forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#61 Thu 25 Mar 10 8:06am

PattiCake

Member since Thu 25 Mar 10

Re: Chat about Jamie's Food Revolution and connect with others

I am excited to watch how Jamie deals with the people in Huntington.  I realize that it was edited down, so we didn't see it all.  They did show how hard it was going to be to change people’s way of thinking, so that should keep us all watching. 
As a teacher, I saw the continual pizza and "kids stuff will eat" served at our school.  Instead of feeding them healthy foods, they chose to give them enough calories for the whole day……..assuming that their parents never fed them.  They had breakfast and lunch at school.  I hear they have finally removed the pop (soda) machines from the high schools. Yea! 
We have been told that our county in Michigan was the most overweight in the country, so it is very interesting to see how and what changes will be made in Huntington.
Best wishes and Good Luck, Jamie!

Likes (0)

#62 Thu 25 Mar 10 9:18am

Mandi7882

Hello Jamie:

Writing  to you from California and would like to commend you on Food Revolution and what you are trying to do for the children. As I live in what is known as a 'healthy state' because most folks are thin, I can tell you they are thin and eating as unhealthy as anything. But that's another revolution for another day. The thing is about the children is that I am very upset to see and hear how the schools are giving them food, and I am glad you brought it out. It takes what you have started as grassroots to take seed and grow. As an American who grew up on the east coast, seeing this upsets me because it was not like this only a few decades ago. You need help in your revolution..an army so to speak and that army is the Parents of School Children. Win them, they will get to the schools and demand better for their children..and themselves. God speed, Jamie. clap

Likes (0)

#63 Thu 25 Mar 10 9:43am

carriecall

I am so embarrassed to be someone that lived in West Virginia because the people there treated Jamie terribly.  Besides the lady who opened her home to him and the pastor it was just so sad how he was treated!  He wants to help our children!  Don't these people know what he has done in the past!  Where have they been!  Why would you ever let your children eat the food that terrible school is feeding those kids.  The principal was just terrible...I am a teacher and if someone came to my school and tried to help our kitchen we would be so happy to have him!  Keep on keeping on!  I am praying for you Jamie!  I think you are sooooooo inspiring! 
Blessings,
Carrie smile

Likes (0)

#64 Thu 25 Mar 10 10:54am

kadeesmom

I hope that Jamie will read some of the things here and feels encouraged.

I am from the states.  I remember walking into my daughters lunch room and seeing what she was eating that first time.  I nearly freaked out.  I asked her why she was drinking chocolate milk when we don't at home.  Her response, of course, was because we don't at home.  Mind you she was five.  Even when I packed her lunch most of it would come home.  When I went to watch and find out why I learned that they let the kids decide how much time they would have to eat and how much time they would have to play at recess.  In other words if she sat down next to a friend who wanted to eat for only 10 minutes and then go play she would follow her friend out regardless of whether she was done eating or not.  It's a terribly helpless feeling to know that you want the best for your children, even in their eating habits, and other forces come right behind you to destroy all your hard work.  She was only in public school two years before I could not take it any more.  Extreme though it may sound we ended up pulling her out and homeschooling.  There were many reasons for pulling her out but one of the benefits is that now I know exactly what is in her food!

We recently moved to Utah from California and they have an interesting public school program here.  They feed any child under the age of 18 for four days of the week through the majority of the summer for free.  Seeing that the school serving the lunch is a block away from my house I took my kids (now I have three of them) to try it out.  Unbelievably the food is actually worse then it was eight years ago.  Thankfully the kids didn't eat the meal and we didn't go back.

The words American and humble are rarely used together but I pray that we will humble ourselves and truely listen to what Jamie is trying to get across to the us.  Jamie God bless you and your family.  Being military I understand being seperated from your family for an extended amount of time.  I thank you for your sacrifice.  Please DO NOT QUIT!! clap

Brenda

Likes (0)

#65 Thu 25 Mar 10 10:55pm

Heroine26

From Minnesota

Hi Jamie! You are to healthy eating what Al Gore is to the environment, thank God for angels like you!! People need to be hit over the head with facts and stories about real people and then maybe they'll finally want to change. Keep up the awesome work!!!!

A new but strong supporter in Minnesota

Likes (0)

#66 Thu 25 Mar 10 11:44pm

Sams Mom

Jamie what your are doing or have done is wonderful. It is wonderful how someone like you who finally noticed the statistics is making a change for our country and our states to make us healthier. Not to make us be perfect but healthier. You can be 180lbs and still be healthier than someone who is 90 lbs and suffers from anorexia.
I live in West Virginia and have all my life. No, I am not obese but I am not the perfect weight according to the national BMI scale. I would be looking like I suffer from anorexia. My family and I do try to eat healthy in our busy life and sometimes we do fall into the fast food change at times. I'm not perfect. I never was taught how to cook my family believed my education was the most important and I should spend my time studing. Cooking classes were turned into computer classes when I was in school. When I was off on my own from my mother and father. I lived off of box meals and take out. I gained a little weight. But I finally just became tired of fast food and box meals. I started receiving cooking books from my grandmother-n-law and started cooking. I figured if it was awful then I had nothing to lose. I would try tomorrow and make it better. It has been 8 years since then I'm still not perfect at cooking. At times I even forget and burn the noodles for pasta, but I keep trying.
Yes, Jaime at first the best resolution in your mind at times is to run when things get tough. The best people in the world never stopped trying no matter how hard it was. All the tough and wonderful things in the world were not built in one day. It took plans, failure and resistance to build everything in the world. But with the compassion you have for healthy eating you can do anything.
I wish you the best! Just remember there is 24 hours in a day to fix a problem, but once you fix the problem its resolved and a new day is always around the corner.  smile

Likes (0)

#67 Fri 26 Mar 10 3:38am

gaylewood

Member since Fri 26 Mar 10

Go on my son!
  Having moved from the UK to the US a year ago, I am horrified with school dinners here.  I have to admit, my children came from a village school in the UK where they received freshly baked bread, milk from the dairy 1 mile down the road and fresh fruit, veg and meat from the local farmers who had kids in the school.
    Here, my kids have packed lunches as I don't want them eating all the additives and preservatives served by the school.  I believe in everything in moderation and I can't do that when the schools are serving junk food constantly.  I also have issue with the way the schools use candy for good work.  My son has several pieces of candy a day due to this and he has definitely piled on the pounds and I am concerned for his future health.
    It is harder for parents here as there is so many additives in food that are seen as healthy.  What is with all the corn syrup here?
   I am not just another moaning Brit, many people I speak to have the same opinion as myself.  In Savannah, where I live, there is fantastic fresh fruit and veg ,fish and meat and I am dismayed that it is not used in school.
Keep up the good work Jamie. I am fully behind you.

Last edited by gaylewood (Fri 26 Mar 10 3:58am)

Likes (0)

#68 Fri 26 Mar 10 9:27am

butterbeans

Hi this is my first time.  I wonder if Jamie reads this stuff.  If you are a big hello and to all as well.  love to cook and learning new dihes.  I consider myseld an excelent basic cook but want to learn more.
just thought i had to write something.
butterbeans mrgreen

Likes (0)

#69 Fri 26 Mar 10 9:39am

butterbeans

yeh i like it.  this is quite easy, i dont know what i was worried about.  im so backward when it comes to online communities communication.  i was so pleased with my last attempt ill give it another go.  now i need to think of something to say.  maybe ill write back for that.
butterbeans mrgreen

Likes (0)

#70 Fri 26 Mar 10 2:14pm

luckiest1

Member since Fri 19 Jun 09

I am amazed at the publicity and awareness that this show is generating here in Canada......at my office, all the guys eat fast food or processed food, every day, every lunch.  I am known as the 'weird' one who brings in homemade things like oatmeal, soups, salads, pasta, curries, wraps, fruit salad, etc.  A lot of the time the guys have never even tried (or heard of) some of the things I eat, like avacado, mango, dates, arugula, etc.  They love to laugh at my lunch choices.

This morning I come into work as usual, with my apple/fennel/spinach/watercress salad and thermos of chai tea latte.  What are they discussing?  Jamie's Food Revolution.  Two saw the preview, one saw a piece on Entertainment Tonight about it.  They couldn't believe the little kids not knowing what a tomato was.  They also couldn't believe all the controversy it seems to be creating, as they all 'get' what Jamie is trying to do.  I really wonder if this might have an effect on the way they eat, and the way they feed their children, in the future.  Right on, Jamie!  It's definitely working!  Can't wait to watch the full 2 hour show tonight.

Likes (0)