forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Sun 18 Apr 10 12:15pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: IS A HEALTHY FULL ENGLISH BREAKFAST POSSIBLE?

My husband does not like grilled bacon and so this is what I do....

Grill the sausage and tomatoes.

Heat a non-stick pan and to the DRY pan add the bacon to cook over a reasonable but not fierce heat , this will allow the fat to come out of the bacon.
Into the very little layer of fat that comes out of the bacon , add the egg to 'fry'. A lid on the frying pan will cook the top layer of the egg if you like it cooked 'easy-over' !

Black pudding...in the pan beside the eggs.( I never cook black pudding myself but I know it will happily cook like this in almost no fat )

For the fried bread (fried slice ) get a slice of bread and give it a very very thin scrape of the butter of equivalent on either side and pop this into the almost dry frying pan beside the egg to cook.

Baked Beans..heat gently in a sauce pan.

Mushrooms , well I only like mushrooms cooked lightly and so I slice them and cook them very lightly after the egg has been removed.

What else did you mention.... Hash Browns ..... Hash Browns .....on a 'Full English Breakfast ' Terry ? ...sorry ..not in my house !

I never think of Crumpets as part of a full English breakfast either.

Likes (0)

#12 Sun 18 Apr 10 2:18pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

I'm with MrP, please kill the caps, it's really annoying.

I'm going to lump "healthy fry-up" in the same category as 0% fat cream.  What's the point? 

There's no way you can make sausages, bacon and fried eggs diet food.  They're full of fat and salt.  Grill the sausages, bacon, mushrooms and tomatoes if you must.  Ketchup and beans are pretty good for you, especially if you get the low-salt versions.  Crumpets aren't part of a full English.  Have toast instead of fried bread.  Poach your eggs. 

But frankly, if you're watching your weight or trying to dodge an early salt-and-fat-induced grave, have some cereal instead.

Likes (0)

#13 Sun 18 Apr 10 2:57pm

TerryKay

Forum champ
Occupation Beer Reviewer, Freelance Writer and Pole Dancer at Peppermint Hippo.
From London
Member since Sun 06 Dec 09

Poached eggs sounds cool and I agree, yummy too. Maybe better tasting than fried, so a great idea there. What about grilled gammon steak sliced to bacon size bits. Is this healthier and would it be as tasty. What about black pudding, is that only unhealthy if fried?

Brews views, beer reviews, and booze news. Choose YouTube's Beer Goggles Reviews
    Likes (0)

#14 Sun 18 Apr 10 3:02pm

TerryKay

Forum champ
From London

Anna wrote:

have some cereal instead.

SPIT, COUGH, RABBIT FOOD!!!
Language please.

Brews views, beer reviews, and booze news. Choose YouTube's Beer Goggles Reviews
    Likes (0)

#15 Sun 18 Apr 10 3:16pm

TerryKay

Forum champ
From London

For those that get cross and irritated at my using capitals in the title.

Firstly, are there not worse things headlined in the papers going down on this messed up planet than my use of capitals for a headlines?

Secondly, it helps my dyslexic eyes to notice them if they stand out.

Thirdly, they stand out. (I'm not one to hide in the shadows)

Forthly, I was always taught (back in the day) (and probably because of my illegible, illigitimate scrawl) to use capitals for a title.

Sorry if I offend (truely), and I can see this driving a wedge somewhere but I'll stick with the CAPS. Sorry. smile

Likes (0)

#16 Sun 18 Apr 10 3:52pm

TerryKay

Forum champ
From London

Anna wrote:

I'm going to lump "healthy fry-up" in the same category as 0% fat cream.  What's the point?

As with any new healthy food ideas, there are always those knee jerks that will insist that healthy food is sawdust and salad.
Personally (just my tastes) if I were starving I'd rather dig up worms and snails than eat sawdust and milk. I feel sure that there are others out there to that love a cooked breakfast and shy away from the pot-pouri bowl (spit).
Poached egg on toast, grilled lean gammon, and tinned tomatoes sounds much more appetising.

Likes (0)

#17 Sun 18 Apr 10 4:00pm

TerryKay

Forum champ
From London

mummza wrote:

My husband does not like grilled bacon and so this is what I do....

Grill the sausage and tomatoes.

Heat a non-stick pan and to the DRY pan add the bacon to cook over a reasonable but not fierce heat , this will allow the fat to come out of the bacon.
Into the very little layer of fat that comes out of the bacon , add the egg to 'fry'. A lid on the frying pan will cook the top layer of the egg if you like it cooked 'easy-over' !

Black pudding...in the pan beside the eggs.( I never cook black pudding myself but I know it will happily cook like this in almost no fat )

For the fried bread (fried slice ) get a slice of bread and give it a very very thin scrape of the butter of equivalent on either side and pop this into the almost dry frying pan beside the egg to cook.

Baked Beans..heat gently in a sauce pan.

Mushrooms , well I only like mushrooms cooked lightly and so I slice them and cook them very lightly after the egg has been removed.

What else did you mention.... Hash Browns ..... Hash Browns .....on a 'Full English Breakfast ' Terry ? ...sorry ..not in my house !

I never think of Crumpets as part of a full English breakfast either.

Great post. Very helpful. Cheers honey. Love the lid on eggs to cook top. Usually have to splash them with hot fat to cook tops.
Taking notes on these knowledgable ideas. Cheers again.

Likes (0)

#18 Sun 18 Apr 10 4:13pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Terry, I believe ham is lower in fat than bacon, but I'm comparing to the bacon we get which is 'streaky'.  I haven't had a full English, not my cup of tea, excuse the phrasing, so I'm not familiar with the style of bacon used.  Another suggestion, reduce your portions by half of the greasier elements.

Likes (0)

#19 Sun 18 Apr 10 4:17pm

DebDiMaggio

Forum champ
Occupation Newbie Mamma
From Italy-UK-Spain
Member since Mon 16 Jun 08

I have had kuorn sausages, steamed mushrooms, granary toast, microwaved bacon (which leave the fat off on the paper) and poached egg.

Likes (0)

#20 Sun 18 Apr 10 4:32pm

nanstertoo

Forum champ
Occupation Retired nurse-midwife
From High Point, North Carolina
Member since Tue 17 Jun 08

You guys are making me hungry, and I just had breakfast! yummy

Likes (0)