forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#41 Wed 24 Mar 10 5:37am

sandrinehahn

Member since Wed 24 Mar 10

Re: Chat about Jamie's Food Revolution and connect with others

I lead an award winning campaign called Nourishing Our Children - on the world wide web at nourishing our children dot org (the link was not accepted because this is my first post).  I'd love to get Jamie our presentation and audio book electronically - because I think it will resonate deeply with him based on the first Food Revolution episode I saw -- how can I send links for Jamie to download?

Likes (0)

#42 Wed 24 Mar 10 5:50am

mrpab

Forum champ
Member since Wed 23 Jul 08

email your links to missioncontrol<at>jamieoliver.com, and Danny, Eric and the crew will do the best they can to get the info to Jamie.

Likes (0)

#43 Wed 24 Mar 10 9:13am

sleengky

Sharonbrookes wrote:

Hi Jamie, I just watched your show tonight on Huntington school.  I cannot believe the ignorance of the dinner ladies there, they probably feed that same crap to their own families "Yuk"  They are absolutely ignorant and do not seem willing to take good advice and appreciate what you are trying to do for them.  Good luck with that, you have more patients than me. 
They don't know how to find their own country on a map, let alone what to feed their children.  I also see Canada following right behind them, everyone I see lately is obese.  It is just pure laziness!

Ms. Brooks,

I too just watched Food Revolution, but I have a little extra insight into the people of Huntington that you may lack. I am from Huntington. I don't condemn Jamie for his efforts here, I praise him. He did a great thing for my community, and made enormous sacrifices to do so. However, your comments on the "ignorance" of the public school cooks (I would call them lunch ladies too, Jamie) are a bit out of line. I personally am ashamed of the behavior of the people I have seen in the show, and hope that as the show progresses I will see that they have grown. (Because if they haven't they may find an enraged me taking up Jamie's fight) The lunch ladies were not and are not ignorant. They may have been ignorant as to the way to go about making a change and standing up for a better way of living, but nearly everyone is ignorant of that. Imagine your own job, are there not things that you feel should be done differently to make life for those you serve better? But how does one person make that kind of difference? Those lunch ladies didn't, and I would wager still don't, have the power that Jamie has. He is a world renowned chef with money, fame, and influence. I'm not saying he is like a president or prime minister, but to a lunch lady, he might as well be. Those women are stuck in a horrible bureaucracy that dictates what they can and what they must do. I will admit that they could have acted with more excitement and eagerness at the chance to change the eating habits of the children they serve, but I can understand their reluctance. People in this area are portrayed as ignorant, uneducated, backwater hillbillies, and that makes them distrustful of outsiders. Is it right? No. Not at all. But understandable. I ask you, watch the episode again, and try to understand their position a bit better. You are a career lunch lady, in arguably the poorest state in America, in the unhealthiest city in America, and you have this man with his camera crew questioning what you've been doing for 20+ years. Its not going to be easy.

I think I've rambled on enough.

I'll say it in every post,

Thank you Jamie. Thank you very much.

Likes (0)

#44 Wed 24 Mar 10 2:02pm

nana2sullimar

My daughter is a public school teacher and I hear her tales of the "food" being served our children in SC, and it is not pretty.  I praise Jamie for this huge undertaking!  May it spread to the entire USA.  However, if I may recite 2 proverbs to remember: "Rome wasn't built in a day" and "when the going gets tough, the tough get going."  Persevere, Jamie.  And, to the rest of our great nation, we should all remember Jamie in our prayers.

Likes (0)

#45 Wed 24 Mar 10 2:06pm

HealthCentral

Jamie, you are my hero!  Thank you!!!   clap  clap  clap  clap  clap  clap

Likes (0)

#46 Wed 24 Mar 10 3:05pm

charrkel

Hey Jamie,

I applaud your Food Revolution and congrats on winning the TED award. The seed has been planted. Your show reminded me of PBS's Scientific American Fronters - episode: Fat & Happy, hosted by Alan Alda. Filmed back in 2001, it's another example of Americas obesity epidemic and with a message similar to your's in Food Revolution - we all need to change the way we eat to stay healthy. I do hope you get a chance to view this if you have not already. Well worth the view.

Danny, I hope you can pass this on to Jamie. Thanks, Charlie.

Well, I get an error when I post the link... try:
h t t p : / /   (with no spaces)
vsx.onstreammedia.com/vsx/pbssaf/search/PBSPlayer?assetId=68251&ccstart=0&pt=0&preview=&entire=yes

Sincerely,
Charlie
Miami, FL

Likes (0)

#47 Wed 24 Mar 10 4:11pm

sueof2

Jamie-

Just want to thank you for your new show. Saw the preview and it has really inspired me to try to cook better and eat better. We will be watching as a family every week. My daughter, age 11, has already made the decision to stop eating the "hot" lunches at school because it is the same 8 unhealthy things over and over again that they are just heating up in the microwave. I have signed your petition and hope that you can turn this countries mindset around. We are all so busy that we need something we can just eat instantly and have lost the importance of food- the nurishment of our bodies and our relationships around a dinner table. Keep up the hard work and thank you for caring about our children.

Susan
Chicago suburbs, IL

Likes (0)

#48 Wed 24 Mar 10 4:51pm

becfal

Hi Jamie,
I just wanted to offer my support for what you are trying to achieve with your food revolution.
I am sorry you have encountered so many ignorant people and admire you for your perseverance and tenacity.
Good luck,
Bec
Canberra, Australia

Likes (0)

#49 Wed 24 Mar 10 5:04pm

bunkie1

Forum champ
Occupation gardener/farmer
From eastern washington
Member since Sun 27 Dec 09

we taped jamie's show Sunday and just watched it yesterday evening. i thought he did a great job. there's a 2 hour show coming Friday. can't wait to see his progress.

the point made about the USDA approving all that food for kids, that was crazy! and the cooks (lunch ladies) thinking the food was healthy cause the first ingredient listed was chicken, beef, whatever, was amazing! as jamie pointed out, what about the rest of the list???!

jamie at the family's house where he cooked all their food and piled it on the table was another terrific, hard hitting point, imo. good job! i think the visual does help people to understand.

perhaps there needs to be some sort of course where kids can identify with the food they eat? maybe make it fun for them? can't wait to see jamie's suggestionms.

what shocked me at the school was all the food being thrown away! unbelievable!

go jamie go!

Likes (0)

#50 Wed 24 Mar 10 5:22pm

JudithKlinger

Member since Sun 14 Mar 10

Hopefully someone in Jamie Oliver's organization is responding to Michelle Obama's call for ideas on how to combat childhood obesity.
Its a lot of technical stuff, but at least they are trying within the established framework. A tiny baby step.
Others...jump in!!

Link here: http://www.regulations.gov/search/Regs/ … 6480abe53d

Responses need to be submitted by Mar 26.
Didn't know where else to post this.

Likes (0)