Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Fri 16 Apr 10 11:22pm

TerryKay

Forum champ
Occupation Beer Reviewer, Freelance Writer and Pole Dancer at Peppermint Hippo.
From London
Member since Sun 06 Dec 09

Re: Why is my honey bitter?

cohphanta wrote:

Rare Hawaiian Organic White Honey by volcano Island Honey Co. It's fantastic. I eat it straight out of the jar. It's like dessert.....I don't want to mess it up by adding anything to it....I mean adding it to anything LOL.

Love the avatar.
Some people will be so happy. They reckon you should be anonymous until you've been here a year. lol
Being dyslexic myself I'd rather have a face to remind me who I'm chatting with (Be it faces, flowers or whatever). I'm not allowed one because it'd frighten the kids. wink

Brews views, beer reviews, and booze news. Choose YouTube's Beer Goggles Reviews
    Likes (0)

#22 Sat 17 Apr 10 1:38am

mrpab

Forum champ
Member since Wed 23 Jul 08

careful Terry, you'll bring down the wrath of God upon you .... roll

Likes (0)

#23 Sat 17 Apr 10 2:29am

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

TerryKay wrote:

cohphanta wrote:

Rare Hawaiian Organic White Honey by volcano Island Honey Co. It's fantastic. I eat it straight out of the jar. It's like dessert.....I don't want to mess it up by adding anything to it....I mean adding it to anything LOL.

Love the avatar.
Some people will be so happy. They reckon you should be anonymous until you've been here a year. lol
Being dyslexic myself I'd rather have a face to remind me who I'm chatting with (Be it faces, flowers or whatever). I'm not allowed one because it'd frighten the kids. wink

Thanks....I took that pic about a week ago.....

Likes (0)

#24 Sun 18 Apr 10 3:48am

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

The White Rabbit wrote:

I find that "unique taste" usually means awful

It is actually... well, the one I have is.

Likes (0)

#25 Sun 18 Apr 10 6:13am

ljbritt50

Occupation Gluten Free Cooking Coach and College Cooking Instructor
From Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Member since Sat 03 Jan 09

I use honey instead of sugar for baking and cooking. I buy two types of local honey from the same apiary. They are very different. One is light in colour and intensity and not as sweet tasting. The bees feed on the nectar of clover. The other is more amber coloured, much stronger in taste with an intense flavour. Those bees feed on wild flowers. I use the very light one for cookies and cakes as the flavour is more delicate. I use the darker, stronger one in cooking where the flavours are more robust. Both are lovely tasting and a pleasure to eat. The taste really comes down to the nectar the bees feed on.

Likes (0)

#26 Sun 18 Apr 10 6:23am

ljbritt50

Occupation Gluten Free Cooking Coach and College Cooking Instructor
From Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Member since Sat 03 Jan 09

Here is a resource that will explain things about the taste of honey in greater depth:

http://www.ontariohoney.ca/

Likes (0)

#27 Sun 18 Apr 10 3:30pm

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

I never ate honey until I had the Hawaiian stuff. IN fact when I'd go to Teavana I'd get sugar. One of the ladies there I became friends with would always try to get me to do honey. NO I HATE HONEY.  So, one day she put some on a spoon and said "TRY IT". OMG i've been hooked every since.

Likes (0)

#28 Sun 18 Apr 10 3:36pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Greek honey is one of my favorites.  I'm not shy about sweetness.  That doesn't really sound right. roll

Likes (0)

#29 Sun 18 Apr 10 5:34pm

nanstertoo

Forum champ
Occupation Retired nurse-midwife
From High Point, North Carolina
Member since Tue 17 Jun 08

I'm not really a honey lover, but I love the bees and recognize  the need for them. I do use honey occasionally in or on traditional Italian and Greek pastries/cookies, and I find I like the more bitter ones best.  It cuts the sweetness a bit.  I like Chestnut honey drizzled on Pecorino Romano or Grana cheese instead of a regular dessert.

The puns and plays on words in this thread were un-bee-lievable.  I know...that was really bad, but I couldn't resist.

Likes (0)

#30 Sun 18 Apr 10 6:22pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Speaking of bees and such, we will be getting a new hive this week.  Our other two are at a friend's house while our place is being worked on.   It will be nice to see the bees flying about outside my window again.  The people who own the property live next door and are okay with it.  It's the crazy old man in back that I'm not too sure about.  Some people are very ignorant about honey bees thinking that their sole purpose in life is to sting someone.  There was an old coot like that who lived down the road from my mom; he was sure his grandson got stung by a bee owned by someone who had a hive on the other side of a good sized lake.

Likes (0)