forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 05 Apr 10 6:39pm

slbeckett

From Ontario, Canada
Member since Wed 12 Mar 08

Celery Root & Kohlrabi

I have often been tempted to pick these up in the produce section, but have no idea what to do with them. Does anyone have ideas? Can I cook the kohlrabi leaves like I would beet greens?

Thanks!

Last edited by slbeckett (Mon 05 Apr 10 6:39pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 05 Apr 10 7:28pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Re: Celery Root & Kohlrabi

The classic way to prepare kohlrabi is to peel and cut it into sticks (sort of like fries/crisps) and boil them in salted water until still al dente, but no longer crunchy. Often with a white sauce or hollandaise sauce or so.

Or peeled, raw possibly with a dip (like carrots etc.).

I shred them, boil them in salt water for just a moment. Then make white sauce using the cooking water and add the shredded vegetable back. Seasoned with salt, pepper and nutmeg. This doesn't look pretty, but is good with potatoes and bratwurst - an oldfashioned meal.

Then I sometimes use shredded kohlrabi in a ragu. To stretch the meat, add some texture and also to add a little sweetness (similar to carrots kohlrabi are a little sweet, but also have a slightly cabbagy taste to them).

Pieces of kohlrabi are also good in soups.

I never tried this, but have seen it in magazines: hollow out the kohlrabi and fill (not sure if they just bake the stuffed thing or if they boil it first...)

The peel and any woody bits can be used to cook vegetable stocks. They are edible theoretically, but the texture is not nice.

You can eat the leaves as well, yes. I haven't really tried them though (apart from throwing them in when making vegetable stock).

I hope this helps.

When you say "celery root" do you mean a celeriac? (big ugly beige irregular ball shaped thing?)
I only use it diced in soups and stews (like celery is used in other parts of the world), as I don't care too much for it's flavor when it's singled out. But people use it in baked root vegetables or to make purees and mashes.

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 05 Apr 10 7:47pm

slbeckett

From Ontario, Canada
Member since Wed 12 Mar 08

Thank you SusanneH, that's great! I'll give it a try this week!

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 05 Apr 10 8:39pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Thanks, Susanne.  I've only ever had kohlrabi raw.  I think I'd like to try it in a ragu.  That sounds so interesting.

Last edited by SonomaEddie (Mon 05 Apr 10 8:40pm)

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 05 Apr 10 9:10pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

De nada.
I adjust the seasonings then too. Less Italian, more cinnamon, Thai basil, chili. Enjoy!

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 06 Apr 10 12:47am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Celeriac (celery root) is fabulous added to a potato soup for that bit of lovely gentle celery flavour. Choose a young one and treat it like a potato. Once you have done that you will be more confident about using it in other recipes! smile

Likes (0)