.  It's much easier to be friendly and active when we are eating healthy! I have a booth at our Austin Farmer's Market where I do recycled art pieces with the children, tell stories and sing songs.  I'm working with the market to expand my booth into a "Kids Area" where kids can eat precooked organic food and the parents can take home healthy and yummy recipes to cook for the kids!  This area will include a gardening area they can take seedlings home and grow their own plants to. 

I hope to expand this Kids Area to other local Farmer Markets
and other places that apply.  If anyone is interested in helping expand kids areas in Farmer's Markets to encourage healthy eating and more for kids contact me or if you are in Austin come by the AFM!

I would love to work with Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution Campaign!

Maureen

Likes (0)

#16 Wed 17 Mar 10 3:01pm

dbrown

Hi,

I'm in Houston and to be honest my boys are too young for school, but I'm terrified of what they will be eating in a couple of years.  I wish we could take the school passion and pass it on to corporations.  I am a corporate wellness consultant and it is very hard to convince employees/parents to change their lifestyle so I fear for their children.  We need to start with parents speaking out and hope that it filters down to the younger generations. 

Does anyone know of local causes that we can volunteer for?

Likes (0)

#17 Wed 17 Mar 10 3:19pm

CeeCee8

My husband and I have loved Jamie since his "Naked Chef" days on TV. 
He recently sent me a link to Jamie's acceptance of the TED award.  I had no idea Jamie was shaking things up here in the US.  I'm thrilled.javascript:emoticon('clap')

In watching the ad for Food Revolution, I know I'll have a hard time watching the show. He's only trying to help. People don't want to change. In the ad, they make that painfully clear.  Food is one of the legal drugs we have for treating our emotional ills.  It's far cheaper than cigarettes, alcohol, and other drugs.

Likes (0)

#18 Thu 18 Mar 10 2:52am

FitKidNetwork

Occupation Personal Trainer / Coach
From Texas
Member since Wed 24 Feb 10

San Antonio Mom, I feel your pain. There are those of us that will help until Jamie makes it this way. I would like to plan a San Antonio Fit Kids Tour and am looking for some inside help. I would love to come to the schools or community centers and do what I can. I am a keynote speaker and advocate for kid fitness. if we can get something set up I will come down F.R.E.E. of charge. I know we can get the assistance from other trainers in the area as well.

Maureen, as soon as I post this I am going to google you and your business. I hope to contact you! I think your idea - Be Groovy Be green is fantastic and I would like to advertise you and possibly do an interview on my blog. (you can check it out at http://wp.me/pHZDS-2Z . Let's all come together and actually DO SOMETHING. Don't wait for the government to legislate health and fitness. It's in OUR hands. We have the ability to start making the change. the legislation is the (sorry) icing on the cake (so very sorry lol)

I hope to talk to you all sometime soon.

Coach Scott aka "Captain Fitness"
www.fitkid.tv

Likes (0)

#19 Thu 18 Mar 10 2:54am

atinsley

Member since Thu 18 Mar 10

I absolutely agree we need to start something in Texas!  I'm in the DFW area...and am surrounded by obesity.  I was a personal trainer for a while as well as a allstar coach, and it is so terrifying how unhealhy these kids are.  Unfortuntely, the parents are to blame here, and lots of times just because they don't know any better.  If we can teach the children how to be healhier, we can stop this cycle.  I don't want to just talk about it, I am ready to take action.  I am no longer in the health and fitness field, but I still have plenty of contacts as well as plenty of parents that would be more than willing to take the next step.  If anyone that reads this is in the DFW area and wants to join forces, I say lets do it!  Next step is to brainstorm and figure out our first target areas, as well as important contacts.  It's time for a gameplan!

Likes (0)

#20 Thu 18 Mar 10 3:11am

FitKidNetwork

Occupation Personal Trainer / Coach
From Texas
Member since Wed 24 Feb 10

atinsley,
Dallas is my second home in Texas. I just left there this weekend (the kids are spending spring break with grandma). I know of a few trainers in that area as well as some folks that just want to make a change. Give me a shout when you have time.

Nothing to it but to do it!

Coach Scott aka "Captain Fitness"
www.fitkid.tv

PS. I tried to post my email address but you can reach me though my blog.

Likes (0)