Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 25 Jun 10 11:31am

Earthmum

Forum champ
Occupation HR / mum / jack of all trades
From England
Member since Mon 21 Sep 09

Risotto

I have to confess that I have never ever made a Risotto, though I about 3 weeks ago I bought a packet of risotto rice and have been trying to pluck up the courage to have a go.

Last night my eldest went to to a friends for dinner and his Italian mother served Risotto, he said it had peas/spinich and white fish in and a poached egg on top.  Does anyone have any recipes for this, or at least some pointers - I haven't a clue.

thanks

Gem

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 25 Jun 10 11:50am

danthemackem

From Sunderland, UK
Member since Mon 06 Jul 09

Re: Risotto

Don't be scared of risotto and please pluck up the courage to try this basic recipe:
http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/riso … tto-recipe and add any meat, fish or veg that suits...

It's so much easier than you may think and if done properly, you'll be rewarded with some of the most delicious, comfort food you could ever imagine...

(you may have guessed, I love risotto)

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 25 Jun 10 11:55am

sergio1972

Forum champ
Occupation NLP Trainer and Coach
From Portugal
Member since Tue 09 Dec 08

Hi Earthmum,

Well I dont have that specific recipe but it shouldnt be hard. Sometimes I think theres a myth surrounding risotto that makes people think its very hard to make. In fact its quite simple. Ok there s a bit of arm work involved but other than that its actually one of the recipes that gives me more pleasure to make.
All risottos have 1 thing in common: stock.
The one you mentioned above either has fish or veg stock.
There are plenty of recipes here check them out.

Here's one of my favourite
http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=43518

You dont have to do it with king crab you may replace it for lobster or shrimps.
Also one tip I got from Jamie: in the end you always add either butter or parmesan and cover with a lid for a minute before serving. If its seafood or fish risotto you dont add parmesan. You can either add butter or cream.
Cheers  thumbsup

Hmm risotto... dribble

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 25 Jun 10 12:11pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

There are quite a few threads on the forum about risotto , this one I think has some good tips in it.

One of the main tips that I will give you is ..have a good quality of stock and keep the stock  hot , for this reason , the stock adds the flavour to the rice .
If you add cold stock to the rice whilst its cooking , the cooking process will stop for a few moments whilst the stock heats.Adding a hot stock does not do this.

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 25 Jun 10 12:28pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Yep, keep the stock simmering on another hot plate and add it by the ladle.  We've had loads of people come on the forums and ask why it takes them 45 minutes to cook a risotto - as mummza said, not much point adding cold stock.

Also, you don't have to furiously stir non-stop, but don't leave the kitchen while it's cooking. 

Just add the spinach at the end, when you leave it to rest (this stage is important, don't omit it).  It'll wilt in the heat.  If using fresh peas, do the same.  If frozen, defrost then add a minute before the end of cooking time, before you take it off the heat to rest. 

I'd definitely add Parmesan to this variation on the basic theme, and separately grill or fry the fish.  I think you risk breaking the fish up into pointless little bits if you try and add it during the cooking/stirring process.

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 25 Jun 10 12:39pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Earthmum , did you see Jamie's last TV series, in one program , he made a 'batch' of white risotto and used this as a base to make several others.. after the show I tried to make a tomato risotto in this way..results were excellent.
http://www.jamieoliver.com/bloggers/vie … p?id=61827
As Anna says you don't need to stir the risotto all the time.
But make sure you have a rice that is suitable for making risotto as you will find that it gives a better result.

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 25 Jun 10 12:40pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

I have been told
carnaroli rice for risotto
onion or leek and oil in a separate pan
on the pan you are going to cook it ............just nothing but the hot pan ............. and throw the rice in it stirring until the rice is roasted but not burn nor colored

then you can start adding the vegs you like or fish or mushrooms you have prepared in a separate pan

as already said keep a boiling stock near you and  add ladles of it while stirring for the minutes written on the rice instructions i,e, 16 or 18 mins

good luck
and add a good sound piece of butter at the end with fire off and mix it with the ladle until it melts and gives your risotto the final touch  .............. before parmigiano wink

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 25 Jun 10 1:45pm

AliceTwain

Member since Tue 11 May 10

danthemackem wrote:

pluck up the courage to try this basic recipe:

As a risotto maker myself, I thinik that Jamie's recipe os quite ok, with a couple big objections.
Don't calculate the time you need to toast the rice, rather let it toast (stirring) until the rice turns translucent and sart "singing" (emitting a thin, whistling-whizzing sound). This is when you need to add the wine.
Don't add the stock bit by bit stirring. Add lots of stock at once, until the rice is submerged, stir once (even better, shake the pan) and let it cook over a low fire. The toasting is a sort of very light parbolingin procedure, that allows the rice to cook evenly without sticking. if you stir, the rice releases the amid, sticks and does not cook evenly. So, avoid stirring (except for the occasional shake) until the rice is al dente, then start stirring vigorously to let it releasse the starch and turn creamy. Besides, cooking it without stirring you also have time to do other stuff!

(By the way: poached egg over risotto... Ntch! Totally unitalian!)

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 25 Jun 10 1:46pm

AliceTwain

Member since Tue 11 May 10

madamada wrote:

onion or leek and oil in a separate pan

One of Gualtiero Marchesi's worst ideas ever... sad

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 25 Jun 10 3:03pm

madamada

Forum super champ