Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Fri 25 Jun 10 3:07pm

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

Re: Risotto

Everyone has their own way of doing things and suggestions are just that...

If if works for you and you enjoy it then go with the flow. thumbsup

Last edited by shammrok (Fri 25 Jun 10 3:08pm)

Likes (0)

#12 Fri 25 Jun 10 3:11pm

DeniseH111

Forum champ
Occupation SAHM of 4
From USA
Member since Sun 28 Mar 10

I've never made risotto either.  In fact, until last month, I'd never eaten it!  I finally had it at a restaurant in Disney and it was to die for!  Now I understand all of the hooplah around it!

Likes (0)

#13 Fri 25 Jun 10 3:17pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

shall I start the famous Nelo's  real paella neverending thread for risotto  roll  lol

Likes (0)

#14 Fri 25 Jun 10 3:19pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

madamada wrote:

shall I start the famous Nelo's  real paella neverending thread for risotto  roll  lol

Sure, Madamada.  It's better than arguing politics and religion.

Likes (0)

#15 Fri 25 Jun 10 3:21pm

AliceTwain

Member since Tue 11 May 10

Marchesi had this idea of removing the onion from the risotto basis becuase he saw just too many people burning it. But adding a mistake to a mistake does not correct the mistake. Indeed his rositto usually turns out less tasty and much fatter. If you just simmer the onion over a very low fire until it softens and does not start to turn golden and immeditaley add the rice it will not burn. besides, a good risotto requres that the onion is totally melded, and to achieve this you need to cut the onion against the grain in really very thin slices so that it totally melts while cooking. Instead, in his version you get the onio still whole at the end. shocked

Likes (0)

#16 Fri 25 Jun 10 3:23pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life

I have heard that you can discuss politic and religion knowing just 300 words of a language and using your dribbling ability
wink

Likes (0)

#17 Fri 25 Jun 10 3:29pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life

ciao Alice my instructions on how to make a risotto come from a generous great friend and cook of a nursery kitchen school I worked in, I personally think he is a great chef, and sounds like this

let your finely sliced onion go with oil without letting it color in a pan, if you use onion for your recipe.

if you use other vegs or other ingredients the same

I mean I have been told to add these to the toasted rice, that is stirr the rice in an empty shocked yes empty hot pan

and add the vegs after that to the pan with rice wave

with all respect for Marchesi big_smile

Last edited by madamada (Fri 25 Jun 10 3:29pm)

Likes (0)

#18 Fri 25 Jun 10 3:33pm

AliceTwain

Member since Tue 11 May 10

The nere fact of not using onion to make risotto is quite balsphemous. The only risotto that does not use it is Risotto alla pilota (or al puntel), which is actually a pilaf. This said, the onion goes in the same pan, first the onion, then almost immediately the rice. It tosting the rice in the onion-inflused fat that gives risotto the flavor. if you toast the rice without the onion it will never absorb the flavor, since once toasted the rice is nearly everything-proof.

Likes (0)

#19 Fri 25 Jun 10 3:59pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life

http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewto … 72&p=7

the paella story went on for 7 pages  crossed how can we go on discussing different recipes for the same dish without being pedantic
roll  big_smile

Likes (0)

#20 Fri 25 Jun 10 4:01pm

mrpab

Forum champ
Member since Wed 23 Jul 08

mads, you forgot to dribble!  dribble  dribble  dribble

Likes (0)