forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 03 Jun 10 2:12pm

mommyof2nc

Forum champ
Occupation Mommy, wife, chauffeur, chef, nurse, maid, occasional zookeeper...
From North Carolina, USA
Member since Thu 18 Mar 10

New York/Jewish Rye Bread?

I'm looking for a recipe for New York Jewish-style rye bread.  Does anyone have one?  I've tried so many recipes and have been disappointed time and time again.  Is there some sort of additive in that type of bread that's not commonly sold in grocery stores??  Not sure what I'm doing wrong.  I make pumpernickel bread, sourdough, whole grain, etc. and don't have any problems making those - just the Jewish rye bread.  Any tips would be appreciated.   smile

ETA:  Just wanted to add that I'm really just looking for whatever produces the distinctive flavor of Jewish rye bread.  The loaves I've made in the past all rise/bake up fine but they just don't taste like they should.   hmm

Last edited by mommyof2nc (Thu 03 Jun 10 2:14pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 03 Jun 10 3:06pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Re: New York/Jewish Rye Bread?

Could it be caraway seed?  It's a common addition to dark breads here in Europe (especially in Germany, I think) so that might add the distinctive flavour it needs.

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 03 Jun 10 3:57pm

mommyof2nc

Forum champ
From North Carolina, USA

I thought it was caraway seed but I've experimented with different amounts of it and it's still missing something.    hmm

Does anyone have a recipe that you know is good?

Last edited by mommyof2nc (Thu 03 Jun 10 4:00pm)

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 03 Jun 10 4:08pm

TSR

From Serbia
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

Are you using stone-ground rye flour? The slow, coarse grind makes all the difference, since it doesn't produce enough heat to kill the germ in the seed. How long do you rest it for? I like to put little yeast in my rye bread, and let it rise for at least 4-5 hours before plunging it into a screaming hot oven.  evil

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 03 Jun 10 5:04pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Make the new bread with old bread big_smile

http://www.reciperascal.com/dans-new-yo … rye-bread/

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 03 Jun 10 5:26pm

mommyof2nc

Forum champ
From North Carolina, USA

Awesome!  Thanks Kye!  smile 

TSR - I haven't used stone ground rye flour because there's only one type of rye flour available (not stone ground) in my local store.  I need to call around and see if any of the other stores in our area carry the stone ground and see if that helps, too. 

Thanks everyone for the tips.  Hopefully one (or all) of these will solve my problem.

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 03 Jun 10 6:25pm

TSR

From Serbia
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

mommyof2nc wrote:

I haven't used stone ground rye flour because there's only one type of rye flour available (not stone ground) in my local store.  I need to call around and see if any of the other stores in our area carry the stone ground and see if that helps, too.

You're more likely to find it in health food stores since they don't have a very long shelf-life. It makes quite a differance in taste and texture though.

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 03 Jun 10 9:22pm

mommyof2nc

Forum champ
From North Carolina, USA

Thanks again TSR!  I'll look next time I go to the natural foods store.  I only go one or two times a month because it's about a half hour away.

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 03 Jun 10 9:55pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

In Germany other spices often used in breads (besides caraway) are coriander and anise seed (sometimes replaced by fennel seed). The three mixed together are often sold as "Brotgewürz" (bread seasoning).

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 03 Jun 10 10:00pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

kye in france wrote:

Make the new bread with old bread big_smile

http://www.reciperascal.com/dans-new-yo … rye-bread/

clap  thumbsup  very interesting